Different rates for different people?

DZ

Hi, I hope you can help me with my dilemma. 

We have "une maison secondaire", which we rent very occasionally to friends and acquaintances for a set rate (very cheap by English standards, btw).  A local woman looks after our house and cleans after the guests (she happens to be Polish).  She has now asked if she could book the house for her Polish friend and was shocked to hear the amount of money she would be required to pay. 

I am now wondering if I'm not being mean.  The house is standing empty and it could be used by someone for a nominal fee, but is it advisable to get into such double-standard arrangements (ie. different rates for English acquaintances and people from a poorer country)?  I don't want to upset my very good housekeeper, but am wondering about the wisdom of entering into special arrangements...

Has anyone on the forum had such a problem to consider?

When we started renting out, I said to my friends that as long as they came out of season, we could offer them a good discount, but if they wanted to come in high season (July-August), they would have to pay the full rate, as this is when we make the real money that makes the whole thing pay for itself... almost!

DZ

As the house is not your primary business but a holiday home, I would have thought that this would allow you more leeway with fees.

If it was me, if I was happy with the cleaner and not going to be out of pocket, I would be inclined to let her friend use it as a one off, cheaply.

Presumably this is a once off event and what arrangements you have come to with your Polish renters is nobodys business but your own. If the house is standing empty and its not peak season and you are happy with the service being offered by your changeover person I would be very prepared to consider a (once off) substantial reduction on your normal letting rate- after all what have you to loose other than the goodwill of your local caretaker!

I would make it very clear how much of the year you are prepared to let her friends have this rate - say a month in total out of your renting period otherwise you may find she has lots of friends wanting a holiday...........although your change over ladies good will is worth an awful lot!

DZ, I think your cleaner sounds like a lovely and trustworthy lady.  After all could she not have given her friends "the nod" and kept the rent?  Would you have been any the wiser.  As others have said, if it is during weeks where the gite is standing empty why not?

Yes, I was very impressed with the woman's honesty. as you say, Katie, she could have just used the place without ever telling me!  We have now made a deal about the occasional renting.  She is a very proud person and would not hear of the very low rent I offered her - she insisted on double that! 

Thanks a million everyone who responded - I think this forum is like one big wise friend (well, most of the time!).