First laptop purchase: advice needed please...

Hi

I am looking at buying a laptop but I do not know what I should be looking for when choosing.

• I will run it mainly from home, so weight or battery life are really not a priority
  • I don't do games, music, videos...
  • I do not yet have boredband, but seriously considering it now that France Telecom are increasing their charges... again...
  • I do do pictures, word processing, database, emails
  • I want to watch DVDs on it

• I need to be able to connect a printer, a digital camera and an external hard drive
  • I am more familiar with a UK keyboard layout and English computer jargon

from what I've read so far, I would need

• a fast processor (1.6 minimum, whatever that means) but I don't know the diff between Centrino, Athlon or Pentium, dual core or Mobile...
  • a 40GB or more hard drive
  • 512 RAM or more
  • a high def 15" screen 1024/768 or better
  • widescreen
  • USB + Firewire
Price is (not yet) a consideration and I will probably scale my requirements down according to cost...

Please feel free to add your comments based on your experience or knowledge.

Many thanks

Clair,

For what you want to do almost any current laptop would handle it. I've got an old Toshiba with 64 MB of memory and a 6GB hard drive that could deal with all your needs. The spec you've given is practically entry level nowadays.

What sort of databases are you interested in? I'm a database developer and unless you want to run an Oracle server on your laptop the spec is not an issue. Something like Access or (Yukkkk!) Filemaker wouldn't be a problem.

I've also dabbled in graphic design and the only thing that might stretch your machine would be editing really big (5MB plus) picture files.

I'd sugest a Centrino or a mobile Athlon simply because they run cooler, which is nicer when you use one on your lap.

For choosing a model, I've been happy with my Toshibas and a lot of developers I know use Hewlett Packards. If you're permanently in France then see what's available through your local dealers or outfits like Boulanger, so that you can get backup. In the UK there's more choice for mail order so I'd be tempted to go that route.

Hello Clair and Albert

Albert, you are clearly very knowledgeable about computers and unfortunately I am in a bit of a pickle about the laptop I have bought today, to use in my holiday home in France, primarily for word processing and surfing the net, with maybe a bit of DVD watching. I should be most grateful if you could help please.

I have bought a Toshiba today which is WiFi enabled. I know next to nothing about WiFi but believe that it can only be used in Broadband areas. I doubt very much if the small village where my house is would have it. The gumph with the laptop says that I cannot use the internal modem with a digital phone line. Sorry to be so dull, but does that mean that as long as my phone line is not digital, I can just get a net package and modem like the one I use on my non-WiFi laptop in GB, which I will plug into the computer and the phone socket, from someone like France Telecom? How will I know if my line is digital?To use the laptop with mains supply do I just plug the power cable plug on my computer into a French adaptor which is plugged into the wall socket, preferably also using a power surge protector? Is there anything else I need to know?

Again, sorry to be so dull, but don’t want to ruin laptop when I first use it! My French is not good and doesn’t run to such technicalities. When I sign up with an ISP, do they just send me the disc and any modem etc via post?

Thanks in anticipation

Regards

Loire

Loire,

"Knowledgeable"? It's a big subject and many things I leave to the techies...

However, I'll try. I don't have a system in France -- I'm in the process of buying a building plot -- but my 80 year old father in law managed to get himself on line and he's no technical wizz.

Wifi is actually separate from your internet connection. It's used instead of wires to network computers together, but a lot of broadband modems include the gubbins to allow your computer to link to them without wires.

I don't know how to tell if you have a digital phone line -- I've only met them in big organisations.

You don't need to buy a separate modem because you have one built in. Assuming that you have a normal, non-digital line you can plug your built-in modem directly into the phone socket the way you do at home, although you'll need a French cable.

Mains electricity won't be a problem Just use an adaptor and pretend you're in the UK.

A French ISP will probably send you a CD. In fact I think you could probably get one at most big supermarkets.

Hope this makes sense.

Hi Clair,

As Albert says, none of the computing tasks you mention are particularly power-hungry.

If you are intending to use the laptop for picture editing and watching DVDs, I would suggest you go for one with a “Bright View” (shiny type) screen.  Widescreen DVDs will look better on a widescreen laptop, although your digital camera pictures will not fill the screen unless you have a widescreen format digital camera.

You will be able to connect your digital camera, external hard drive, printer, etc, to any laptop – note if your printer is an older one which connects through a parallel cable connection, you will need to make sure the laptop has a parallel printer port.

Some laptops have media card readers which accept the storage card out of your digital camera – transferring pictures is a bit faster this way, but it is not essential.

Do you want a DVD recorder or just playback?

You say you’d prefer a UK keyboard and language – clearly you will get a bigger choice by buying in the UK, although I believe companies like Dell France allow you specify a UK keyboard and English version of Windows XP.  If you buy in the UK you will have to get it back to the UK should any fault develop.

