Beaux Villages Estate Agents

We have been on the mailing list for the above and continue to get emails (possibly automated) sent most days with their latest offerings. We are serious buyers, however over the past couple of weeks all personal dialogue from them has stopped. We have left several messages on their answerphone and also sent several emails, however all have been unanswered. There has been no indication that they are on holiday, any idea's ?

Nothing to worry about, they are probably on a beach somewhere, having left a photograph of the staff in the shop window, with the messages Nous sommes en vacances. Like our Pharmacy, and best of all a huge Camping Car Sales with something like half a million euros in stock on the forecourt closed for most of August when I would think their sales would be at their best. C'est la Vie

Mrs B.

Yes, if you come over here you will get used to France closing down for August! There is a house being built just up the road from us - well it was until the 1st August, but all has been stopped since then; they probably can't get any materials anyway![:)]

[quote user="Bugsy"]Nothing to worry about, they are probably on a beach somewhere, having left a photograph of the staff in the shop window, with the messages Nous sommes en vacances. Like our Pharmacy, and best of all a huge Camping Car Sales with something like half a million euros in stock on the forecourt closed for most of August when I would think their sales would be at their best. C'est la Vie Mrs B.[/quote]

That is the best one that I have heard to date by far Mrs B!

And you have beaten tough competition like tourist information offices etc [:D]

I shall remember that one and add it to my repertoire.

• 2 months later...

[quote] Following this question re non response to calls etc. [/quote]

Just phoned the Monsegur office receiving a charming response from a lady with excellent french and very good english.

I have no connection with BV other than a an AliceBox with free fixed line phone calls to 103 destinations, including metropolitan france.

[:D]

I'm sorry to say L&G, that what you are experiencing is the level of service that passes for normal in France, once you spend any length of time in this delightful country and it really is wonderful in many respects, you will realise that customer service is virtually unknown. It's one of those things that you get used to; and learn to deal with in a different way than in the UK or the USA. Don't give up, for every beautiful house you miss out on; there is a better one round the corner. [:D] 

[quote user="NickP"]

I'm sorry to say L&G, that what you are experiencing is the level of service that passes for normal in France, once you spend any length of time in this delightful country and it really is wonderful in many respects, you will realise that customer service is virtually unknown. It's one of those things that you get used to; and learn to deal with in a different way than in the UK or the USA. Don't give up, for every beautiful house you miss out on; there is a better one round the corner. [:D] 

[/quote]

Didn't George Bush senior say something like "The French have a word called auntropreneur but they don't know what it means"? Perhaps he would of been better off using the word "customer service" instead. Two things I keep handy on my computer ready to print off when required is a copy of the French Consumer Rights law and the EU version (thanks to Clair who gave a link some time back). It would seem that very few French people who own or work in shops know little if anything about it and when you point out the particular piece relevant to your specific problem they basically pull a funny face and say they didn't know. I guess as customer service is none existent there is no point on sending people on customer care courses by they sure as hell could do with going on one. Although I am not too sure if at times they hope you don't know your rights.

I remember being in a shop to buy two leather settees. It was about ten to twelve and we wanted to ask what colours they did them in, we were ready to buy, I had a wedge of money in my hand, "sorry we are closing now for lunch, your have to come back after two", we went to a shop that was open and spend just under 10k. Seems to me they have about as much business sense at a lemon but then thats France I guess.

• 1 month later...
[quote user="Quillan"]

It was about ten to twelve and we wanted to ask what colours they did them in, we were ready to buy, I had a wedge of money in my hand, "sorry we are closing now for lunch, your have to come back after two", we went to a shop that was open and spend just under 10k. Seems to me they have about as much business sense at a lemon but then thats France I guess.

[/quote]

Customer service? LOL

I went to the closest Point P for a quote for some wood (around 4500euro worth)...

them : sorry we don't do that sort of wood

me: you do do wood i can see it in the yard, i only want a quote

them: you will have to go to our other place as they do that specific wood

me: but you have the same computer system

them: you have to go blah blah ...

so i did and got there at 11:30am

me: i would a quote please for ...

them: we're closed

me: really? the door was open

them: we're just about to lock it

me: what time do you shut!!

them: 11:45

me: but it's 11:30

them: we're closed, come back at 1:30

me: but i've got 4500euro to spend

them: 1:30

me: bollocks to you

so I went elsewhere...

customer service .. my arse

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just an update on the original post. I do not know how or why the earlier difficulties came to be - non response to emails and messages left on the central answer phone, however we visited their office in Verteillac a couple of months ago. They are very much still in business, and we are in the process of buying a house in that area through them. BV in Verteillac could have not have been more helpful, and indeed are doing things that indeed go beyond their call of duty.