MSN for "thickos"

One of our son's in the UK, is telling his brother (our number 3 son) that instead of typing emails to each other, if Dad (moi) were to buy a microphone, we could talk online. It might even help to reduce our foreign calls phone bill I am told? Ah but am I being slung a dud from the boys?

Now here's where I am really cream crackered. What are they talking about and having been on to MSN help, it seeks we need not only a mike but a A half-duplex or full-duplex sound card. (Half-duplex audio allows one person at a time to speak. Full-duplex audio permits two people to speak simultaneously.) The bit in blue is not me but direct from MSN by the way, in case you think I am pretty techie. We have a mike that was with another computer some time ago now and has a phono plug fitting, we even have speakers, we just don't have the important bit, the knowledge oh and no idea either if we have the sound card............

Could anyone please explain to me (in words of one syllable or maybe two,because I might have come a long way since a Sinclair QL, well I kind of hope so !) how exactly can I set about talking online. We are on 24/7 512kbs ADSL with Tiscali, no idea what lad is on in the UK.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Miki I have no idea of what all this duplex stuff is (I thought it was a 2 bedroom apartment) but if you are on ADSL the best way to go is webcam (IMHO). I know it's a lot easier on Macs, but I chat to No2 son in the USA on a regular basis (couple of times a week) and apart from buying the cam it costs nothing at all - just plugs in either to USB or Firewire (Firewire I think) and runs. You have to have AOL Instant Messenger, but you don't need anything else from the Great Satan. Or Microsoft either. There are still problems with mixing Macs and PCs, though - the latest software was a step back...

Miki I have no idea of what all this duplex stuff is (I thought it was a 2 bedroom apartment) but if you are on ADSL the best way to go is webcam (IMHO).

Now you see, this where we part company (computer literacy wise) I know what a duplex is, because I have read about it and yes it is a maisonette type affair but a webcam imho, is that a penthouse perhaps?

I need to know really, what I have to buy, where it plugs in, is it behind the sofa, in the corner, even in the compooter ?

I have just been to Hotmail to sign in and it took me off around the flipping world, do I want to buy this, see that, visit here and there. NO I JUST WANT AN ADDRESS FOR GAWDS SAKE !!

I think I will have to bow to Billy boy and keep with MSN as the lads in the UK are with them.

Tim,

Can you elaborate on what I have to do physically with the computer and what kind of mic I should have (apart from bash my head against something hard for a while ) sons do not have webcams in the UK so little point in me is there, or can they see their old Dad in glorious 3D anyway !! Does the webcam have an inbuilt mic for instance?

Lots of Q's I'm afraid but I promise info does stick with me (eventually   )

Thanks to both of you.

Is your son talking about using your computer to phone from? These links came up in the thread below (cheaper phone calls to the UK):

www.skype.com

www.gossiptel.com

Well worth taking a look, with Skype calls via the computer are 1.7c per minute (Peak or Off Peak) and the only software you need is supplied free by them. And if the person you are calling is also registered with Skype calls to them are totally free. You'll need a headphone set or a cyber phone.

I USE SKYPE WHICH YOU DOWNLOAD FREE AND BOUGHT A PACKARD BELL HEADPHONE ND MIKE AT DIXONS FOR UNDER £10. my son in u.k. has a better unit.as long as your internet is live at same time you can connect via internet.

I AM ALSO A BEGINNER-SO IF I CAN YOU CAN DO IT AS WELL;GOOD LUCK

All you need is to signed up with MSM hotmail and then download MSM Messenger, providing the other party is also signed up with them, then both instant messages and phone calls are free other than your normal internet ISP charges. I have a number of people linked up and whenever one of them signs on you get a message showing that they are on line. The only extra item is a microphone and this costs a few euros and if you have speakers then no headphone is required.