There is probably more hype around PC specifications and components than with any other product.  You have obviously done your research to be up to speed with expressions like “dual core processors” and so on!  But, do you need the latest, fastest processor, 100GB hard drive, super fast multi-format DVD recorder, digital TV tuner… … …?  Probably not – unless you will actually use or need them!

I’d recommend you decide on a budget and then compare models available at that price – some will be better than others with regard to a particular feature, ie one model may have a faster processor while another has a bigger hard drive.

I’d go for the one with the fastest processor as this is the most expensive part to upgrade.  Ideally you want to see the laptops so you can compare the picture quality, keyboard feel, build quality and so on and not just buy from a website.  I’d go along with Albert’s endorsement of Toshiba or HP / Compaq – you may get better service from an international brand if you need it rather than a retailer’s exclusive line although you may get a better specified computer for your money by buying an exclusive.

If you’re thinking about buying in the UK, have a look at what’s available from PC World http://www.pcworld.co.uk or Comet http://www.comet.co.uk

Hi Clair

If you want a purchase that is hassle-free and a reliable machine that meets your specification, then just buy an Acer from Tesco. Acer is a reliable international brand with a worldwide servicing network.

To be candid, machines of the specification you give are almost commodity products now. From my own experience, the least satisfactory laptop purchase I have made was for a Dell, and there has been nothing to choose between HP and Acer.

Have a look at the Dabs.com website.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledgeable advice...

I am based in France with no opportunity to go to the UK.

I have looked at Acer's website and the jargon has my head spinning! Same with HP...!

I'll look at Dabs.com too thank you

I got caught out with my picture editing software (Photoshop Elements 2, very demanding I know!), being unable to run anything lese with it so if I have to spend, I want to spend wisely!

Thanks for tht Brightscreen tip, I had not thought of that.

I'll come back for more tips later on if that's all right with you...

Thanks again

Hi Albert and Clair

Albert, thank you so much for that very helpful information.

Clair, good luck with the computer. If it’s any help at all to you (possibly not! And know John Lewis not possible for you) I have had a Samsung laptop for over four years which I bought from John Lewis as they had incredible technical knowledge and a can’t-be-beaten-on-price policy, cost around £600, very cheap for then, and haven’t had any probs with it at all. Yesterday I bought a Toshiba laptop to use in France from JL, cost £499, from a very knowledgeable and helpful chap who said it would be fine for what I intend to use it for, no need to have a higher spec.  Obviously don’t know how it will perform yet.

Good luck and thank you.

Regards

Loire

[quote user="bigjimbishop"]Hi Clair

I buy and install PCs and laptops for retired folk here and always get good deals from www.cdiscount.com

Infact the Acer you want is here

[/quote]

Recently bought the same laptop with DVD writer and 14" screen, for 50€ more, this is a CD writer/DVD player with a 15" screen and includes a free case - it's a very good deal and an excellent product.

Hi, Clair,

I would get at least 1 GB of ram.  I have 2GB on my laptop and can happily run my Photoshop software simultaneously with house design software and MS Word/Excel while listening to the BBC3 on streaming radio via Win Media Player (which you might want to do if you get broadband access).

If I attempted to do that on our PC (which, admittedly has only 256 MB), something would crash.

Also, it's a good idea to have at least 4 USB 2 ports.  I frequently have a USB mouse (hate the built-in touchpad mice on laptops), printer, modem and other device (card reader or number pad- handy for French characters as I have a US laptop) plugged in at the same time.

The massive thunderstorms a couple of days ago took care of the decision. After I found my modem had fried, I knew it was time... I have bough an Acer 9412 (overspected, I know) but it was reduced by a massive amount and they threw in 3 years guaranty...

So here I am, typing on a French keyboard, using Windows XP2 and facing the following problems, which I am confident most of you have already overcome [:)]

I would be ever so grateful if you could point me in the right direction using simple words

1. Where do I find the "home" and "end" keys on my French keyboard? I have found the bit about switching the keyboard between FR and EN.

2. When I try to download AVG, Firefox or Thunderbird, within 5mn of the download start, the progress bar looks all done (despite the 3h50 download time) but when I want to install, I get a message about "FAT32"...

3. Instead of a new download, can I use the installs I downloaded for my old PC (Windows ME) and saved as part of a general backup on an external drive?

4. As I want to use the laptop elsewhere in the house, what do I need to install a wireless internet access for my modem? (the laptop speaks Bluetooth)

5. What do I need to get my old PC and my new laptop to speak to each other?  I only have 1 tel point and it's near the PC.

6. Would I be able to access the internet with the PC through the latop connection?

A lot of questions, I know, but I'll be very very very grateful, I will I promise!

Clair

Although my laptop has a UK keyboard, we have a French desktop machine, on which the Home key is a sort of diagonal arrow pointing to the top left corner of the key, and the End key is labelled Fin.

