ITV 3 on satellite - free to air at the moment

I haven’t seen it reported here to date, so for those of you WITHOUT Sky digiboxes but access to the BBC via satellite – this is for you.

ITV 3 started on 1st November, and in spite of initial assurances that it would NOT be on satellite, it is. AND it is at the moment free to air.

I make no recommendation or otherwise as to the content, although unlike ITV 2 it is aimed at an audience aged 35 + I believe.

You will need to do a manual search with the following parameters:

Freq 10906 MHz, Vertical polarisation, symbol rate 22000 FEC 5/6

There are various rumours that maybe ITV itself will go free to air too in the future, but it’s a case of seeing is believing I suspect. After all, we've heard that one before.

"You will need to do a manual search with the following parameters:

Freq 10906 MHz, Vertical polarisation, symbol rate 22000 FEC 5/6 "

Tried that on my tps decoder and just got an insufficient signal message

down here in SW France.

I guess it must only work in the north

regards.

JP

[quote]I haven’t seen it reported here to date, so for those of you WITHOUT Sky digiboxes but access to the BBC via satellite – this is for you.ITV 3 started on 1st November, and in spite of initial assura...[/quote]

With my FTV card set-up I looked on the 31/10/04, no indication of ITV3.  On the 1/11/04 there it was next to ITV2 (which I can't get) and have watched it on and off since. I say watched it on and off because, for the moment at least, it should be re-named the Curry Channel because like a Tikka Masala it repeats throughout the day.

Weedon(53)

[quote]I haven’t seen it reported here to date, so for those of you WITHOUT Sky digiboxes but access to the BBC via satellite – this is for you.ITV 3 started on 1st November, and in spite of initial assura...[/quote]

With my FTV card set-up I looked on the 31/10/04, no indication of ITV3.  On the 1/11/04 there it was next to ITV2 (which I can't get) and have watched it on and off since. I say watched it on and off because, for the moment at least, it should be re-named the Curry Channel because like a Tikka Masala it repeats throughout the day.

Weedon(53)

This is a question for Boiling a Frog re the Freesat card.

How exactly do you get one of these?  I've searched on Sky's website, but there's no mention of them on there.  On other sites I've seen that you can get one but have to pay between £65 and £150 for it  We have access to a UK address and already have a Skybox and satellite, so it's just the Freestat card we're after.  Can you tell me where you got your £20 one from, what number you rang etc?

Cheers

[quote]This is a question for Boiling a Frog re the Freesat card. How exactly do you get one of these? I've searched on Sky's website, but there's no mention of them on there. On other sites I've seen tha...[/quote]

Here is website

http://www.freesatfromsky.com/

It talks mostly about the £150 deal for box and card but if you phone the number given and just say that you already have a digibox and dish and just want the card there is no problem They ask your name and address read over a statement saying you will only be using it in the UK and you pay over your £20

A couple of days later you get the card ( to your UK address)

Despite what it says on the enclosed leaflet (which says it activates itself when inserted in digibox)you have to put card in box and phone sky to activate You need card number and serial number of box (you get that from services menu)

[quote]This is a question for Boiling a Frog re the Freesat card. How exactly do you get one of these? I've searched on Sky's website, but there's no mention of them on there. On other sites I've seen tha...[/quote]

Here is website

It talks mostly about the £150 deal for box and card but if you phone the number given and just say that you already have a digibox and dish and just want the card there is no problem They ask your name and address read over a statement saying you will only be using it in the UK and you pay over your £20

Despite what it says on the enclosed leaflet (which says it activates itself when inserted in digibox)you have to put card in box and phone sky to activate You need card number and serial number of box (you get that from services menu)

Here is website

I don't quite understand this thread, maybe i'm being stupid, but when we arrived back in March with our disk and box we paid around £40 a month and had the whole lot on sky.

After a while, we decided it was a lot of money so cancelled.  However, we still receive BBC 1,2 and 3, ITV1 and 2, Channels 4 and 5, all of the news channels, some sports channels etc and we aren't paying a penny.

They've obviously taken away all the sky channels but apart from that we are still watching all the programmes we watched before we cancelled.  Have they made a mistake or are we just lucky?

Annabell - recent Sky viewing cards will still receive ITV, C4 and five. Older ones don't. As yours was recently active you still get those channels. The new cards will be of interest to those with older Sky cards, or no Sky card at all - fortunately you don't need one.

@ annabell

As Will has said, you have a Sky Digibox (and what is now effectively a free-to-view card), so you have no problems.

The aim of my original post however was to alert those people (and there are a lot) who have non-Sky equipment overseas, these folk having taken advantage of the BBC's decision last year to abandon the encryption of their satellite services, which means any digital satellite box is now capable of BBC reception with the appropriate dish. This was a courageous decision by the BBC that a few other operators (such as ITV) would do well - in my opinion at any rate - to follow, (although there are a few who grumble that the license fee payer is now subsidising overseas free viewing).

ITV3 appear now to be bucking the trend to shelter within a Sky subscription, and many people can only hope that the rest of ITV might eventually follow their example (in the process saving a huge amount of money currently paid to Sky for the rights to use Videoguard).

Like you we have 2 Sky boxes, (one subscription, one FTV) so are unaffected, but several friends are now benefiting from ITV 3 on their ordinary equipment.

Complicated isn't it..!

On searching for help on channels that have mysteriously vanished from the listings, found this new post - wonder if anyone can help ??  We seem to have 'lost' BBC1 BBC2 ITV1 and Ch 4, have no idea why, we have a digibox and have been watching quite happily the Family pack on SKY which we subscribe to, since we moved in.  We still get ITV2 and now also get ITV3, we noticed that we lost the others pretty much the same time that ITV3 came on to air and wondered if that has anything to do with it.  Incidently we can still get the regional BBC1 and BBC2 channels - Scotland NI etc, any ideas anyone??