Programme won`t start up

On our recently bought French computer I installed a card creating programme which I`d used on the old computer. It worked as normal, but today it got stuck as it was opening and froze up the computer. The only way I could get out of it was to switch the mains power off then on. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the programme but to the same effect.

The only programme I`ve recently installed is the Fuji camera software, but on the `programmes`screen, there`s also one programme highlighted in blue (recently installed programmes?) called MicroStaff WINASPI. I haven`t installed it and don`t know what it is, and I don`t think it was there before.

Does anyone know what it is, do I need it and might it have made the card programme stop working?

Any help gratefully received

"The file winaspi.dll, is used by windows when communicating with CD and DVD Drives (both ROM and RW), tape drives and other forms of mass storage devices. Specifically this dll will be used by the drivers of your hardware device(s). If winaspi.dll is unavailable, any CD/DVD drivers that are installed in your computer, may not function correctly."

There is some confusion over this application and I do not have the knowledge to advise on it.

I would suggest that you revert back (using system restore) to a time when your machine was working properly, remove (uninstall your camera software) and then re-install your card creating programme. If this all works re-install your camera software.

Good Luck.

tip: If you want to know what any file is that you find on your computer, just 'Google' it, and you'll find the answer.

And, always do a system restore before adding software. (That should be engraved on the front of every computer).

Good Luck

Gary.

'systĆØme restaure' at a guess. Or more likely what Coop has said.....................[:)]

In English

Start - All programs - Accessories - System Tools - System restore.

Click on 'Create a new Restore point' - give it a name -  press 'Next to create a new restore point'.

Hope this helps.

Gary (Bugbear):

"That's spooky, I clicked on that site and it came up in my logged in amazon account...................

Looks a must buy item though....................."

Bien sur, vous avez les cookies dans votre ordinateur. 

Once you've created an account on one Amazon site, you have access to all their sites with the same password, etc.  I find it very handy as I order from the US, UK and French sites.  A lot of people don't like Amazon, but I'm a fan.

In the meantime, you could probably wade through the info on Microsoft's French website to find the terms you need.

Of course, it's a lot easier (and more fun) to get it here.

[quote user="tenniswitch"]Gary (Bugbear):

In the meantime, you could probably wade through the info on Microsoft's French website to find the terms you need.

[/quote]

Which is actually easier than it sounds.  You can search for a term (system restore, for example) using the Microsoft Knowledge Base (in English)  http://support.microsoft.com/ and search in the second search box down, Search Support (KB).  You can then open the result, and then select one of the documents.  When this opens you will see an Article Translations box on the right hand side of the article allowing you to choose French translation, complete with all of the terms in French.

[quote user="fulcrum"] 

Didn't you mean "system backup"?

If not why not.
[/quote]

No Gary is correct, XP system restore creates restore points when you change the configuration of your computer i.e. adding or removing software.  If you manually create a restore point before adding software you then know that prior to that change the computer was correct.

Many thanks for your advice. I did as you suggested (luckily the computer seems to have created lots of restore points by itself), but sadly the wretched card creater programme still freezes up the computer, so I`ve uninstalled it and stuck it in a drawer!

The new computer doesn`t seem to have a restart button and `cont, alt, del`didn`t have any effect. I hated clicking the mains switch off and on but I couldn`t think of any alternative. Was there?

Tel

Thanks for that.

I am using Windows 2000 and it doesn't have restore points. Therefore I always have to take a backup before adding software.

The term "restore" is confusing to non XP users and maybe Gary should have said "Create a new restore point before adding software".

[quote user="fulcrum"]Tel 

and maybe Gary should have said "Create a new restore point before adding software".

[/quote]

Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point,Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Point, Restore Point,Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point,ore Point,Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point,Restore Point, Restore Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point,Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point,Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point,oint, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point,............................................OK.......................

Not for me Dick, but until you posted I could only see page one, with no option to get to page two, and no way of replying to the last post, very odd.

Anyway, now I'm here, what the OP could try is to see if the failing application had written anything into the event viewer.  For a french PC this would be...

Demarrer - Tous les programmes - Outils d' Administration -Observateur d'Ć©vĆ©nements.

Try looking in the System and Application logs for any red circles or yellow triangles.

Aha, I've worked it out, this wide page malarkey is all your fault Gary [Www]

Since you've changed your name to Gary (Bugbear), the system gets itself into a right old pickle if anyone tries to quote you, due to non-matched quotes.  If I asked you especially nicely, could you go back to being Gary aka Bugbear, or something without brackets?

I've had to edit a couple of posts that were quoting you (sorry chaps) to sort it all sort out .

It looks fine to me now, but can someone else confirm this please?

[quote user="Cat"]

Aha, I've worked it out, this wide page malarkey is all your fault Gary [Www]

Since you've changed your name to Gary (Bugbear), the system gets itself into a right old pickle if anyone tries to quote you, due to non-matched quotes.  If I asked you especially nicely, could you go back to being Gary aka Bugbear, or something without brackets?

[/quote]

Oooop's sorry if it was me.................amended as requested..............[:D]

[quote user="Gary aka Bugbear"]

[quote user="fulcrum"]Tel 

and maybe Gary should have said "Create a new restore point before adding software".

[/quote]

Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point,Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Point, Restore Point,Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point,ore Point,Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point,Restore Point, Restore Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point,Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point,Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point,oint, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point, Restore Point,............................................OK.......................

[/quote]Testing