Hi,

Just a point. having read the Article L122-1 which says " le ressortissant vise a l'article L121-1 qui a reside de maniere legale et ininterrompue en France pendant cinq annees precedentes acquiert un droit au sejour permenent sur l'ensemble du territoire francais"

I read this as acquiring residency status after 5 years, not citizenship. I think it's important to understand the difference. One has to apply for citizenship, it is not automatically granted. Once granted, you can vote in French elections and to all intents and purposes, you are French.

Please note the above only applies if you are not considered to be a menace to public order!

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember that when similar changes were implemented in Spain there was a program on UK television highlighting the plight of those affected. I cannot remember what channel it was on and who presented it but maybe someone else can.

If so perhaps they can post the details and it might be worth contacting the production company to see if they would be interested on a follow up program from France.

I have received a reply from one of the MEPs (Gary Titley) to whom I wrote. He has said that this is 'a very important issue' and he has received correspondence from not only me.  He has written (copied to me) to Jim Murphy the Minister for Europe to seek clarification of the French position and the UK's reaction to it particularly in regard to the rules being applied to existing residents.

If anyone would like a copy of the letters then please email/pm me with your email address.

You are right, Lisa.  The lack of any response from this blog is a bit depressing.  As DM's is rather good, I wonder if we might bring up the point on there about the communications from the Embassy in Paris - making the point about the mis-information, and the fact that we get passed off to a French department which doesn't know the rules either.  Not the way British Citizens (and voters!) should be treated IMHO.

As expected I have just recieved an anti EU tirade from the assistant of Nigel Farage (Leader of the UK Independence Party) in response to my e-mail outlining the health system changes.

Interesting that it was automatically moved to my Junk mail folder[:D]

[quote user="Glyn"]

As expected I have just recieved an anti EU tirade from the assistant of Nigel Farage (Leader of the UK Independence Party) in response to my e-mail outlining the health system changes.

Interesting that it was automatically moved to my Junk mail folder[:D]

[/quote]Mmm, I got one too.  Seems like fraud to me that these people are paid by an institution they so dispise.  What an intuitive junk mail folder you have there.

[quote user="cooperlola"]You are right, Lisa.  The lack of any response from this blog is a bit depressing.  As DM's is rather good, I wonder if we might bring up the point on there about the communications from the Embassy in Paris - making the point about the mis-information, and the fact that we get passed off to a French department which doesn't know the rules either.  Not the way British Citizens (and voters!) should be treated IMHO.[/quote]

Excellent idea and that would open the door for more of us to 'chip-in' with our comments

At the moment I am using a scatter gun approach with my lobying. Writing e-mails to MP's and MEP's listing all the areas of the changes that I feel that are unjust. However I am wondering if we should be concentrating on those areas that we have the best chance of changing.

I think it is highly unlikely that the changes will be dropped completely so perhaps we have the best chance of changing the legislation so that it is not applied retrospectively to existing residents. To achieve this it is likely going to require the EU to put pressure on the French government.

Secondly we need to ensure that the 5 year residency rule is confirmed together with clear rules as to how it will be implemented.

In the longer term the UK government needs to ensure reciprocal arrangements are made for its citizens to receive healthcare wherever they reside within the EU.

I know that I may be rambling a bit but I find that in these times just putting my thoughts down in words seems to relieve the stress slightly[:D]

If I may give my opinion as an "outsider" (I dont live in France or UK at the moment).

Looking coldly at the situation you are a group of immigrants trying to change the publicised Government plans. No Govt can afford to backtrack on such an issue. They would alienate their electorate.

I think the point of attack should be to isolate one aspect and hammer away at that. The logical (to me anyway) point is the inhumanity of withdrawing state medical cover from those who, due to existing medical history, will not be able to get private medical insurance. They are the ones who are, by any measure in the civilised World, being forced into an untenable situation.

Its no good expecting a total capitulation on all aspects but the "lack of humanity" aspect may give the French Govt some "space" to grant a concession.

P/D, in a lot of places, this is the best approach, that's for sure - it's the old hearts and minds thing.  And it's potentially what could happen to anybody whose healthcare is in the hands of profit-making insurance companies in the future.  All input gratefully received and all opinions welcome - "outsider" or not (and I'm sure we don't think of you as one!  Makfai doesn't live here - yet - but he's giving it his all!)

Coop,

Why didn't I think of the Hearts and Minds phrase?.  A tug at the heartstrings is usually a good way to get support, plus the implied accusation of uncaring inhumanity. It may even get the French public behind it - maybe ( I wouldn't hold your breath though on that one).

Unfortunately I cant lobby MPs etc, I dont have one, or an MEP for that matter. I somehow dont think the local Arab Govt would be interested. [:(]

I agree with Glyn

I was under the impression - maybe misapprehension - that in general laws and statutes should apply prospectively and not retrospectively, well I believe this to be the case in criminal law! I am no lawyer and have no legal knowledge ( so I may have this all wrong) but understood a country such as France with its "déclaration des droits de l'homme et du citoyen" would not find it easy  to pass such legislation ??

Maybe there is a case to challenge on legal grounds  a retrospective ruling that is without doubt going to be a cause of hardship for many people??

That's fairly standard, Jazzer - many haven't.  We're having a lot more luck with some though.  We should be "up and running" shortly, and hopefully will then be able to give you a bit more solid info' about the best people/means of approach and the things which are beginning to work.

P/D : Does that mean that you no longer have the right to vote in the UK.  For us in Europe you can vote by proxy or post for years after you move - in your old constituency. I'm surprised that doesn't apply to you.

Nickel : This is an approach we are looking at.  There are several legal avenues we could go down, but it's a matter of sifting through the legislation and sorting what's viable and what isn't.

Anybody who wants to know more, or can help us, please e-mail me.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

P/D : Does that mean that you no longer have the right to vote in the UK.  For us in Europe you can vote by proxy or post for years after you move - in your old constituency. I'm surprised that doesn't apply to you.

[/quote]

I have been out of UK (this time) for 16 years. I assumed that I would have lost voting rights, I havn't actually checked.

[quote user="makfai"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]You are right, Lisa.  The lack of any response from this blog is a bit depressing.  As DM's is rather good, I wonder if we might bring up the point on there about the communications from the Embassy in Paris - making the point about the mis-information, and the fact that we get passed off to a French department which doesn't know the rules either.  Not the way British Citizens (and voters!) should be treated IMHO.[/quote]

Excellent idea and that would open the door for more of us to 'chip-in' with our comments

[/quote]It's there

http://blogs.fco.gov.uk/blogs/david_miliband/archive/2007/09/26/13660.aspx#comments

Get on it, you lot![:)]