Can I request ????

There are many posters on this and other forums that sometimes use one,or more, words of french in their reply.For the sake of those people who are not yet multi lingual  how about puttting the (english word ) in brackets to help them along.This may be a pain in the butt,but I'm sure in the long run it will help.It would help me thats for sure and I'm sure,all others as well.I am a firm believer in helping other...as you will all find  out when I  take up final residence.....[:D]

If I come across a word I'm not sure of (particularly when reading the French news websites) I open up WordReference on line dictionary in a new tab and quickly look it up, takes seconds and you often learn other uses/contexts of the word too.

Edit: for some reason I just cannot get a link to this site to work so highlight the address below, left click and 'search web for'.

www.wordreference.com/fr/index

(links edited by a moderator)

[quote user="Susie24"]If I come across a word I'm not sure of (particularly when reading the French news websites) I open up WordReference on line dictionary in a new tab and quickly look it up, takes seconds and you often learn other uses/contexts of the word too.

Edit: for some reason I just cannot get a link to this site to work so highlight the address below, left click and 'search web for'.

[/quote]

Susie, that appears to be a very useful site, unfortunately your link is not correct. So I hope you do not mind me correcting it.

http://www.wordreference.com/fr/index.htm

az

[quote user="Susie24"]If I come across a word I'm not sure of (particularly when reading the French news websites) I open up WordReference on line dictionary in a new tab and quickly look it up, takes seconds and you often learn other uses/contexts of the word too.

(links edited by a moderator)[/quote]

The link worked Susie and a very good and useful link it is too......[:D]  thank you.

best regards

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/dago49/Dago3.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Pancake"]

Pads...

We use to live in  Cornwall in in 67/69.Outside of Cambourne in the village of Barripper....

[/quote]

It was a lot nicer in those days , although I dont know that area well, Im more north cornwall.  But sadley modern day living as caught up with cornwall now.............Although I wouldnt want to live anywhere else now in England, I have lived all over the place in England and abroad and apart from the part of france we have chosen and here I find the rest of the world has gotten to busy for me (god I sound like im 90 ...........) I like to live a peacful live[:D]

Where in Aus are you ? my hubby is in sydney to day working    

Sometimes people include a French word because either it is very France-specific (bornes, for eg) or because they can't quickly recall the English equivalent... and probably other reasons. If you expect to live in France, buy a pc-based French/English/English/French dictionary and have it loaded. Or alternatively a complete pc-based translation package such as Reverso. I don't think it unreasonable to throw in a French word or two on a French-life forum and not feel it is mandatory to translate it. It's far more likely one will remember an unfamiliar word if you have to look it up rather than someone else do that few moments work for you.

I am wondering if there's a bit of an Australian conspiracy going on here, though. [:P]

[quote user="catalpa"]If you expect to live in France, buy a pc-based French/English/English/French dictionary and have it loaded.

[/quote]

As I noted above, I find this very useful, and my version also works on my PDA. I use Ultralingua, cheap and good, also does conjugations. Also now includes Collins.

http://www.ultralingua.com/en/products-collins-dictionary.htm

Monika, first you need to install the add-in, from here http://www.wordreference.com/english/Right-click_Menu.htm

To do this click on the link above, then select your browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox/Netscape/Mozilla) .

Then chose the language versions you want to install (I'd suggest French to English first) and click on the link.

This will install the add-in, you might then want to repeat the process to install the English to French add-in. 

To use the add-in once installed, select the start of any word in your browser, hold down the left button of your mouse, and drag the cursor to the end of the word.  Then (with you mouse still positioned over the highlighted word) click on the right button on your mouse, and you will see a menu that gives you the options  = > Français and  =>Anglais.  Click on one of these and another window will open up, giving you the translation of the word that you selected.

Note though that you can only use this to translate words that are already published on the internet, it won't work on anything that you are typing until it has been posted.