Sheer Fustration

Why oh why does my mouse and keyboard keeping freezing whilst I am on the internet????   I have to turn off and then go through the long process on scandisk etc to get back up.   Four months ago we took the computer to Lecclerc computer dept, who wiped it clean and reinstalled everything as we had a virus on it>   When returned I installed AVG Grisoft virus scanner, and yahoo pop up blocker and spyware scanner.   Since its return it often freezes and seems to be getting worse.  I have defragged it, deleted temp files etc.  Anybody any ideas please?   

[quote]Try a utility called "hijack this!" which lists all programs which start-up, posible sy-wre, trojans, etc. -Rob-[/quote]

French I can manage but Computerspeak is a foreign language. I sometimes have the same problem Lollie describes and put it down to my elderly and creaking system (computer that is). The utility you mention sounds useful but where do I find it and what on earth is sy-wre?

Liz (29)

[quote]French I can manage but Computerspeak is a foreign language. I sometimes have the same problem Lollie describes and put it down to my elderly and creaking system (computer that is). The utility you ...[/quote]

Spyware I think< I too have the same problem, my comprehension of computer language is worse than my French>    Rob, I did a google search on Hiijack this and  downloaded a free scan which confirmed there are 12 hijacks on the home computer,  I am currently on hubbies laptop, presumably these have something to do with my kids downloading music?  Do I need to subscribe to one of this systems or can you recommend a good free download that will delete them?   Hope you dont mind talking Liz and I through it slowly!!

Lol

Why oh why does my mouse and keyboard keeping freezing whilst I am on the internet?

Is it only when you are online? If so, what type of modem are you using?
If you can borrow an external serial modem then try it.
Also try turning off 3D acceleration by right-clicking on the desktop, then selecting properties, settings, advanced, troubleshoot. Pull the slider back to minimum.

When they put new hard drive in they took out internal modem as we only use external adsl modem.  Will try the other 3D thing.

I cant even be bothered to talk to friends on msn now as it is more and more frequent, cannot usually last more than five mins without a freeze.

Lollie  

Try updating the drivers for the modem, and do the video card while you are at it, download the latest ones from the manufacturers' websites. 

It is also worth installing the Microsoft Anti-Spyware software, available from the ms website, and make sure you have the latest updates for both microsoft windows and your anti-virus software.

Regards

Simon

if the kids have been downloading music then my money is on Spyware causing the problem, I cleaned a friends machine the other day which had anti-virus etc on it and it still got a score of over 100 all from the kids surfing pirate music sites...

Try Adware SE http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/  it cleaned up the PC and it's free.

Paul

[quote]Again: is it only when you are online? If so, doing what? Is your ADSL modem USB or Ethernet?[/quote]

Usb,

Yes only online, doesnt seem to happen whilst on email, but can be on anythingelse,  msn, websites etc no particular pattern.   using hubbies laptop for banking etc now, but kids use house computer for msn websites etc.

If I were you I would ditch the USB modem. An ethernet one will always work much better, always supposing that you have a network card in your PC or can install one. As you have a laptop too an ADSL wireless router/modem would be ideal.

If you don't fancy that then see if newer modem drivers are available on the maker's website and/or try the modem in a different USB socket.

What brand/model modem is it and what is your ISP?