To Many people

Milk maid

Hi this is my first post on here so I will appologise for my bad spelling before I start.

I have a small gite for 2 people, the people that are in at the moment have turned up with thier 18 year old son and his friend. This is the first time in 3 years that this has happend, has it happend to any of you? and what did you do about it?

I think you have to be firm, state that they have rented a gîte for 2 people only. They of course will now be in a difficult situation and can't really turn out the 18 yr old and friend. If you feel this is the case then tell them that there will be an extra charge of xxx euros for the extra guests. No doubt the boys will be using extra water for showers (or maybe not at that age[Www]) and their stay is bound to cause more wear and tear on your property. Don't go into detail but do make the extra charge.

Are the son and friend staying for the whole time or just a couple of nights and then moving on? Perhaps they have brought sleeping bags with them.

Good luck and hope it all works out well.

We require names of tenants as well as numbers. (ages if children).

In fact we have just had one (very moaning) renter who abused us by adding on one teenager. Am still debating whether to apply the extra costs (linen etc. as in  the rental agreement) and issue a censorious note about taking the mickey.

Regards

We have never had the same thing as you happen to that degree. We have a gite for 2 people only and have French renters at the moment and the booking form states 'Number of children etc' Anyway they didn't put anything down for children as it states that this property is unsuitable for any. They turn up sunday getting out the car with a infant!!! We tell them they said nothing about the child etc which they say they did. Had to show them the booking form and 'Oh' Then they argue over which one of them filled it out etc, Anyway we had to let them stay it was late etc and we told them that we were not happy about the situation. They promised to keep the baby in the cot upstairs as that was the main concern and block the satirs at the bottom. We would have offered a travel gate for the stairs but we just noticed that some other renters look to have taken them home with them![:@]

As far as your problem goes I think i would say that nothing was on the booking form about the excess persons and the gite is advertised as 2 people only. Then as they are simply taking the p*ss you should then tell them that the price is double as its twice the number that it should be. If they do not like it then they could take the excess to a local hotel for the week or they could all leave and forfit the holiday fee.

This may sound nasty and some may not agree with me but they are simply taking advantage and hoping that you will let them all stay, Probably for nothing to. Gites are not a charity they are a business and should be run as such. Would anyone turn up to a restaurant and order a meal for 4 and only pay for 2 and expect to get away with it?

I look forward to hearing what the outcome is. Cheers[:)]

[quote user="Thebiga"]

This may sound nasty and some may not agree with me but they are simply taking advantage and hoping that you will let them all stay, Probably for nothing to. Gites are not a charity they are a business and should be run as such. Would anyone turn up to a restaurant and order a meal for 4 and only pay for 2 and expect to get away with it?

I[/quote]

If the cost of providing the accomodation doubled then I could understand your argument but what is the real incremental cost of the teenager and his friend.

Maybe it is a regional thing but I have often been invited by friends to visit them on holiday and share their gite, villa, swimming pool etc. I am always working so have never taken them up on it. The extended family of my neighbours are at present on holiday in Spain where they have rented a villa, they told me proudly about each forthcoming week of their stay and the other families that would be staying with them, there will always be between one and two extra families sharing that villa.

J.R

I think this is all about extra wear and tear, more bed linen, water costs i.e. showers, extra loads in the washing-machine etc and generally not sticking to the letting contract, assuming there is one.

When a holiday let  is occupied by multi families who come and go, who takes the responsibility?

A great idea, considered a right by many, is "we've rented a house, we will invite friends and family to stop over and doss down as we wish." I think this shows a lack of respect to the owners and people are taking advantage.

Make sure the numbers and charges are clearly stated on the booking form e.g. The house sleeps 6 - 8 people plus a baby. This price xxxx  is the price for 6 people, there will be an extra charge for more people. As Owens said, make sure the clients provide the names of all (adults and children) who will be staying.

I certainly couldn't take the laid-back approach and I would feel as though I was being taken advantage.

My contract states that the gite and facilites are only for the use of the people named on the booking form. As for reasons to give the "guests" I would quote the contract and then the conditions of the gite insurance, and it doesn't matter whether you embroider that to your own benefit. Infants in a gite unsuitable for under 5's, perhaps because of the steep stairs or similar is definitely wrong.

Good luck

Sid

It's one thing to book a holiday home for 10 or 12 and invite friends to join you, but in this instance, the sleeping capacity has been exceeded.

I have had enquiries for up to 10 people for a property advertised for 6, and I am told that "babies don't count".

Well, I'm quite sure they would count if they had an accident whilst on my property...[8-)]

Even if the sleeping capacity had not been exceeded, I would expect the guests to mention if they were planning to have visitors and more so if these are staying overnight.

We've had this type of discussion here before and there are two clear camps: those who say "I've paid, so I'll do what I feel like" and those who say "the contract you've signed says you can't do this"...

I think I would chalk it up to experience and quickly change the contract

I guess you could always say that unless the family pay for the extra guests it invaldates your insurance, then I'd ask for an extra 25 - 50% of the rental ...to keep it 'legal and above board' [;-)][;-)][;-)]

Looks a delightful cottage. As a 'punter' I think your guests have a cheek and they need to be told that only 2 can stay. If you accept additional payment then you are opening up the property as a four person property.

If it was me trying this I would expect to be told that I was in breach of contract and asked to leave without any return of money.

Paul

Thank you all for your comments. It is very difficult when this happens and this time I was not readdy for it, I will be if future and refuse straight away, had it been small children I would have turned them away at once because of the ponds in the back garden and the stairs, so that would have been a safty issue, but 18 year olds were a bit of a shock, I didn't think 18 year olds went on holliday with thier parents !!!

