Possible 'Swine flu' and guests

Thebiga

" I think at this stageI'd be writing them a letter saying  something along the lines of :

' I'm sure you will agree that it would be

morally wrong  to purposely  jeapordise the health of fellow guests who

will include young children and pregnant women, we are happy to offer

you an alternative date but in the circumstances cannot offer a

refund.' You may be able to  claim on your travel insurance (unless they have already told you they don't have it)"

I am with Russethouse on this one.

I don't see why Thebiga should lose money over this especailly as the clients did not bother to cover themselves with travel insurance.

[quote user="teapot"]

I vote with Scooby, it was my thought too.

RH, re let, they are comming next week I believe from the first post so that is unlikely.

I know, but it doesn't do any harm to show willing and might illicit a definite 'we are not coming' response from them which would save a lot of hassle

Definitive letter from GP where is it?

[/quote]

Back to the original posting.

[quote user="Thebiga"]

We find ourselves in a position that someone coming to stay in a weeks time has just informed us that one of the two people in the party has gone down with Swine Flu and that they think they are next. So to me their arrival looks unlikely.

"They want to know where they stand with the booking? The way they seem to be talking is that they did not take out any travel insurance and seem to be wanting money back. As we have all said, that's their problem and not yours.

How do any of you think we stand. For us and the rest of our guests with small children etc it would not be good etc.

Are they entitled to money back or are our terms and conditions that we set out stating that they have understood and read them going to cover us. We have not seen your Ts and Cs but I am sure they say that you will not refund last minute cancellations, whatever the reason.

What would someone else with a gite complex do as I know plenty of you have gites.

Thankyou "

[/quote]

Thebiga

Is there any progress?

Edit:

Have just read RH's posting.

Can you contact the clients asking how they both are, wishing them a good recovery then say you will try and re-let the gite if they are not able to come and in this case suggest that you would refund some of their money.

Of course it is all very last minute so fairly unlikely that you'll get anyone else.
A few years ago we managed to re-let a week that was cancelled due to illness and that was at extremely short notice.

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="teapot"]

I vote with Scooby, it was my thought too.

RH, re let, they are comming next week I believe from the first post so that is unlikely.

I know, but it doesn't do any harm to show willing and might illicit a definite 'we are not coming' response from them which would save a lot of hassle

Definitive letter from GP where is it?

[/quote][/quote]

Absolutely, give them every every opportunity. I think I would offer them 10% of a booking next year (should pay for travel insurance) If they don't show.  I would probably re-fund the cleaning costs as that has not actually cost you anthing. But then I am a softy. [:)] 

We asked them as soon as they told us about the swine flu and they asked us what the worse case was if they could not come. We told them that if they were cancelling then we would re-advertise straight away and if we could book the week then we would refund them the money paid.

Anyway they said no don't re-advertise I will keep it just incase one could come and they would try and sort out the paperwork we asked for. I really don't see one of them coming all the way to france with the possibility that they could go down with it when here and with no one to help them really. 

They have not said as such but after us telling them that in our terms & conditions that we recommended taking out travel insurance to cover the holiday etc, They seemed to clam up a little and the insurance wasn't mentioned as we said why not just claim on your insurance.

I think they are playing a bit of a game here to see who folds first really, They are looking for money back but have no insurance and we don't want to be the ones to cancel them as under our T&C's we would have to refund all monies paid. Lets see if they at least get the doctors letter and see if one is willing to come and holiday alone. I really doubt it but we shall see.

Thanks people for all your input and some very good comments that we could use if it comes to it.

Don't fold. If they didn't take out travel insurance, it is their problem, not yours. If you they cancel and you get another booking, fair enough, you can refund, minus your costs. I don't suppose they paid by credit card? If they did, then they would probably be covered by their card provider insurance. That is why I take all payments by cc now, people generally don't bother with travel insurance and there is no way you can force them to take it out.

TheBiga

I agree with what you have said re folding and you recognise that you would be liable should you cancel on them, however I would play a waiting game and not push too hard on the Doctors attestation.

The reason for this is that when they dont produce it or refuse you would be put in the position of cancelling their booking and it is not really legal or legitamate to ask for health screening of your guests unless of course it is in your T&C's [:D].

You have done the right thing in offering to relet the week which they have refused, so either they are hoping that you will fold or are indeed intending that at least some of them will make the trip, if it is more than 7 days from when they first showed symptoms than they will no longer be contagious and will probably need the holiday that they have paid for.

Agree, don't fold their illness is not yor fault, they should have taken out holiday insurance. If you have an autoimmune condition, you absolutely don't want to be exposed by holidaymakers knowingly carrying the disease, I think it's grossly unfair of them to put you in this situation.

Cerise, unless your relatives had a swab test for Swine Flu that came back positive, medical advise is to treat general sniffles, sore throats and coughs as not being Swine Flu. Also unless you have a high fever, you have not got Swine Flu.

I have several close relatives who are doctors and they all say that if you have Swine Flu even mildly you know about it feeling very unwell for at least several days and all the people I have known come down with it have said it was not a pleasant experience and this includes a Royal Marine!. Mildly in medical terms means that you do not have complications, it does not mean you feel only mildly unwell.

There has been another very prevalent non related viral infection doing the rounds this summer, many of the symptoms mimicking Swine Flue, such as fever, sore throat, cough and headache, but it usually passes within 48 hours.

Also less one becomes over complacent latest WHO statistics show that 40% of people developing serious complications have no previous underlying health conditions. Also apparently smokers are at heightened risk.

Well everyone the result is that we e-mailed them last night to ask how things were going and had a reply this morning that the one who did not have it now does have it and they are cancelling the week they booked with us.

Have asked that we supply a brief letter for them to give to the travel insurance company!! They never actually admitted to not having any insurance but did not like it when we said about money back etc and that they should have taken out insurance. They got a little uppity about it and it came across pretty clear that they did not have any 'At the time'. I do think that they have gone out and got some insurance in the meantime. Anyway if the insurance company get intouch with us as I think they will we will have to tell the truth all according to what questions are asked and they may find themselves in a spot of trouble, But again we shall see.

But as far as we go, We are happy that any hassle is now over and we have a day off on Sunday. Yipeeeeee... 

"Well everyone the result is that we e-mailed them last night to ask how

things were going and had a reply this morning that the one who did not

have it now does have it and they are cancelling the week they booked

with us."

That's great news Thebiga, what a relief for you.