carte européenne d’assurance maladie

LarneTim

Hello All

Looking for some info on carte européenne d’assurance maladie, the following website http://www.anglophone-direct.com/The-carte-europeenne-d-assurance lists an English speaking contact number. But I can get through anyone esle know if the number has been changed.

• To receive this card, write, ring or visit your local CPAM at least two weeks before travelling. (the CPAM now have an English speaking telephone line 0820 904 212 to advise and help out with administration)
  •  

All of the CPAMs now operate through a single central telephone number - 36 46 - so they may well have discontinued the English helpline.

It's quite simple to order a CEAM on the phone.  They'll ask you for your social security number, confirm your name and address, then tell you the card will be send out in the post.

[quote user="Maricopa"]I don't know about the telephone number, but you can apply online.  See my post on this thread.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick response Maricopa, I only found out about this card on Friday and we leave next week. Oh well.

I was hoping to talk to them as we are getting conflicting information. We are in France for two years and during this period my wife isn’t working, I have a Card Vitale and my employers tell me that she and the kids can use my social security number when they visit the doctor / chemist.

Now this sounds good in theory, but as we have experienced it causes a lot of confusion. Can someone give me the real info. Are we are all entitled to cards, can the kids can be added to my card and can my wife can get a separate one.

Thanks in advance

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

All of the CPAMs now operate through a single central telephone number - 36 46 - so they may well have discontinued the English helpline.

It's quite simple to order a CEAM on the phone.  They'll ask you for your social security number, confirm your name and address, then tell you the card will be send out in the post.

[/quote]

I did that - it never arrived, even after I'd come back from my trip.

There has been another post on this subject, and depending on how you get your health insurance, it seems that now some have to apply to the UK.

I do wish they would really sort this one out!

[quote user="Judith"] There has been another post on this subject, and depending on how you get your health insurance, it seems that now some have to apply to the UK.

I do wish they would really sort this one out! [/quote]

Judith, it has been  sorted out.  From 1 March 2010, you have to apply to your competent state, in the case of an E121 holder from the UK living in France, the UK, for an EHIC.  That brings the UK into line with other EU countries as part of the EU wide health care/charges normalisation programme.

Simples!

Tony,

Yes indeed, supposedly. 

What confuses me is this:  the EHIC is for use outside the country of issue - so when I am back in the UK, in theory it is not valid,  but because I now live in France, neither am I "subscribed" to the NHS.  Now I suspect that on my returns to the UK if I did need emergency treatment, since I am quite obviously English, my right to treatment would not be queried (which is why when the CEAM had not arrive for my last journey back, I did not worry too much) but somehow it seems to create a very complicated system.  And I don't think you can apply on line for an EHIC, from overseas, at least according to my recent email from then regarding this, where they say you have to apply through the postal system, though you can apply online when you live in the UK.  So once again bureacracy wins out - it should not have to be as complicated as it very much seems to be to me.

Sorry Judith I don't see what the problem is.  This has only been enacted within the past two or three weeks in the EU.  It is impossible to say what the system is because the UK government hasn't set it up yet and they have already committed to making application available online.

For goodness sake, at least give them a chance to get something in place before you start saying it's bureaucracy for the sake of it or it's over-complicated so we can actually see what the system is, complicated or not.

And I'm sure that somebody will work out that the card needs to be a different colour or have a particular computer code on it to identify people living in the EU, unless you know something to the contrary.

Just for the record, I started the process to renew (online) our CEAM cards a couple of weeks ago. 

Applied for and received our 'access code' after about 5 working days.  Immediately went back online to request the cards and they duly turned up today, about a further week on.  I've not been slow in the past to complain about French bureaucracy and in particular CPAM, but this process works really well.  Let's hope that the new process works just as well.

By the way, expiry date is end-July 2010.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

For goodness sake, at least give them a chance to get something in place before you start saying it's bureaucracy for the sake of it or it's over-complicated so we can actually see what the system is, complicated or not.

[/quote]

Ok - but that's not much help if you need to have it sorted - now! 

But Gardian,

Are you here on an "E" form?  It seems that is where all the problems are arising, lack of knowledge / information on both F and E sides, plus a recent change is not helping.  I agree, that the French system does seem to work, but not if you are applying to the  wrong place, as then they do not tell you it is wrong!

OK Judith, I can only speak for the E121 situation, which is where we are.  Nothing more to say really - as described above.

As for the "recent change", I presume that you're referring to the future change which Tony F gave notice of.  Well ........... it's in the future (next year) and we'll doubtless find out in due course what we have to do to navigate the system.  For the moment, it's helpful to know that there's going to be a change, but no worries for now.  

Sorry, I'm obviously missing the point here somewhere.

Judith, do you have a carte vitale?  If so, you apply to your local CPAM office for the EHIC card and, if you've come to France with any sort of E form and it's still in force, they will deal with your application.

If you don't have a carte vitale, you need to ring the appropriate UK body, probably Newcastle and discuss your needs with them. 

Tony,

Yes, I have my carte vitale, (via the E106, which will change to an E121 in October), BUT, every time I have tried to get a CEAM (online, tel call) it has not worked ie it has not arrived.  And now I am told I need to get it from the UK.  You can see why I am just a little short tempered on this matter.

Who has told you that Judith?  If your E106 has run out, you may have a problem but if it's still in force, you should visit your CPAM, no matter how inconvenient that is, and make application there and then so they get your request on their computer and dealt with on the spot.  Internet and telephone obviously isn't working so in person is your only option.

Thanks for all the input since I looked earlier today.  Perhaps you now see why I am just a little confused - as well as irritated. 

So - with an E106, do I go to CPAM or back to the UK?  Can some-one, somewhere, give me a definitive and correct answer???

E106 holders should use a UK-issued EHIC.

I have not yet found an official source for this specific to French residents, but the advice given by the FCO to E106 holders in Spain is "When visiting the UK, you will still be able to access NHS services

under the normal rules. E106 holders should continue to use their

UK-issued EHIC when visiting a third EU Member State." (from  http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/pensions-benefits/healthcare/e106/)

Edit: Another reference, not country-specific about E106 cover, "You will also be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC, allowing you to visit

other EEA countries besides the one your are a resident with" (sic). From http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/Pages/Livingabroad.aspx

Also read http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcareabroad/pages/Healthcareabroad.aspx

and http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/Pages/Applyingandrenewing.aspx

(2nd edit - links did not work for some reason)

[quote user="Iceni"]

Di obtained her EHIC from the machine in the CPAM office. A paper version was issued there and then and the card arrived after a week or 2.

John

[/quote]

Isn't she a France-based virtual assistant (teleworker)? So in that case she would not be on an E106.

Also, I am surprised that she could use a machine in the CPAM office, when I was teleworking in France I had to pay my cotisations to (and get the CEAM from) a quite different primary health assurer and CPAM did not want to know as I was no longer on their database.

Thanks Will, one of your web sites gave me a tel no for EHIC from abroad, instead of the 0845 one usually given, which is no use from here.  (I'd seen all the other sites already and they had not helped.  +44 191 218 1999.    I phoned them.

This is what they said:-

With an E106 - obtain EHIC from the UK.

With an E121 - AT PRESENT - obtain CEAM from CPAM.

After April 2010 (or when the change happens) E121's will also use an EHIC, obtainable from the UK.

You need to apply by form - they will send one if you ring.  Even renewals need the form.

None of this is explained on the web sites, and nowhere does it say you need a form to apply, even to renew.

So - from the horse's mouth - I hope that will solve it.

I now await the arrival of the form.