Ethics...

Clair

Hypothetical (or not!) situation:

You live next door to your paying guests, a group of 5 active retired people. One of them happens to mention that he’s always kept a daily account/diary of his holidays, to remind himself of said holidays and also to pass on to his children and grandchildren in later years.

One afternoon, the guests are away and you find the notebook under the outdoor table, blown off by the wind.

Do you:

A) Put it back on the table without opening it?

B) Take a sneaky look to find out what they REALLY think of the place?

To be continued…

If the guest is still on the property, I would knock on the door and advise him that you think there is something in the garden that belongs to him.  He can then fetch it.

If he is not on the property, I would go pick it up and put it on their terrace table or door step, held down by a weight (rock, etc.).  I wouldn't read it - I don't really think I would have any interest in reading it.  As for what they may have written about the property, perhaps nothing - even so, I prefer to read what they write in the guest book.  It usually gives you an accurate account of their thoughts and it is meant for you.

One gal's opinion..

I'd read it, wouldn't be able to resist even though I might regret it later, or then again might not.  A visitor staying with us once didn't have any stamps and asked us to post his cards for him after he'd left.  I really didn't mean to, honest, but whilst sticking on the stamps my eyes just wandered a cm or two to the left.  And I barely recognised myself or my home from his descriptions.  It changed our relationship entirely and we welcomed him with open arms on his next visit.  Question:  perhaps that was his intention???  M

I would not read it but draw his attention to it.  Pandora's box.

I once lived in an apartment that overlooked my daughters school, I also had a telescope to look at the stars!  I could so have easily looked into my daughters' classroom, but I always, always resisted the temptation as I was too scared to see what I might find.  

Deby

Don't know how you resisted, Deby!  I used to drop my kids off at school and then stop for a coffee in a friends house over the road.  Her child was in the same class as one of mine.  If I stayed long enough to catch playtime I couldn't resist watching through the living room window - and neither could she!  No way I could live where she does as my routine would be based around the school playtimes!  I'd also probably spend a lot of time worrying as they always seem to play so rough.........

Debra

Continued…

So you have not been able to resist and a quick flick of the notebook confirms what they have been telling you:

“the owners X&Y are very welcoming and helpful, yet discreet. The house is great and we’re having a fantastic time…”

and just as you were closing the notebook, feeling smug and also slightly guilty at your indiscretion, you catch a glimpse of a name, your doctor’s, who came at your request two or three nights ago, to treat one your your guests who was suffering from earache.

“… the doctor arrived at 10. X agreed to translate for us… Shortly after he left, A was overtaken by an irresistible urge and had to relieve herself on newspapers in the bedroom..."

WHAT?!??

Do you:

A) get your spare key and sneak into the gite to check the damage?

B) think they could not have damaged the place, they're respectable retired people?

To be continued...

Shortly after he left, A was overtaken by an irresistible urge and had to relieve herself on newspapers in the bedroom...

Tea all over the keyboard moment!

Well I never!  See if you peep that is what you get. I think it is very funny mind you and would not criticise you at all - just down to personal choice really, but it does not make you wrong or a bad person!

Debra,

I used to watch my daughter at playtime too and noticed she did not play so well with the others, but then I chose another child at random and watched him/her, soon I noticed the same.  The telescope would have given me an excellent view inside the classroom, but felt that if I was their teacher I would object, plus if I did see anything that I was not happy with, what could I do/say? I spared myself the worry and angst.

Deby

Come on - you already know the answer.  It would be absolutely disgraceful to intrude on a private diary.  It's sheer disrespect and they would have every right to be furious if they knew.

If you want to know what they think of your place just ask!  I agree - "a sneak will never hear any good of themselves".

Wow. I would have put the book somewhere safe as another poster suggested.

I wouldn't have looked into it any more than I would delve around in a handbag belonging to someone else.

Postcards are different, as they are open to view, and i'm sure Margaret would not have been given them to post if the content had been unfavourable to her.

Don't go sneaking into the Gite, the guests, if they are nice, will do the right thing as regards any 'damage'.