what's required to live in france for one year

I am 50 years old and wish to move to Normandy with my wife and 10 year-old daughter. We plan to rent a home, can someone please tell me what's required so that we can reside legally in France and my daughter can attend school.

Thanks,

Andrew

We will be coming from the United States, the important thing is that my 10-year old can attend school. I will probably visit three times a year for a month or so. So I am not to worried about my carte de sejour. My wife and kid could always bounce back from England every three months if possible but hoping to avoid that. The real issue is school. Also the plan was to arrive a month or two earlier to give my daughter a change to learn French.

So, just to be sure that everyone clearly understands what you're proposing to do:

• Wife & daughter to be 'planted' in Normandy
  • You'll still be working in the USA, but visiting periodically
  • Possible occasional return visits by wife and daughter to the USA
  • No current understanding of French by your 10yo daughter (and about to be immersed in a 'foreign' school language & culture)

Unless I'm missing something, many will find themselves asking "Why?" in all this.  The 4th bullet is your stated priority and no doubt surmountable, but many on here have said that it's hard for adolescents to adjust (you could search on Education and come up with loads of stuff).

Sorry if this sounds negative, but I sense many may feel nervous about what you seem to be planning.  Say that it's not like that really. 

Sorry Twinks but  I disagree.

My son was 10 when we moved here.  He will be finishing his second year at school this summer and he is settled and very happy in school here in France.  He was never very interested in us moving here and for the first 6 months he probably would have jumped at the chance of moving back.  Now he wouldn't hear of it.

Oh and he is above average in all of his subjects having just got 14/20 for French in the 2nd trimestre.

That's great Dotty - you must be so proud and relieved.

My daughter's just turned 8 and her English is very good but I just wouldn't feel confident moving her to an English speaking country.  Maybe at 10 they are more receptive to changes and adapt better but if I had to do it right now I really don't feel she would cope. 

I maybe wrong, you don't know until you've tried - right? 

Twinkle / Dotty ........

Yes, yes, but education for the gentleman's 10yo daughter apart (although it is his stated priority), the core of his plan / intention would seem somewhat 'unconventional'. (I'm using the most diplomatic language I can muster).

Andrew - people on here are more inclined / better able to assist if they understand more of the circumstances around bullets 1-3 above. It's not that folks are being nosey, it just helps those with specific knowledge to advise.

[quote user="Tresco"]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]But the OP is only bringing the child over for a year after a couple of months to learn the language.

[/quote]

Where does he say it would just be for one year? Sorry if I've missed it.

[/quote]

In the heading...

I have indeed lost my marbles, (ask Dick demonstrated) if not my entire head.

I hope the OP (Andrew) will forgive me for causing what I hope will be a mini diversion.

OK, so for one year only it is then.

I understand Dicks previous point, but people seem to have to do all manner of things these days, related to their jobs. Things that seem strange to everyone else not in that situation.

>>

• Wife & daughter to be 'planted' in Normandy
  • You'll still be working in the USA, but visiting periodically
  • Possible occasional return visits by wife and daughter to the USA
  • No current understanding of French by your 10yo daughter (and about to be immersed in a 'foreign' school language & culture)
>>

All of the above is correct, except "Possible occasional return visits by wife and daughter to the USA" possible return trips to England if necessary to get around any long term visa issues.

wow this is great feedback. You are correct I should list more info:

My 10 year old daughter has been to France twice one when she was 4 and second time when she was 6 she's willing to make the leap.

It was quite wonderful to walk through Jardin Des Plantes the second time and have Sophie say "I'v been here before" My wife and I have both spent lots of time in France and are eager to spend more time. I realize it will be difficult for my 10-year old to pickup the language my understanding is that children pickup the language very quickly.

Eager to hear other people experience concerning how long it took children of similar age and background to pickup the language and more importantly feel comfortable in school.

We've done what you are considering doing, only our child was 7 when we arrived and she had attended a private French school in San Diego for two years prior to arriving.  So, our circumstances are slightly different.  The legal paperwork you will be required to submit for your wife and daughter to legally live here, and most certainly for your daughter to enroll in school will be a bit long and drawn out.  I won't go into all the details here as it can and should be obtained from your nearest French Consulate.

If you are the wage earner, all your pertinent work data, tax returns, money to live on in France will be REQUIRED in order to obtain a VISA.  Once here, your wife will be required to obtain a Carte de Sejour.  This will be made clear to you when you apply for the VISA's.  Assuming you have all the necessary data at hand, you should expect the VISA process to take approx. 3 months, longer if they have other questions.  Depending upon the exact area you intend to live, you will need to visit the school to determine how they will welcome your daughter.  She may be placed in a class with younger students for the first year.  This will depend on the school and your daughter. 

If you are only planning to be here for one year, I would SERIOUSLY reconsider.  The French curriculum is entirely different from the U.S. one.  Your daughter will have a hard time adjusting to the change and then she will have to re-adjust upon returning to the U.S. after only one year here.  If you are planning on staying longer, that could be different.  However, please search the Education section on this subject as if is important to know what you intend to do for the remainder of your daughter's education.  It would be very hard to put her in school here, in France, for a few years, then move her back to the U.S. system.  You really need to thing this one through.  Perhaps you already have.

Anyway, you will find, upon searching the education section of this website, that many children have good experiences (like Dotty's) and many have bad.  It is impossible to say how your daughter will react/learn.  I would say that 10 years old would be the absolute cut-off age for making such a very serious move.  Personally, having done it with a child of a younger age and who had already been in the French system for two years, I would NEVER do it - if I had the choice.  It is quite different if your job takes you here and you have little choice.

Anyway, that is my two cents worth.  Not sure it helps.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Hi..I'm just wondering why you are saying "moving" when only the wife and daughter will be living in France with you popping over once in a while for a brief visit.  Do you not think this in itself will be a difficult transition for your daughter?  Also, having been a teacher in the US and an exchange teaher in France, I can corroborate what some others have mentioned.  The 2 systems are NOT compatible.  Also, the attitude to non-French speakers is NOTHING like the attitude to non-English speakers in the US school systems.  The US systems make all manner of provision for the non-English speakers.  You will not find that in France.

[quote user="tigersharkjs"]Hi..I'm just wondering why you are saying "moving" when only the wife and daughter will be living in France with you popping over once in a while for a brief visit.   [/quote]

A job, perhaps?

Sometimes people have to do things that seem odd.

As the OPs daughter is 10, I don't see this as being a long term problem. It might be hard for her, and for the whole family, in some ways, but not so bad that we need to make a drama out of it.

>>

Off topic, sorry, but I'm curious, why do you want to move for just one year?

Ideally we would live there until we die ;-) However, we did to break it down to manageable pieces. My wife and I have spent a lot of time in France and understand the concept of "things cost more, you make less, but you live BETTER"

My feeling is that we will never regret making the move, but would someday regret NEVER making the move.

Also I think American children grow up in such a "ME generation" that I am  hoping some time in France will allow her to learn how to appreciate the simpler things of live besides a gameboy or a new sweater.

Perhaps I am dreaming . . .

Hey Apkaplan, A really boring answer this is (God, I sound like Yoda) but the French Embassy/Consulate websites have loads of info on what is required.

Also, as far as learning, my kids have been using the "Jump Ahead" French CD for kids, but I think it isn't available anymore (Spanish is, fummily enough) and it is great. Its virtually all games and our kids ( 8 & 10) pick it up so quickly.  You might get it online somewhere under the brand 'Smart Start' or 'Jump Ahead' I think they are the names it is sold under in US/UK.

This may make life easier for your daughter in a fun way.

All the best.