I have a French purchased QWERTY keyboard. The character for the Euro sign is on the same key as the figure 5 and the % sign (across the top of the keyboard) I've tried various multi-key combinations but I cannot get the character for the Euro to print. Is there a 7 year old out there who can help?

Benjamin

Just to confirm the obvious you can therefore get the Euro symbol to appear on screen in Word or whatever word proccessing package you are using ?

If so then how old is your oprinter ? and what make and model is is ?  You may need download new drivers for it.

Alternatively if you are locked in the 80's like me buy a new daisy wheel

Edit It was my mistake using the word " print" in the  reply to Rayring.

Anton

Using Word I just go Insert then Symbol and find the Euro sign in Currency symbols. Bit long winded but I get there. When posting for example on this forum I would like to be able to use the Euro sign which is on my keyboard.

It's not a printer problem at all.

Benjamin

Benjamin

Is your QWERTY board set up for English (UK ) or English (USA) or another lanquage,?  It if it not set up for English UK, that could be your problem, it could also be if you do not have the € on your 4 key that your keyborad needs to updated, they only cost £10, or have a look on Ebay.

Sorry if you've already posted this, but I've skipped a few replies since first reading the problem and returning with a thought.

Even though you say the symbol for the € is on the bit of plastic that says 5 and % on it, have you tried all the combinations using the 4 key. What it says on the keys is meaningless if the keyboard control software is set up for a different configuration. Are you set up for US english (if there were such a thing). Does anyone know if US drivers (NO not motorists [:)] ) bother with the euro?

What does it say on the key just to the right of the space bar (where my Alt Gr is)?

John

Can we get back to basics here a minute.

Is the keyboard a QWERTY i.e. UK or American keyboard or is it a French keyboard (you said you bought it in France) because the keys are totally different. QWERTY refery to the first 6 caracters under the number on the row under the numbers and on the left of your keyboard. Believe it or not many people do not know what QWERTY actually stands for.

What operating system are you using?

Is the operating system in English or French ?

Have you tried or changed any settings in the "Regional and Language" Options in the "Control Panel" ?

Is your MS Word program an English of French version?

[quote user="JohnM"]

Sorry if you've already posted this, but I've skipped a few replies since first reading the problem and returning with a thought.

Even though you say the symbol for the € is on the bit of plastic that says 5 and % on it, have you tried all the combinations using the 4 key. What it says on the keys is meaningless if the keyboard control software is set up for a different configuration. Are you set up for US english (if there were such a thing). Does anyone know if US drivers (NO not motorists [:)] ) bother with the euro?

What does it say on the key just to the right of the space bar (where my Alt Gr is)?

John

[/quote]

You don't need a keyboard driver for a normal plug in keyboard. The country option or keyboard layout is set in Windows via the control panel. The US English (yes there is such a thing) keyboard does not have the Euro symbol and the £ is replaced by the # and there are a few other small changes as well but I can't remember what they are. There is a 'patch' that you can download form Microsoft that allows a US keyboard to produce a € . I believe the £ is somewhere else on the US keyboard but I can't remeber where

Anton

No, I don't have a CD or disk for the keyboard.

The keyboard is a Turbo-Xwing KB-3001 R+

The op sys is Windows XP professional.

Ron

Where do I look for the set up of UK or USA English? I've been into Control Panel/Ketboard but there's nothing there about languages.

JohnM

I've tried various combinations using the 4 key without any luck.

As far as US English is concerned see my answer to Ron above.

The key to the right of the space bar says ALT, as does the one to the left.

Quillan

I'll get back to you in a minute.

Benjamin

Quillan

The keyboard is QWERTY as defined in your second paragraph. I've seen a French keyboard and it was completely different.

Windows XP Professional in English

No, I haven't tried or changed any settings in Regional and Languages in Control Panel

MS Word is English version.

Benjamin

I'm starting to feel embarrassed that I asked this question. I could still carry on with typing the word EUROS

Benjamin, I was just thinking how your supposedly 'silly' question has turned out to be not silly at all, given how tricky it is proving to sort out!

[quote user="Benjamin"]    I'm starting to feel embarrassed that I asked this question. I could still carry on with typing the word EUROS.

Benjamin

[/quote]

I would stick with that!  I sent someone some fairly detailed info on Euro payments the other day and, although it looks perfectly OK on my screen, it came out with some very strange symbols at his end. Impossible to make sense of it and I had to do it all over again.

€Liz€ (Ctrl + Alt + 4)

[quote user="Benjamin"]    I'm starting to feel embarrassed that I asked this question. I could still carry on with typing the word EUROS.

Benjamin

[/quote]

I would stick with that!  I sent someone some fairly detailed info on Euro payments the other day and, although it looks perfectly OK on my screen, it came out with some very strange symbols at his end. Impossible to make sense of it and I had to do it all over again.

€Liz€ (Ctrl + Alt + 4)