Flu vaccine

Clair

The winter 2008-09 flu vaccine will be available in pharmacies from 10 October.

The steps are simplified for those who received a flu vaccine voucher jab last year. Pharmacists can now hand over the vaccine to these people upon presentation of the voucher sent by the 

health authority and a nurse can then administer the jab without the need for a medical prescription.

The vaccine is free for people aged

65 and over and for people with certain long-term illnesses regardless

of age (diabetes, heart failure or severe respiratory, severe epilepsy

...).

The vaccines offered are:

• Agrippal,
  • Fluarix,
  • Fluvirin,
  • Gripguard,
  • Immugrip,
  • Influvac,
  • Mutagrip,
  • Previgrip,
  • Tetagrip (needs a prescription)
  • Vaxigrip.
After immunization, the body needs 2 weeks to create antibodies, the

vaccine preventing the disease during the year following vaccination.

Generally speaking, a flu epidemic starts in October and ends in March.

http://www.service-public.fr/actualites/00348.html?xtor=EPR-140

Hi!

Extra information:

La procédure reste la même que les années précédentes pour toutes les

personnes qui se font vacciner pour la première fois avec un bon de

prise en charge.

i.e. if you have this for the 1st time, you still are requires to go first to your " médécin traitant" to check if there are no counterindications.

Yours,

giantpanda

• 2 months later...

Please don't strike me off as I have never done this before.  I've bought my flu jab and given it to myself so I have nothing to contribute.

But, Clair, your attention, please.  I sent you a PM.  Could you be very kind and send me an answer, however brief?  Thank you.

Just to say don't hold your breath this year as I don't think they got the right virus. Why, well guess what, I had mine as soon as it came out (about 7 weeks ago) and I got a runny nose on Tuesday and by last night I have full on flu. My best vaccine is a bout 3 very big hot toddies, hot bath, paracetamol then off to bed. OK it don't cure the flu but after that I don't really care and I sleep like a log.

[quote user="Quillan"]

I never knew colds were sexually discriminatory. [;-)] . So whats the difference, I mean flu v man cold?

[/quote]

It was suggested to me once that if someone told you there was a £100 note lying in the garden and you could go out to get it then you've got a cold and not flu; if you really have flu you wouldn't care less. I agree that if you're posting you've got "man flu" rather than the real thing. Get well soon.

[quote user="mooky"]Quillan, get better soon. I really don't like this sexist man flu lark. If someone feels ill they feel ill whether man or woman.[/quote]

Nobody denies you can feel grotty with a really bad cold but it's not on the same scale as flu.

Ah I get it now. Strangely I caught this off the wife, she swears its flu and has been in bed for the last 3 days so she must be right. Thought the Daily Male article was spot on, why do you think I've been told to get up and not make a fuss, tea, soup, get the fire going (took me over a hour to get 4 bits of wood off the wood pile yesterday).

• 2 weeks later...
To date we have not received our voucher although we have in previous years.  We asked our doctor and he thought that it was very strange so gave us a prescription for the vaccine.  The pharmacy wondered why we hadn't received the voucher so telephoned CPAM in Limoges.  They were told that there was a dispute about whether British residents should have this vaccine.  Four of our friends are also affected.  We were given the vaccine (and administered it ourselves!).  We wait to find out if CPAM covers the cost which is only 6.25€ each but if the rules have changed why have we not been informed?