[quote user="Cendrillon"]J.R
I think this is all about extra wear and tear, more bed linen, water costs i.e. showers, extra loads in the washing-machine etc and generally not sticking to the letting contract, assuming there is one.

When a holiday let  is occupied by multi families who come and go, who takes the responsibility?

A great idea, considered a right by many, is "we've rented a house, we will invite friends and family to stop over and doss down as we wish." I think this shows a lack of respect to the owners and people are taking advantage.

Make sure the numbers and charges are clearly stated on the booking form e.g. The house sleeps 6 - 8 people plus a baby. This price xxxx  is the price for 6 people, there will be an extra charge for more people. As Owens said, make sure the clients provide the names of all (adults and children) who will be staying.

[/quote]

A good reply Cendrillon, the bit I have highlighted illustrates perfectly the values and mindset of people in my locality, if the booking terms were as you suggest the problem would be minimised.

If this is not done then would what the renters are doing be any different (in their minds) to booking a channel crossing by car and then deciding to take an extra passenger or two?

Technically speaking, adding extra people who are not on the contract could be classed as sub-letting the property, which is a violation of pretty much any official contract. (and it certainly should be on a home-made contract) You can use that to get rid of them if it comes to it.

Exceeding the capacity could cause insurance problems, breach fire regulations or any number of other reasons could be used to get rid of them.

I have decided to let them stay (coward that I am) and chalk it up to experience. One of the problems is that the contract is in english, and as these are my first French renters I sent them an english contract, I will now make ones in French.

Don't worry, Milkmaid............I'm sure I would be the same.

You'll toughen up in time and might even earn a reputation as a Female Basil Fawlty!

Just stop smiling at them and show them a grumpy face to let them know you are doing this under duress.

Is it really the end of the world?

Life is short, let's keep it sweet....

I manage a portfolio of properties for absentee owners, and have done so since the early 1990s. Keeping calm and smiling is the only way to get through the season! Yes, some guests are horrendous, yet others are so lovely you become friends. You have to take the rough with the smooth.

Having said that, a good contract in French is essential if you are letting to the non-UK market, and you need to put your 'house notes' in French too.

This sort of problem probably won't arise again with such a small property (no crit implied!), the scope for extra bodies is clearly limited.

None of our clients with bigger houses say that you must only accept pre-named people, it's pointless, does it matter for example if the teenage daughter brings a different girlfriend with her? All of them state a maximum capacity, and we have not had a problem with this.

Now I need a drink, my Zen attitude has been sorely tested today with lost luggage in Toulouse, guests who've lost their keys and someone with broken dentures. That's after last night's electrical storm did some damage. I'm waiting for the plumbing problem, there's bound to be one, every damn plumber in the area is 'en vacances' until the end of the month!

Oh it sounds like you have lots of fun with that lot polly.

I suppose I am a bit over protective of my cottage, but after living in it for 17 years (and doing it up with my late husband) I just have a bit of a hard time when its full to the gunnels. I do keep zen most of the time and most people that I have had in over the past 3 years have been wonderful.

[quote user="Milk maid"]I have decided to let them stay (coward that I am) and chalk it up to experience. One of the problems is that the contract is in english, and as these are my first French renters I sent them an english contract, I will now make ones in French.[/quote]

I appreciate this a is a difficult situation. If you are going to let the matter go I would feel inclined to address the problem by mentioning to them, that the gîte is for 2 people only and asking just where the two boys are sleeping. You could also say that this time you will kindly make the exception.

[quote user="Polly"]Is it really the end of the world?

Life is short, let's keep it sweet....

I manage a portfolio of properties for absentee owners, and have done so since the early 1990s. Keeping calm and smiling is the only way to get through the season! Yes, some guests are horrendous, yet others are so lovely you become friends. You have to take the rough with the smooth.

Polly in fairness you are a manager it is not your personal property that might be abused so perhaps this attitude is easy to adopt.

Having said that, a good contract in French is essential if you are letting to the non-UK market, and you need to put your 'house notes' in French too.

This sort of problem probably won't arise again with such a small property (no crit implied!), the scope for extra bodies is clearly limited.

None of our clients with bigger houses say that you must only accept pre-named people, it's pointless, does it matter for example if the teenage daughter brings a different girlfriend with her? All of them state a maximum capacity, and we have not had a problem with this.

The original problem is about exceeding numbers.

Now I need a drink, my Zen attitude has been sorely tested today with lost luggage in Toulouse, guests who've lost their keys and someone with broken dentures. That's after last night's electrical storm did some damage. I'm waiting for the plumbing problem, there's bound to be one, every damn plumber in the area is 'en vacances' until the end of the month!

[/quote]

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

Polly in fairness you are a manager it is not your personal property that might be abused so perhaps this attitude is easy to adopt.

[/quote]

As a manager I reckon have to be even MORE careful as it's not my property, and if I get it wrong I don't get paid and/or I lose the contract!

Oh, and in the past I used to let my own permanent home in France and move out to a campsite for several weeks. Many of my French friends still do let for 4 peak weeks and go on holiday elsewhere at the same time. They see an empty house as a wasted asset.

Oh, and in the past I used to let my own permanent home in France and

move out to a campsite for several weeks.
Many of my French friends

still do let for 4 peak weeks and go on holiday elsewhere at the same

time. They see an empty house as a wasted asset.

That happens a lot in the U.K. as well especially in the West Country and Wales. Poeple let their homes and move into a caravan for the season.