French TV Set in the UK?

We brought over a tv some years ago when we moved here,put it in the cupboard and forgot it until the eldest  wanted a tv for her room,it will not pick up french tv but will work with sat tv(astra 2) and spanish tv,if you buy your new tv in France ask the shop for a set up demo to see what system it works on.

[quote user="le bouffon"]We brought over a tv some years ago when we moved here,put it in the cupboard and forgot it until the eldest  wanted a tv for her room,it will not pick up french tv but will work with sat tv(astra 2) and spanish tv,if you buy your new tv in France ask the shop for a set up demo to see what system it works on.[/quote]

This is the reverse of what the original post was about.

Apart from the colour information in the picture, SECAM in France, and PAL in the UK (and other parts of europe), there are differences in the tuner as the carrier frequency seperation for the video and audio are different in the two countries. Thus you might be in the position of being able to see the picture but not hear the sound.

On the other hand, if you intend to use it with a Freeview box, connected with a SCART cable, it will be fine.

"This is the reverse of what the original post was about".quoteWhy is that then,would it not be right to ask for a test demo in the shop.And like you repeated what I said ,it will work why a sat box.What if anything do you know about tv,s in France?as I would like to find some stuff about tv,s here in France etc. without having to go back to the tv shop.

Because you   +++++  the original question was about buying a TV in France for use in the UK

"can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy a LCD TV in France and then use it in the UK

Of  course it will work in the French shop, but not necessarily in a UK set up, which is what the original question was about.

Why is it OC you cannot even post something sensible without being abusive and giving offence, why do you bother to post at all???

I believe there is one way of replicating a UK PAL I broaadcastsignal in France . This is to take a UK PAL I VCR  player and a pre recorded tape to France and check it that the TV will tune in to the VCR output via a coaxial cable not the SCART lead. If you have both colour and sound it works.

If you have color it is also NTSC compatiable

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

I believe there is one way of replicating a UK PAL I broaadcastsignal in France . This is to take a UK PAL I VCR  player and a pre recorded tape to France and check it that the TV will tune in to the VCR output via a coaxial cable not the SCART lead. If you have both colour and sound it works. [/quote]

But I doubt whether many french retailers could provide this facility themselves.

Le bouffon, my only knowledge of television comes from 20 years with BBC Engineering division, followed by a further 20 years in other BBC departments. OK it might not count for much.......

Irrespective of the ins and outs of compatibility doing a quick check on pricerunner the price of a Sagem HD-L32T LCDTV is typically £1000 in the UK and 1800 Euros in France. Which to me seems to be an extra 300- 400 Euros just for the added benefit of French after sales service.

Alternatively for £1200 you could get it from John Lewis with 5 years guarantee...........................