Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash System ??

Simon-the-censored

It is 'no touch' because of cross contamination.

ie I am handling raw chicken and have placed it in the roasting dish and now need to wash my hands before touching anything else at all. A sweep of my hands under this contraption and the soap is in my hands.

And that is where it goes wrong as a sensible 'invention'. I now have dirty hands with soap on them, and perhaps will have to touch a tap with said mucky soapy hands, contaminating the taps. So even though hands are washed, then they get dirty again touching the tap to turn it off.

That is why I like flip taps that I can put on with the back of my hand or wrist, or even elbow. And I have a similar system with the soap distributers. I need to keep my hands very clean, so liquid soap works for me.

Now you all who live in France, have you not tried Marius Fabre soaps. Expensive, last for ages and ages and ages. I use bars of this soap in our bathroom, wonderful wonderful soap. I can even use it on my face without feeling like my skin has been dried out.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Cathy, why not just have a soap dish and wash it from time to time?  The reason I ask this apparently daft question is that my o/h (who does all the shopping) insists on buying and using liquid soap and I just detest the disgusting mess it makes by the sink and the basin.  Happily, lorry driver's insurance pays for us to have a cleaner nowadays so I don't have to mop it up but I do have to look at it.[+o(]

Howard Hughes was seriously ill I think (OCD?) so that would not surprise me at all.

[/quote]

I don't understand why your liquid soap is so messy ?

What I did try was one of those old fashioned revolving soap dispensers and cheap liquid soap ( I think Aldi sold the right consistency) now, that was messy. At present Waitrose are selling two Carex for £1 so I'm stocking up.[:)]

[quote user="Simon-come-lately"]

I know this is banal and completely unimportant but I just don't get it...

If you don't know the product or haven't seen the add - here it is : http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/dettol-no-touch-hand-wash-system-green-tea-and-ginger_1_160580.html

Now then - can anyone explain WHY an automatic hand gel dispenser is more hygenic than a manual pump one?

Push the pump - gel comes out - wash hands = hands clean.

Just humour me - it drives me mad when I see / hear the ad.

Simon :-)

[/quote]

So glad it's not just me! I find that ad annoying and find myself shouting at the TV (sign of advancing age, I'm told, ranting at inanimate objects).

I also rant at anti-ageing moisturiser ads that are clearly modelled by 20-somethings on the TV. Oh, and mascara ads to improve the length of your lashes which say, in small print, "styled with lash inserts" and "enhanced in post production". In other words, even if you used the @"**"@ product by the bucketful, you STILL wouldn't look anything like they show on the screen!!!

Oooh rant over!!

[quote user="cooperlola"]Please tell me, while you are at it, just what is wrong with a bar of soap (apart from the fact that it costs far less and lasts ten times as long?)[/quote]

Exactly, I'm agin them dispensers that always give you more slime than you need at outrageous money; I much prefer the good old bar of soap, Wrights Coal Tar in the Utility, (washing after garden or garage), Pears for the girls and  brut-for-men soap (cause they sponsored Stuart Graham's GP2 Brut Camaro ) and soaps last for ever.[:D]

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="cooperlola"]Please tell me, while you are at it, just what is wrong with a bar of soap (apart from the fact that it costs far less and lasts ten times as long?)[/quote]

Exactly, I'm agin them dispensers that always give you more slime than you need at outrageous money; I much prefer the good old bar of soap, Wrights Coal Tar in the Utility, (washing after garden or garage), Pears for the girls and  brut-for-men soap (cause they sponsored Stuart Graham's GP2 Brut Camaro ) and soaps last for ever.[:D]

[/quote]Aha.  A man of good sense and good taste.[:D]

[quote user="Théière"]So reading that article it appears that the Americans are weakening their immune system which can't be a bad thing for the rest of the world [:)][/quote]In fact many experts attribute the increase in allergies to modern hygiene. The immune system is a bit under employed so it starts defending against harmless things.

I think my younger son must have an excellent immune system. I was never that keen on housework, so I'm afaid dust used to build up a bit, as I found being out in the garden or down on the carpet playing with two toddlers was much more fun!

Younger son was quite keen on the odd bit of sand or soil, or would wander off to the compost heap and I'd find him munching bits of rotting carrot ends! He was also good at peeing onto his plate when sitting in the garden during the summer when he was being potty trained - minus nappies. And if anyone tried to take his plate away before he'd finished eating, he'd probably bite them!

Anyway, he's a big strong lad now, never been ill apart from the odd cold and broken leg, and his first child is due in the summer. I wonder if he/she will take after Dad?  [:D]

Imperial Leather, or Camay, just a treat for holidays when I was a girl, otherwise it was Timothy Whites 'best', probably their 'value' range.

I'll stick to my Marius Fabre these days, although I do buy Imperial Leather for men, for my son, who seems to prefer it.

[quote user="idun"]

Imperial Leather, or Camay, just a treat for holidays when I was a girl, otherwise it was Timothy Whites 'best', probably their 'value' range.

[/quote]

I used to work on the soap counter at Boots, in those days you could buy single tablets of soap loose (unwrapped) or in value packs : Cold Cream, Lily of the Valley, Freesia, Rose Carnation etc. Actually refiling the soap fitments was a horrid job, it left a mucky, dusty film on your hands and felt clammy [:(]

I'm sure you all know this anyway but a couple of tips told to me by a motor mechanic, years ago.....

1. Before doing a mucky job apply a small amount of washing up liquid (or I suppose liquid soap) to your hands and rub well in.  When you come to wash, grease and dirt comes off so much easier

2. For really mucky hands and stubborn stuff like paint or grease, first wash hands with washing up liquid and some ordinary table salt.  The salt is a good abrasive and helps shift most things.  Watch out for any cuts though as it can sting a bit.

Even though I'm a big butch bloke [;-)] after doing the above I find I have to apply hand cream or my skin just dries out and splits [:$]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]I'm sure you all know this anyway but a couple of tips told to me by a motor mechanic, years ago.....

1. Before doing a mucky job apply a small amount of washing up liquid (or I suppose liquid soap) to your hands and rub well in.  When you come to wash, grease and dirt comes off so much easier

2. For really mucky hands and stubborn stuff like paint or grease, first wash hands with washing up liquid and some ordinary table salt.  The salt is a good abrasive and helps shift most things.  Watch out for any cuts though as it can sting a bit.

Even though I'm a big butch bloke [;-)] after doing the above I find I have to apply hand cream or my skin just dries out and splits [:$]

[/quote]

Castor sugar and vegetable oil work well as a cleanser too.

Before doing mucky jobs dig your nails in a bar of soap.