Bax

[quote]I use MSN messenger, would I need to download something else for phone calls and where does the mike plug ?Can I phone the USA too ?[/quote]

Gay,

No further downloads are needed. Go to MSN Messenger and you look at "I want to list" then click on "more" and then on "Start an Audio conversation" provided the other party is on line you just click their name and they are informed that you want to speak. This should work anywhere in the world.

The Mic should plug in next to your audio plugs and is possibly marked.

Have fun

Baz

Many thanks to all of you who have helped answer my question.

Now it's a race to see if Gay can beat me to chatting online with another MSN person. Let me know how you get on with it and I will inform you you if "Thicky One" can talk online with Son number 2 !!

• 2 months later...

Hi Miki and Gay

I have found this thread thru search, as I am in the same situation as you were...I want to chat to friend is South America, using MSM messenger.  I have headphone mic, all set up ready to go....she can hear me loud and clear...I hear absolutely nothing....so frustrating...any suggestions.....

One thing with the MSN/Windoze Messenger (or Yahoo Messenger or AIM/AOL Messenger) is that you both need to be at your computer at the same time (not the case with e-mails). If you are looking to talk, something like Skype is great because you can go either computer/computer (free) if both people are at their computer OR computer to landline very cheaply (€0,017 (1.7 centimes) per min or something like that) – giving great flexibility. However, it is not an either/or situation, you can run both at the same time. AIM/AOL is actually something of a “pain” so I would avoid it, plus it installs Spyware on your computer (as least my Spyware detectors went potty with it).

Windoze/MSN Messenger can have some issues with some Firewalls. For example, if using ZoneAlarm (Free Version) you can use Instant Messaging but cannot get audio (as the Firewall blocks that channel (port) – you need the paid for ZoneAlarm so you can open the appropriate ports. Similarly some people have has problems both Norton Internet Security blocking Windows/MSN Messenger audio channels. The MAC client for MSN Messenger is said to be quite dodgy (crashes a lot). However, then is a new MSN Messenger in (private) beta at the moment that is to handle Skype in addition to MSN stuff !! (depending on what actually gets included in the released version – as ther are issues with the Skype API at the moment).

If using MSN, etc. there are actually better software packages (than MSN/Windoze/Yahoo/AIM/AOL/ICQ/etc. Messenger(s)).

Another thing you may want to consider is getting an 0844 UK number. This will allow anybody in the UK to call you at 5p per minute. You can divert the number to any French (or UK, etc.) landline using the web. You can change the landline number used as often as you want. You can have primary and secondary diverts (e.g. on no answer from the 1st, try the 2nd). You can divert to voicemail (which is then e-mailed to you), etc. The total cost for all this 0844 number stuff is nothing – its all free. The caller is charged 5p per minute on their BT (or whoever) bill – which is as cheap as a lot of these “low cost international call schemes). Caller need no account to be set-up. Works from any (UK) phone without anything special. All in all pretty useful (at least I think so).

If anybody want details, PM me.

One of the problems of the Windoze/MSN method (the IP ports they use and the firewall issues) is that with some people (e.g. using th same ISP or sub-net) it will work fine whilst with others (e.g. different ISP) it may not (as you leave your ISP's/enter another ISP's network there will often be additional firewalls). Thus audio may not work at all, may work with some people and not others or may work fine all the time - depending on where the "block" is in the link.

However, the problem I've described is difficulties is setting up an audio link. What happens it that Windoze/MSN Messenger goes "trying to establish ..." (or whatever it says) in the status bar at the bottom for ages before failing. I have not come across the "one way" communication you describe being caused by the firewall issue. Sorry - but might be worth checking other things e.g. can you use you mic into Windoze "sound recorder" and play it back OK. Many sound cards need a "Mic boost" check box setting to be enabled to get adequate volume (and tghis can be very hard to find with some sound cards. (Speakers and Mic is a disaster for these things and some headsets have quite sensitive mic mute switches).

Harvey: On a seperate issue, does your contact in South America live in Bolivia by any chance (I am seeking detailed info on Bolivia and cannot find that much on the internet).