Dotarem?

Doodle

I go for an IRM shortly and have been sent a prescription for Dotarem to collect from the pharmacy on the day. Can someone tell me what Dotarem is needed for. Also, any info about an IRM would be much appreciated as it's my first.

Thanks in advance, Chris

It is the substance which will be injected at one point to make a comparison with the images taken before.

I think it is to show up contrast on the images.

You may need to be fasting (nil by mouth) before the procedure.

I have an IRM every few months.

The usual procedure is that you take the Dotarem to the appointment and give it to the receptionist or nurse according to the centre.

You are called a little before the procedure to have a 'perfusion' (a drip) put in your arm: this is where the Dotarem will be injected at the right moment.

You are later called in, and you lie on a moveable surface which can slide in and out of the MRI machine, which is a bit like a long tube.

How far in you go depends on which parts they need to examine.

The machine is noisy, so you are given head phones with music, through which you will also be given instructions such as 'Respirez' 'Bloquez' 'Ne  respirez pas' 'respirez normalement '

At one point a nurse will come and inject the Dotarem at which point you may feel a sensation of warmth flush though your veins

The whole thing lasts 20 minutes to half an hour, and you normally have to wait after for the report to be typed up. You may also have a brief interview with the radiographer to tell you the results.

You will get something like negative images and a CD with the whole series of images on it which you should keep and take to future appointments.

It's not painful, but can be a bit alarming the first time

I cant remember (I also have scans frequently so I mix them up a bit) if Dotarem is one of the things where you are asked if you are allergic to Iodine or have diabetes or kidney problems.

In any case you should drink 2/3 litres of water after to flush your kidneys (they don't always tell you this)

I echo Benjamins comments. I hope that you are not now going into the unknown.

I'm only used to the UK system, but I'd await the follow-up appointment with the referrer in terms of finding out the definitive (if possible) result and how to progress with your clinical situation. Go armed with lots of questions: I get the impression that they like that.

Best wishes.

Mr R51

When I had a scan earlier this year (a different bit of me, I reckon, as all I had to do was drink pineapple juice just before I went in!) they asked me if I was chlorstrophobic (sp?).  I said no but towards the end I was finding it a bit tough.  If I'd said yes, would they have done it differently, do you reckon Norman, such as given me some sort of tranquiliser? 

I have both scans and IRM

My most recent scanner wasn't even a tube shape, it was more like a large ring, so no fear of claustrophobia.

The IRM (MRI in English) is more tunnel-like, but even then the last time I had one (in June) I was never completley inside, even though they scanned head, chest abdomen and pelvis..

By the way I should have mentioned that you should remove everything metallic, and will probably wear a gown in place of clothes for at least part of the body.

Here is a picture of one of the most recent IRM

http://www.francesoir.fr/divers/sante-un-irm-unique-marseille

Thanks again for the info - 1 1/2 hours good grief I don't think I could lie still for that amount of time - is Mrs B OK after that ordeal?

I would go armed with lots of questions but I don't know what else to ask as having had numerous x-rays and CT scans I've run dry. The chirurgien thinks there is something in the pancreas but all of the radiologists say there is nothing there. On my last visit for another CT scan which should have been followed by a biopsy the radio said there was nothing there so he wasn't doing a biopsy. So, I wonder if this is the last attempt by the chirurgien to find something. I do hope so as it is now getting tedious in that I hate travelling and it's 160 mile round trip to the hospital.

• 1 month later...
Having finally had my IRM (MRI) scan last wednesday, I justed wanted to say thanks to all especially Norman for the absolutely spot on info. The pineapple juice (2 small cartons) I found amusing as I had to drink it very quickly - I'd arrived for my appointment 40 mins early and went straight in (fortunately no time to get panicked about it) so I guess someone didn't turn up and I took their place.

I had a large piece of plastic placed and pressed hard over my stomach which was then fastened very tighly with velcro to the bed - no chance of moving!

Yes it is a very loud process but I quickly associated the noises with a clapped out fog horn, a fruit machine at the point when having pulled the handle the fruits 'clunk' one by one into position and then the clattering of the coins dropping into the tray.

Didn't find it claustrophobic but can clearly see how some people would. My only problem was having had my arms above my head I couldn't move them or get myself up from the bed - frozen to the spot and I had to ask the chappy to help me - he did laugh and so did I.

Once again thanks to all this forum is soooo good for info.

Happy & Healthy New Year to all, Chris