My head is fuzzy from trying to understand any of this.

Mr Coeur de Lion

I'm not an uneducated woman.  In fact, I've a Bachelor of Commerce and graduated with Distinction, but when I read these topics I see another uncomprehensible language that I must master.  It's blowing my mind!!   I have just come out of hospital and am under strict instructions to not put my mind and body under any more strain, so after a couple of hours of reading, I am turning to you.

Is there some very kind person out there that could give me a smudge of information that might relate to my specific case.  I think I'll have better luck trying to work from the smaller picture up than trying to understand the whole thing.

My husband and I are both British and Australian Citizens (dual nationality).  We are currently living in Australia (six years) so I don't think these E111's...etc...etc apply to us.  I know that France does not have a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia, so I don't believe there is any E???'s that I can get from Australia.

So, we will be moving to France with no health cover and no intentions of working or starting a business.  We are just going to sell some of our houses, get a lump of cash (about 400000 euros) and behave like vegetables for a couple of years while I recuperate from a severe case of burnout.  (Must learn to become lazy rather than workaholic)

Can I just have no health cover at all and take the risk that my medical costs will be close to the cost of health insurance or must I legally get insured?  As nearly all of the posts on this forum relate to people moving from England, people of retirement age (I'm 37) or people will limited funds, I wonder what a person like me is to do?

Any insight????? Anyone???  Thank you in advance for anyone who can help.

Richards wife.... Lynda

Makes you wonder how us poor souls with just O' levels cope with the French system doesn't it

As far as I know, as a resident ( you will be here for more than 183 days) you will HAVE to join the French Health system, and as you have no residual cover from another EU country, you must do this within 6 month,  but if you have no income except capital savings, which are stuffed under your mattress, then you will pay nothing.  HOWEVER , if you are receiving interest on your savings, this must be declared to the French tax office and you will pay income tax AND the social charge which helps pay for the French health system.  You could of course, like a number of your countryman here,  just keep your heads down and hope you do not have an accident or get ill 

Thank you Ron for giving us some insight into health cover possibilities for me and my husband when we get to France. It is so true that it is not what you know, but who you know

Although we feel that we should be able to cover most of our medical expenses, it is extremely reassuring to think that we may be entitled to some basic medical care should an extreme medical condition present itself. (touch wood). The medical contribution based on income tax appears very similar to the system operating in Australia (Medicare).

This issue has been causing us so much frustration in an attempt to unravel the intricacies of the French health system, so please accept our deepest thanks in helping to bring this issue down to a level which we can comprehend.

Richard's wife.... Lynda

As none EU citizens you will first need to apply for permission to live in France before you can enter the French medical system. This can be done at the Prefecture of the Department where you intend to settle. You will need to provide evidence that you can support yourselves comfortably. You will be taking an enormous financial risk if you don't have any hospital insurance. The rest you can finance yourself without bankruptcy but it still ain't cheap. I would advise some sort of external private medical insurance contract with european cover.

It is my understanding that if residing in France permanently then you must join the French system and you have to pay contributions based on your last years income.  If you had a high powered job that paid a high powered salary in Oz then you would pay your first years contribution based on that, with the second year based on interest earned on your world wide capital.

No doubt if Peter Owen sees your posting he will give it to you chapter and verse.

weedon

[quote]As none EU citizens you will first need to apply for permission to live in France before you can enter the French medical system. This can be done at the Prefecture of the Department where you intend ...[/quote]

Surely we already are European citizens? I was born in the uk, my wife in Australia but we both have British passports (my wifes father is English). My belief is that we can just walk into Frnace and buy a property. At least thats what we were told by the French Embassy in Australia.

Lynda's husband......Richard

[quote]It is my understanding that if residing in France permanently then you must join the French system and you have to pay contributions based on your last years income. If you had a high powered job tha...[/quote]

I still wouldn't mind paying on last years tax, which since it is late in May and the Australian tax year finishes on June 30th will undoubtedly be this years tax before our properties are sold.  Capital Gains Tax will be the thing that hits us this year because we have start-up business losses to cover our business earnings.  CGT (Capital Gains Tax) is expected to be around 180000 euros on the sale of two of our properties (the other one is our private residence).  I think I read somewhere that it is around 8% of Taxable Income which I think we may be entitled to a 50% reduction on the CGT component.   Still, when you've spent your life in the backwaters of Australia, even 10000-14000 euros seems a small price to pay to be somewhere that has a history, and buildings, and museums, and rain!  So excited about seeing something green!!!!!! 

Will this entitle us basic medical cover (hospital cover included) or would we need to get private medical insurance as well for hospital cover?

Can I just say how much I appreciate your assistance in helping me to wade my way out of this quagmire.  You are the best!!

Richards wife..... Lynda

If you both have a UK passport then you will be considered EU citizens and have a right of residence in any EU country. It is longer a requirement for EU citizens to apply for a residence permit. (Carte de Sejour). The previous posts are correct in that you will be obliged to register and contribute to the French health service and the cost is around 8% of your gross income. You will then receive the same benefits as French people and receive a state contribution to your costs of up to 70% generally and more under certain circumstances which are complex. You will then also have the opportunity to take out a top up mutuelle or  cover with a commercial insurer. This debate has been recently discussed on the forum. I personally believe that mutuelles are not good value for money and commercial insurers offer a better product for hospital top up costs. The remaining costs such as 30% of pharmacy and other none hospital care can be funded by yourself comparatively economically.

[quote]Could you please clarify - you say that contributions are 8 per cent of gross income, but if your income is very low does this still apply? Thanks.[/quote]

I believe that if your income is below or at the threshold of the SMIC rate (income support) then you will receive 100% medical care costs from the state. This is the total costs of any medical care and not the mutuelle definition of 100% which is a different interpretation and very confusing. I have no idea what this income threshold currently is but I am sure it is very low and dependant on your financial and family circumstances. Like any means test it will involve masses of paperwork, form filling, sitting around in offices and grovelling to officials.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you all.

My head has returned to it's normal state.

I was getting so confused with all these E111's etc which we cannot have, but now I see that we just give them 8% of our income and we can join their health system. 

Not really too sure what the difference is between gross income and taxable income which is the term we use in Australia.  Is Gross income all income before any deductions such as CGT deductions and business expenses? 

Richard's wife.... Lynda

Gross income is what you earn before any deductions and the figure you will declare to the French revenue each year in March for the previous tax year. As a resident you are obliged to declare your global income and will receive a tax bill in the following September based on that declaration..