Form S1 - what does it look like, please?

nectarine

Currently transferring into the French tax regime (grey hairs, taken to the drink, etc.) but already have a Carte Vitale for husband (retired and pensioned) of which I am a dependent (not working). However, I remember before we left the UK a few years ago we got whatever relevant forms we needed and presented them to CPAM, and got our Cartes Vitale which we carried ever since. However, our accountant has asked for a copy of the S1 certificate. Now I've looked through our documents (and I'm a pretty neat filer!) but see nothing that has S1 on it. I have an original 'attestation' from CPAM and also the green Carte Vitale sheet but should I have received an S1 somewhere along the line.

Perhaps if I knew what one looked like I might be the wiser (Google doesn't show any images of one). Otherwise I shall trot to CPAM and request one but, meanwhile, if anybody could enlighten me I should be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

yours, rummaging through filing cabinets ...

Hi

It had a different number up to a few years ago, E121, if I remember correctly, but unless you took a copy yourself (always a good idea with forms because they often get lost in the system) then you would have handed in to your CPAM office and it's gone now! I think it eventually goes back to UK once processed.

The DWP in Newcastle do not issue duplicates.

I don't know why at this stage you would need another or even a copy; you're in the system!

I didn't keep a copy but handed it in, I'm sure of that. It's needed now because of social charges, etc., and working out what to levy ... otherwise I need an attestation which I can get from CPAM. I just couldn't remember what the certificate looked like, but thanks all for your replies.

I got a duplicate from the DWP in a matter of days.

It is on poor quality(re-cycled?) paper

On the Top Left S1   the EUROPE Logo in the middle  then Co-ordination of Social security Systems top Right

It is 4 sides long

In fact it was no use to me but that is a long story

You should always make photo-copies of ALL documents in France and where possible give them those, although it is not possible in this case.

[quote user="NormanH"]I got a duplicate from the DWP in a matter of days.
It is on poor quality(re-cycled?) paper
On the Top Left S1   the EUROPE Logo in the middle  then Co-ordination of Social security Systems top Right
It is 4 sides long
In fact it was no use to me but that is a long story
You should always make photo-copies of ALL documents in France and where possible give them those, although it is not possible in this case.

[/quote]

That's interesting Norman, because they categorically refused to send me a copy. My CPAM office claimed that they had never received my S1 last year (even though I had handed it in personally!) and suggested that I ask for another. DWP said "no". When I went back to the CPAM office and told them that it was impossible, the original form magically turned up!

That was when I learned the value of keeping copies of everything.

Im not paranoid... which one of my enemies told you that? [:-))]

[:D][:D]

Hi

My friend also handed his in to the CPAM and then needed a copy to attach to his Tax Return. He phoned DWP and asked for 2 more copies, in case they needed original and so that he had one spare. They arrived within 4 days.

Laurier

Nectarine, if you PM me an email address I'll send you a scan of my latest S1 which I got last year.

As a clue to it's appearance it is printed double sided on a light grey paper, probably an anti fraud measure.

You shouldn't have to attach it to your tax return but it can do no harm [;-)]

One of the first bits of good advice I got when I moved to France, keep photo copies of everything that you are sending off. Also keep when we receive anything that needs keeping, keep the envelope and attach it to document.  And I do.

I know that we still have lots and lots of paperwork, but at least I have copies of everything.

yes, I have since learned that, in France, you need eight copies of your birth certificate, an attestation of sanity and your grandmother's passport in order to purchase a mobile phone SIM card. I am now much wiser!

But rang DWP today ... no, they do not issue duplicates for tax purposes. I said, "if I hadn't mentioned it was for tax purposes would you have given me a copy?". No, was the answer. May try tomorrow and see if I find someone more helpful

It makes me wonder if the DWP will send a COPY of an S1 which has already been processed (ie been through the CPAM rigmarole) as opposed to a duplicate form which was lost before processing? Maybe that's the difference, as some of you are obviously getting copies.

Reminds me of the time in the early days of UK photocard licences when OH lost her card and phoned up for a replacement.

She was asked if it was just the card or the counterpart too and when she asked what the difference was they said a lost card or counterpart meant that she would have to reapply and pay but if both were lost they would issue a replacement FOC.

At that point she had not given any details about who she was so she just hung up and phoned again to report both lost and voila - a free replacement !

Update: after ringing DWP Newcastle who said that they didn't issue duplicates for tax purposes, I rang again this morning and spoke to a different operator - she said they did, but I'd have to call Medical Benefits Office since after France processes the document it sends a copy back to that UK office. Which I did, although chap there said that they don't keep copies after a certain length of time and they're apparently not scanned into the system .. however, he checked and said he couldn't find one so no joy. So, took a deep breath and a swig of strong coffee and rang CPAM .... and a very helpful lady there said, no problem, it will be in the post and with you in a week!

I find that, with government offices, it really does depend on who you get !!!!

Sandy, your initial post surprises me as you are known as the "oracle" in the expat club Leggies47 that you so readily raved about and placed a link to the club on this forum to promote it (you were even on the committee), surely one of these many expats would have allowed you to see their S1, perhaps a laps of memory....http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2680702/ShowPost.aspx

You even offer a helping hand so again have many expat aquaintances....http://47leggies.com/noticeboard.html

I can not see why you put yourself over as helpless when you had access to all these expats face to face.

Fortunately it did become an interesting post as regards reminding people to take copies of everything so hopefully you will pass it on to all in the expat club. MBK

• 2 weeks later...