Do you charge for firewood?

jerrytlr

Title says it all really - just wondering if it is normal in France to charge guests extra for firewood for the woodburner in the Gite, or whether I should be suppying it for free. There is electrical heating too but to get the Gite really warm then the woodburner is also required....

I'm currently charging €2 for a basket of logs, which covers my costs but not a lot more...

Cheers,

Jerry

hi ok

Like you we used to supply free logs , but you find out it gets abused , some guests you to like sitting in front of a roaring log fire with the doors and windows open  because  " It`s too warm in here " . I just tell them they are €60 a stere and find out they only burn a modest amount so never end up charging them.   " nowt as funny as folk !!! "

Dave

We charge 20 euros a week (or pro rata) in winter - partly because our rental cost in winter is as low as possible anyway.  For the 20 euros they get unlimited kindling, logs, etc and access to a log pile which is kept topped up for them.  As we all know, it is surprising how much wood even a small woodburner can use if kept going 24 hours per day.