Is EUR 410 to close a pool for winter correct ?

baypond

I have read a few of the posts about closing swimming pools down for winter, and I will certainly be attempting it myself next year. This year I asked a local swimming pool company to do it for me ( as I am knew to running a pool) and they sent me a bill for EUR 410.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much these pool companies usually charge, or is EUR 410 par for the course. It seems excessive.

I havn't paid them yet as I wanted to get an idea if it was a fair charge.

Pool is 10 x 5m , saline.

[quote user="baypond"]

I have read a few of the posts about closing swimming pools down for winter, and I will certainly be attempting it myself next year. This year I asked a local swimming pool company to do it for me ( as I am knew to running a pool) and they sent me a bill for EUR 410.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much these pool companies usually charge, or is EUR 410 par for the course. It seems excessive.

[/quote]

Did you not ask them how much it was going to be ? Even bugbear just gave you a devis!! and you didn't ask him

Danny

well... I had a devis for opening the pool, and their charges during the year for maintainence seemed fair. I called them on the tel from UK to ask them to close the pool. I may have recd a devis, but it is a holiday home, so we don't always see the mail in between visits.

I only really wanted to see if the cost was comparable to what others have seen...

[quote user="baypond"]

[/quote]

What are you going to do if people tell you that it is too expensive, refuse to pay them ?

depends what pool it is - is it a Magiline pool? (the one with paper filters) If so I think its reasonable as they are not as easy as others we do. Actually the one we did on 1st December should have been 2 x that price as it was sooooo cooold! We were waiting for the special winter kit to arrive. We normally charge a monthly fee for opening,closing, a weekly visit and chemicals all included - fixed for 1 year - no expensive opening and closing costs.

Steve

Just to give you some idea , my wife and I closed our 10m x 5m pool down this year and I guess it took around 3/4 hours.

1) Remove leaves and hoover.

2) Reduce water level to below skimmers

3) Block off skimmers and add winterering fluid.

4) Drain everything off in pumphouse.

5) Clean filter ( Diamantes)

6) Fit winter cover ( we had to replace the bungee straps ) they only seem to last 3/4 years.

Materials .  Fluid 20 euros     Straps  50 euros

Labour 5 hrs 

Guess 400 euro is not far off the mark.

Presumably if you didn't ask for a devis it is the charge they have decided to levy.

I am not sure on what grounds you could question it.

As to whether it is 'correct'  to spend that much on closing a holiday home swimming pool   which is bigger than many people's apartments,  you could refer to the monthly income of a British OAP (around 400 euros)  or a French person on the RMI (454,63 €)