Translation Please

Gardian

WELL ON QUESTION OF FLU!![:P]I have something like it sore throat,chesty cough running nose but no headaches..(insufficient wine!..[B]).....so suppose it's a common cold.

What is flu? in french ...keeping the topic going sort of......[8-)]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

la grippe   but that is for 'proper' flu   j'ai un refroidissement = a cold     in popular lang.   j'ai la crève

j'ai mal à la gorge = sore throat

j'ai   /   je n'ai  pas de température (or:  de fièvre)     Ma température est de  (39) degré.   (38.5  =  trente-huit cinq)

Bonne chance

un syrop pour la toux  - a cough mixture/linctus     un expectorant  a linctus for a 'productive cough'        une toux sèche  a dry cough

des losenges  (or) pastilles pour la gorge  - throat losenges

[quote user="Swissie"]Bienvenue Rachel - and apologies for this very rough landing here on CF- hope it won't put you off. I cannot fathom how your reply could be seen as 'arrogant'.

@+  

[/quote]

Only by Norman who is just Norman [:D]

Welcome Rachel. Enjoy.

Hi, Ame, I normally say je suis en rhumée so if it's démodé, then I'm that as well.  Mind you, when I talk about le rhume, I think about pancakes with rhum as "les crêpes en rhumées".  I say that to the French teacher just to get her to laugh and I tell her that these are called "snotty pancakes" in English.  She stops and looks at me in a strange way so I don't think I really take her in!

Rachel, it's good to have another French person on here who speaks excellent English.  Someone else for us to ask about French language issues.  Now you will have to papoter with us on the French thread which is called Qui veux chatter en Français.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Hi, Ame, I normally say je suis en rhumée so if it's démodé, then I'm that as well.  Mind you, when I talk about le rhume, I think about pancakes with rhum as "les crêpes en rhumées".  I say that to the French teacher just to get her to laugh and I tell her that these are called "snotty pancakes" in English.  She stops and looks at me in a strange way so I don't think I really take her in!

Rachel, it's good to have another French person on here who speaks excellent English.  Someone else for us to ask about French language issues.  Now you will have to papoter with us on the French thread which is called Qui veux chatter en Français.

[/quote]

Your crepes are very cute, Sweet!!!

You can say "J'ai un gros rhume" and that's not demode at all. Very sorry for my lack of accents again, should get sorted once I get a permanent PC, after re-formatting.[:'(]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I say that to the French teacher just to get her to laugh and I tell her that these are called "snotty pancakes" in English.  She stops and looks at me in a strange way so I don't think I really take her in!

[/quote]

A long time ago I tried the same thing, something like "C'est rare comme le  fumier de cheval à bascule" not a titter[:D]

I don't worry too much about being demode but it's nice to know, and when we have ces gens, si gentils to kindly help us... when they've finished laughing ;)  I still ask for cafe au lait and often say bye-bye (when speaking English), both of which are considered to be rather passé by some. 

Etre enrhumer  to catch a cold... why isn't that j'ai enrhumé and  je suis enrhume?  Maybe you are telling the toubib that you're doused in rum... sauced?!! You'll be the talk of the village. [;-)]

Ame, talk of the village?  As if.......

Anyway rum isn't my poison (attention, poison et pas de poisson!).  Whisky maybe  but gin and tonic, only in the summer.

BTW, Swissie, sit up and listen.  After you told me that "a gueter" is Swiss German for bon appetit, I got a chance to use it in the hotel in Switzerland that I stayed at.

There was a night with a special meal prepared by the hotel chef.  The owner appeared and gave an explanation of the meal in German and then in English.  We started with a sort of pasta dish cooked in a huge cauldron (sorry, don't know the name) but it was supposed to have been cooked and eaten by shepherds (or similar!) who took "dry" ingredients like pasta and onions up the mountainside and cooked this dish that consists of potatoes, pasta, cheese, cream (for all I know); in other words, cholesterol in a pot.

After he said "gut appetit", I said, "a gueter" and he pointed at me and said look, there is a woman from England (he was way off the mark, but nevermind) who has just wished you all "a gueter".  There was laughter and applause all round the restaurant, imagine!

And me thinking nevermind all that, just give us some of this pasta to eat and get on with the rest of the meal!  

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

How about "trois chats dans la gorge" = sore throat[blink]

[/quote]

I only know "avoir UN chat dans la gorge" - when you need to clear your throat. Three cats at once, that is a bit of a crowd![:)], I have never heard the expression!

[quote user="Âme"]I don't worry too much about being demode but it's nice to know, and when we have ces gens, si gentils to kindly help us... when they've finished laughing ;)  I still ask for cafe au lait and often say bye-bye (when speaking English), both of which are considered to be rather passé by some. 

Etre enrhumer  to catch a cold... why isn't that j'ai enrhumé and  je suis enrhume?  Maybe you are telling the toubib that you're doused in rum... sauced?!! You'll be the talk of the village. [;-)]

[/quote]

Minor corrector   Etre enrhumé/e = to have a cold   to catch a cold is reflexive!!  je me suis enrhumé/e!   ARGHHHHH sorry

Thérèse = unE babe au rhum.

Swissie, you bet I was dankre-ing left, right and centre.  All was well received and I was asked many times how and where I learned to speak Swiss German....

BTW, please look at the thread about gites and B&B that I posted because it concerns yooooouuuuu!

[quote user="Swissie"]Minor corrector   Etre enrhumé/e = to have a cold   to catch a cold is reflexive!!  je me suis enrhumé/e!   ARGHHHHH sorry

[/quote]

Merci Swissie, that explains it! I'm studying reflexive verbs at the moment so that's perfect timing.  Bonne journée.

Ame, je me suis promenée avec ma petite chienne ce matin.  Now, is it right that the reflexives are like the verbes de mouvement and have to accord with the subject?,

Edit:  thinking logically about it (NOT that French is a logical language), it MUST be the case that reflexives need to accord as they apply to the person talking or talked about..........er if you see what I mean?