Health cover and pension updates post Brexit

woolybanana

[quote user="NormanH"]
A more reliable source and a  intelligently-written article which explains the reasons for the confusion

[/quote]

There are even more reasons for confusion than those mentioned in the Guardian.

I phoned the person who publishes the monthly bulletin I mentioned in my thread on UK issued EHIC's post-Brexit, about his statement regarding these.

Hid did not seem to have changed his view, and furthermore insisted that, if there is still no agreement reached, the UK would be back in the EU in January 2021.

If people fear for their pensions then they should move back to England.

We too could have problems with our french pensions, and would move back to France if we did. I would certainly PREFER not to, but heyho, we need to live and have an income, so we would just get on with it.

People can worry about nowt, there are terrible problems in the world, flood, fires, drought, war, sickness and viruses and the titchy witchy thing of just crossing the channel seems never to be mentioned.

Maybe I am simply a very practical person, although if you actually saw my life you would doubt it, but if I have things to do, I will just get on and do them WITHOUT having 'fears' about whatever it is.

I have a perfectly good and decent life in the UK, what is that expression....... ah yes.........quality of life...... so often mentioned about the move to France, well, mine is a very very decent quality of life. And in many ways, better than that of the one we had in France and that was perfectly OK in general, otherwise I would have moved on. Sadly some of the problems we have, would be with us, no matter where we live.

I would suggest you point him in the direction of the British in Europe web site and specifically their series of Withdrawal Agreement papers. The paper concerning health care and pensions is https://britishineurope.org/2020/01/25/wa-health-pensions-social-security/

I suspect some of those pensioners expressing concerns in The Guardian article are those who have never registered as being there permanently, aren't paying taxes/social charges, etc. and are using an EHIC. It might have been more sensible if the reporter had asked individuals their residence status, etc first.

I always do wonder about people who move to France and don't register. How many do it.

The thing is that many will move to villages, won't they? And that should be down to the Maire to check if the people in their village are living there legally, surely.

Would be different if people moved to towns, there again, there are the taxes, fonciere and habitation.

Doesn't stop me wondering what is going to happen to our pensions and starting to look at how it would affect us, and where we might move to. Just looking at our future options.

The whole point of the article in The Guardian is that  it reassuring [:)]

It mentions that some people are worried, and shows where some of those concerns come from

(I would to thet add the various anglophone misinformation sites. The only valid sources of information are the French and UK governments official site, not those set up by self-important unelected  busybodies)

It then goes on

"Under the withdrawal agreement, at the end of the transition period

in December 2020, anyone with an existing British S1 reciprocal

healthcare form will continue to have their healthcare costs met by the

government
, as long as they remain legally resident in their host

country.

An S1 form will also entitle the holder to a UK European health

insurance card for treatment when travelling within the EU. Pensioners

living on the continent will also continue to be entitled, under UK law,

to free treatment in the UK.

Any British nationals working in their host country and paying into

its social security system will continue to be covered for healthcare.

The withdrawal agreement also states that British state pensions – and

all other benefits paid to non-residents – will be uprated annually

during the recipient’s lifetime.

Looking at   some of the replies here I wonder if people read and understand  the links I post [6]

The Gov UK website Living in Europe section has just been completely revised

I'm unsure of the exact inference of the phrase "as long as you remain covered by the Withdrawal Agreement" in the Healthcare section.

NH you should have highlighted all of "as long as they remain legally resident in their host country" as well.

Although I wonder how the "remain legally resident in their host country" will be checked by the UK? They could do it by making the Pension Life Certificate an annual demand?