If you have received breast implants read on - now for the men as well!

Cendrillon

I agree, Cinders.  These types of joke don't usually get up my nose (part of being female) but I don't think that it is appreciated just how many implants are provided for medical reasons - after mastectomies following breast cancer, for instance.  Imagine what this latest news is doing to people like that (some of whom may well be members of this forum) who have already had enough sh** chucked at them.

What I don't understand is how the two opinions are so divided with France firmly in one camp saying 'get them out ASAP' and UK the opposite saying there is no problem and do nothing. Who the hell are you supposed to believe if it's the French but you happen to live in UK what can you do about it anyway - other than pay for private treatment.

What a shambles !

These things always seem more shambolic these days since we learn so quickly about medical issues via t'net (sometimes rather too much, on occasions?) and how different countries react to crises like these.  How often do we find that some drug or other is considered dangerous in one country while others have no problem with them?  I feel particularly sorry for the women who are worried about this.  I have a good friend back in the UK who had one done a few years ago and her cancer came back quite recently - she was so happy when she got the all clear in 2004, and so proud of the reconstruction job which had been done, and with good reason.  How she must now be wondering if the implant might be to blame,. even if it is not related in any way?  Horrendous.

The French company made the switch in 2001 and implants only last 10 years so they are due to be changed, so far the stats are so small, 8 cases in how many 1000's 50,000, 100,000 or even taking the 30,000 French fitted ones that is way below the standard breast cancer figures of 1 in 8. That's why I took the rise, anyone who has already been through cancer wouldn't be worried just disappointed that the automatons despite all the regulations we still see companies completely ignoring the rules that cost us all so much.  There is always a risk with any trauma site that cancer can develop so just as bigger risk with replacing implants. Still doesn't stop the press making copy out of it, they are far more guilty of upsetting and worrying people and making money from doing so

• 2 weeks later...
sueyH

My very best wishes to you and I hope all goes well for your op.

I am sure that now because of this recent scare the surgeons everywhere are going to extra vigilant and there will be nothing to worry about as far as the implants are concerned.

I have read that a lot of the problem implants were those used for "cheap" cosmetic surgery often done in foreign countries (not France!)