Joining The CMU - CAF Number

tasng4

Can anyone help?

My wife and I are in the process of joining the CMU and have received a form detailing the documents we need to provide. Amongst other items the form asks for our " Numero d'allocataire CAF" unfortunately we do not know where to find this number, what it is for or even if we have one.

Can anyone help us find this number?

Clair knows more about CAF than I but AFAIK, this info' isn't normally wanted (I certainly don't have such a number myself) for inactifs.  As nounours says, we need a bit more info' really before commenting as few inactif European expats who weren't here before November '07 are getting into CMU now. 

EDIT ; You responded whilst I was typing.  As said above, I don't think you really need this number so I would just leave blank, but maybe wait for Clair or somebody who knows about CAF to comment.

Your CPAM are asking for your numero d'allocataire CAF so they can link to the CAF database to see if you are in receipt of benefits.  If that is the case, then your right to CMU is automatic and CPAM will proceed with your application without any additional enquiries or formalities. 

If you don't receive any CAF benefits then you won't have one, so leave it blank.

tasng4 wrote "IF you were resident in France before 2007-11-23 it's possible to join the CMU."

Surprised that Coops and SD have not picked this up, because its just not true.[:-))]  The significance of that date was if you are inactive you had to be in the CMU on 23/11/2007 to remain it.

You can only join the CMU now, if inactive, once you have been resident in France for 5 years and demonstrate that by tax returns.

From the file linked to:

"En pratique, l’accès à la CMU ne doit être accordé que lorsque, ayant acquis un droit de

résider, ces ressortissants connaissent un accident de la vie les conduisant à perdre leurs

ressources ou leur assurance maladie."

The CPAM needs to know if you have allocations from the CAF which justify your attempt to get into the system too late.

If you haven't you may not succeed

No reason to pick anything up, nounours......  [;-)]

The significance of the 23 November 2007 is that you had to be registered for healthcare prior to that date.  That registration would not necessarily have been through CMU - remember, anyone who was registered under an E-form as at that date was given the right to subsequently transfer to CMU once their E-form expires.

Tasng4 has been resident in France since July 2007, so it's reasonable to assume he was set up with his healthcare registration prior to 23 November.  It is also reasonable to assume that this was courtesy of an E-form and that this has now expired, hence the current application for CMU. 

No doubt tasng4 will be along again to clarify.

But he did not say that he was registered, only that he was resident.

There are a number of people who just 'mucked along' with the EHIC, although they weren't supposed to, just as some didn't register with 'les Impôts'.

Of course I am not suggesting that this is such a case, just that having been resident doesn't necessarily mean that someone was registered.

• 4 weeks later...