I had similar difficulties with AVG, which was just too big to download on a dial-up connection. I solved that by using an old version on a free magazine CD, although it told me not to use it as it would not be up to date. Then, when I connected, it updated that version from the AVG website, which, although still a big file and a time-consuming process, was far more manageable than starting from scratch. So you may be able to use your old versions.

For wireless access you need a wireless router, which connects to a modem or another computer connected to the internet (though most seem to be made for broadband access only). I've never succeeded in making that, or Bluetooth, work on a French dialup connection, though that may be down to my ignorance and not having the right equipment rather than anything else. I've also tried a wired network, which allowed the laptop to speak to the internet via the desktop machine (didn't try the other way round) though file sharing caused loads of problems for me - I suspect it may be due to French/English incompatibility somewhere down the line, because two UK laptops could talk to each other with no problem. If you just want to link the PC and laptop, and both have matching Ethernet ports (the one that looks like a bigger modem connection) then you can link them with just a suitable Ethernet cable and use the Windows XP set up wizard to configure the machines.

Clair,

Congratulations on your purchase, sorry to hear you’ve encountered problems already.  Some thoughts on the points in order:

1.  Keys on laptop keyboards often have multiple functions – try holding down the CTRL or FN or ALT while pressing keys you think may be home / end.  For example on a Sony Vaio I have, “Home” is FN + left arrow in the group of up, down, left and right arrows and “End” is FN + right arrow.

2.  Are you using dial-up?  4 hours 50 mins is a long time for a file download.  Any noise or interruption on the line could cause a problem.  As Will says a magazine CD might be the best option.  The August edition of (UK) Computer Buyer with free DVD version includes AVG 7.1.392, Firefox 1.5.0.3 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.2 and loads of other useful stuff.  French PC magazines will probably also have these applications on their free CD’s / DVD’s.  If you install from CD rather than downloading the full programmes, you will only have download the latest updates which shouldn’t take long.  If you cant find them on a French magazine, if you PM your details, I can send you a copy of the magazine CD.

3.  If it is the “Installation Programmes” that you have backed up and not just the files – Yes, that should work.

4.  Can you not get broadband where you live?  Sorry, I don’t know what wireless dial-up systems are available.  I guess you would need a separate modem and a router.  Could you easily run an extension phone socket from where your current on is to where you want to use your laptop?

5.  You ask about your PCs speaking to each other?  Is this to move files back and forth?  If so, you need to “network” the PCs.  If broadband is around the corner it might be worthwhile considering buying a broadband wireless router and the network card for your desktop and wi-fi card for the laptop (it probably already has wi-fi / “802.11” built in if it has Bluetooth).  This would give you a wireless network and you’d be ready for when broadband comes.  Your laptop will be much better spec’d and more convenient than your desktop so you will probably find you will use it all the time.

Will and Ecossais, thank you so much  for your help.

1.    I have found the "home" and "end" keys where indicated, the layout seems so weird...!

2 & 3. I have installed AVG, Firefox and Thunderbird from the install backups I had on the external HDD and as you both said, I need to bring them up to date, which I will try again now the thunderstorms have stopped interfering with the phone line.

4. I will try a longer tel extension cable before thinking about broadband wireless... enough new technology to deal with for now! (The laptop does have the latest wi-fi setup built-in)

5 & 6. I have found a home network assistant on the laptop and I know there's another on the PC, so I'll have somewhere to start when I'm ready to face yet more technological feasts!!

I am really very grateful to you both. Knowing there's ready and willing help, knowledge and support at the first hint of trouble is very very reassuring. Thanks again.

A few days in and I fell almost at home with it!

The keyboard layout and the resulting text are still an amusing novelty, but I suspect this will turn into an annoyance before long!

Best bit to remember: get as much RAM as you can. I used to have 512 Mb on my old PC and it used to struggle a bit, this 1Gb RAM laptop has made such a difference, it's amazing!

I have managed to import most of my everyday programs from the PC into the laptop via an external HDD, as I could not get the "file transfer assistant" on XP to recognise I was using a CD rather than a floppy on which to write its files... Most probably my fault...

I've got XP, Zone Alarm, AVG Free, Defender etc... all updated and I am gradually finding my way round Acer's own useful utilities for the laptop.

Next challenge: going wireless!

Next year, Vista!!! [:P]

Clair,

If you are finding the French keyboard challenging when typing in English, you could connect a UK keyboard to your laptop.  You can buy a wireless keyboard and mouse for about £30+.

You would have to add the UK keyboard in “Regional and Language Options” and “Keyboard” within “Control Panel” (you only need to do this once) and then select which one you were using when you switch between keyboards.

You could use the keyboard from your old PC if it has a USB plug.

• 6 months later...