Caller number display telephones

We're being plagued by 'nuisance' calls at the moment... I'd like to

buy a telephone/fax machine with caller ID display similar to the ones

available in the UK. Are there any available in France that will show

caller ID, and if so where could I buy and how much ? Many thanks

Chessie (Smiley-less - Mozilla won't let me do icons - happy or sad!!!)

You need to subscribe to a service from FT either Presentation de Numero or presentation du Nom about a couple of euros per month depending on exactly which service you take.....

http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/mx/?tp=PHP&code_rubrique=5-184759&type=3&donnee_appel=FTASN&IDCible=1&id=75351138752520

Phones do exist, but seem to be harder to find than in the UK. Here is one ,rather expensive, example

http://www.mistergoodeal.com/v2/V2_produit.asp?productid=140400170001N312&id1=320&id2=319&id3=1466&id4=&id5=&inftyp=1&niv=3&marque=no&num=5

There are truck loads of these phones is our local Auchan.  The

number calling you displays on the little window of the telephone, no

need to pay for any service.  But, as was said, the problem comes

in when all those annoying soliciting calls say "number

withheld." 

I think it is a pay service Lori, added on to your subscription, "présentation du numéro" or number plus name of caller.  There are plenty of phones for this now in the hypermarkets if your read on the packaging "numérique" to show the number of the incoming call and "alphanumérique" for name and number.

Assuming these are sales/marketing nuisance calls rather than “wrong numbers” or malicious calls, I’m sure I have read comments about a French equivalent of the UK Telephone Preference Service (TPS) – basically list yourself as not wanting marketing calls and the “nuisance callers” are obliged to stop calling you. I cannot remember details nor name of it (though probably somewhere on this forum or maybe somebody else knows ?). Maybe that would be another way of addressing the problem. I think you have to pay a little for it and I have a suspicion its call a “Liste xxx” (some colour) – though this could be completely wrong.

I also get quite a few such calls. However, my already limited French language skills “totally desert me” when I get such calls and they then tend to apologise for disturbing me and go away – and don’t call back. It seems that I am getting more such calls at the moment. I don’t know if it’s a seasonal thing or just becoming a more popular marketing method. In my experience it’s a lot of different companies calling so being aware of their number will probably not help too much as whilst you can ask them to stop, tomorrow it may be a different company calling.

Ian

Thanks to you all for your helpful replies; I'll certainly check out

Auchen next time we're close. Problems may have been 'bored kiddlie

winkies' for a few days; but on the other hand if one is listed in the

phone book with a non-French name then could be more suspicious reasons

for 'strange' phone calls (ie possible empty house)?...or maybe we're

just worrying for no real reason !!!

Thanks...Chessie

[quote user="Opalienne"]We have one but the problem is that most of the nuisance calls we get (veranda salesmen etc) withhold their numbers.......[/quote]

Err why is this a problem, if callers can't display their number then don't answer them.   When I was in the UK this successfully avoided me speaking to double glazing salesmen, bank managers, credit card companies and many other disreputable characters.

CHRIS

My advice when you get a salesperson calling is to say, "hold the line whilst I get the home owner", then just leave them hanging on whilst you go back to what you were doing.

Silly I know but it amuses me and many of my mates.

Check out this link to FT's Liste Orange to get your entry marked in the phone book (annuaire) to say you don't want marketing calls. It is free and you can do it online. However, when I asked the caller from Bougyes Telecom why they had still called me, he claimed he was using an old annuaire!

http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/racine_boutique/residentiel/fp/230/fiche_produit.html