Have you had your gall bladder removed?

PaulT

Sorry, not really about France but obviously affecting people in France and elsewhere.

My wife was sufferring terribly from gallstones and 3 years ago she had the bladder removed via keyhole surgery.

It has removed the pain but found that if she eat after 18:00 or drank even a small amount of alcohol later than this then she would be up in the night in pain and vomitting.

The hospital carried out certain tests and said everything was OK and discharged her.

However, problems still exist. Her GP has given her a drug (Sorry, do not have the name with me) and told her to take 30mg. She then seemed fine. However, he has told her to reduce it to 15mg as apparently, you should not continue taking 30mg. However, she is worse when just taking the 15mg and sometimes takes 30mg.

Last night was another disturbed night of her not feeling well and vomitting.

My question is, if you have had your gall bladder removed do you lead a normal life now are do you experience problems as above.

Thanks in advance - your replies will help as I fully intend contacting the GP and telling him that the situation is ridiculous unless this is one of the consequences having been led to believe that she would be fine after the op.

Paul

P2.  Yes. I had mine removed about 3 years ago. I had one attack totally out of the blue with no previous symptoms or twinges. It was excrutiating. After a doctor and hospital visit that day I was given some painkillers if I needed them and had a few dietary suggestions. A further hospital appointment was booked in for a few weeks later with instructions to return earlier if the problem returned in a major way. I should clarify that by the time I left the hospital on the day of the attack the pain had pretty much gone and by the next day I felt fine.

I had no further problems by the time I went back for my appointment and was suprised when the consultant said that he thought my gallbladder should be removed.

Anyway, a few weeks later I had the operation which fortunately was by keyhole method.  Bottom line is that I'd fully recovered in a couple of weeks and have no problems of any type since... cross fingers!

I do drink alcohol, not particularly excessively (I think).  I  don't recollect whether I was prescribed anything immediately after the operation but It is possible that I was for a couple of weeks.

I hope your wife can find a resolution to this.

I also had my gallstones/gallbladder removed here in France about three years ago (these developed after serious parathyroid problems). The only problem I now have after the operation - I cannot use nurofen + tablets. I don't know whether it is the ibuprofen or the small amount of codeine that causes the problem, but I end up in real serious pain and that in turn I think makes me vomit, just like before the operations. I have fell into this trap 3 times without before realising the cause, but never again and I have no desire to find out which of the 2 ingredients causes the problem, I will just steer clear of both. Maybe your wife is on another medication which is not agreeable to her system any more. I know that before my ops, nurofen+ was a staple tablet in our medicine cabinet for all sorts of aches and pains.

Had mine out about 25 years ago. Until this year, no problems, then I started finding I could not eat after around 7 at night as it was taking so long to digest the food, it was keeping me awake at night.

It appears that once through the menopause, everything slows up, so I think I understand why the French often have a larger meal at mid-day, allowing everything to digest, with a smaller meal in the evening!

I understand some of us ladies do have a problem at a certain age with digestion and having had a gall bladder op can make it worse.

My father had his gall bladder removed while in a Japanese POW camp in 1943. No anaaesthetic to speak of, and fairly primitive instruments, hygeine etc. He had to have further operations after the war, and was often in pain. As he was reluctant to take medication, he concentrated instead on gradually working out what foods to avoid, and found it helped to eat just a rice pudding in the evening. He lived to be 99.

Things must have hugely evolved, so don't despair.

[quote user="P2"]

Sorry, not really about France but obviously affecting people in France and elsewhere.

My wife was sufferring terribly from gallstones and 3 years ago she had the bladder removed via keyhole surgery.

It has removed the pain but found that if she eat after 18:00 or drank even a small amount of alcohol later than this then she would be up in the night in pain and vomitting.

The hospital carried out certain tests and said everything was OK and discharged her.

However, problems still exist. Her GP has given her a drug (Sorry, do not have the name with me) and told her to take 30mg. She then seemed fine. However, he has told her to reduce it to 15mg as apparently, you should not continue taking 30mg. However, she is worse when just taking the 15mg and sometimes takes 30mg.

Last night was another disturbed night of her not feeling well and vomitting.

My question is, if you have had your gall bladder removed do you lead a normal life now are do you experience problems as above.

Thanks in advance - your replies will help as I fully intend contacting the GP and telling him that the situation is ridiculous unless this is one of the consequences having been led to believe that she would be fine after the op.

Paul

[/quote]

Hi I had mine out in 1983, in and out in 4 days in the UK, not really had any great problems, but raw onions crease me, so always miss them out.

ColinE

A close friend is just about to have op to remove gall bladder, she asked the consultant all the questions re lifestyle, eating and drinking etc and was assured that there should be no problems in this regard after the op.