I.E 7 problem

Do you get any kind of an error message Clair?

If not, have you tried looking in the Event Viewer (found in the control panel, administrative tools)?  Double click on yellow triangles or red crosses in the Application section, they may give you a clue as to what is going wrong.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Clair, I also run IE7, tried Firefox and dumped it, along with Office 2000 and an HP Deskjet 890C with no problems. The printer is an oldie and is getting a bit fractious about feeding paper, but that's a different story. So unless there is a missmatch with the 3 bits of hardware/software there should not be a problem with the software. My Office 2000 is up to the latest level, I don't know if that could be a problem for you?

Edit : I would forget me 'ead??? I am thinking of upgrading to an HP (yes, I do lke them) Photosmart 8250. Anyone know anything about them, cause one of our local shops has a deal on them at 99€...

No error message appears when I print, just a blank sheet of paper pushed in the tray...

I've looked at the Event Viewer (never seen it before!!![:P]) and the only red crosses all relate to the same thing (in French):

'PerfNet: Unable to open the service server. The performance data will not be sent. Error code is DWORD."

Clair, I'm certainly not pushing you to buy a new printer (uninstalling IE7 would definitely be the cheaper option), but my new Canon printer arrived last night and I installed it today.  I haven't tested the scanner functions on my laptop (which has IE7) but the printer functions work fine, just printed my "detail du compte" from the C/A website.

[quote user="Rjpfrancais"]

Just to add a little spice into the IE 7/IE 6 vs Firefox debate. The following story caught my eye today;

"Chaos Computer Club explodes Adobe PDF security bomb"

Apparently yet another browser security flaw has been found that potentially affects PDF documents but guess what, it doesn't affect IE7, just Firefox and IE6. Food for thought don't you think for all those people that think the answer to all your browser problems is to download Firefox and avoid IE7!!!

For those who care to, you can see the fiull story at;

http://www.itpro.co.uk/blogs/editorial-blogs/davey-winder/2550/chaos-computer-club-explodes-adobe-pdf-security-bomb.thtml#comments

[/quote]

The security issue was first discovered on Firefox, though more detailed testing has shown that IE (all) has the same problems.  Its actually an Adobe problem rather than the browser.

Ian

[quote user="Will "]

Ian .... had you tried the tech support number they would certainly have got you to go through a diagnostic process because they are not allowed to comment until you have run the tests. The process takes a couple of hours, so you have to ring back. Then you get a different Indian and have to do it again.

I repeat, NEVER use HP's phone support system - at least until you hear that it is not outsourced any more. A pity, they used to be a good, professional company.

[/quote]

I did try their telephone support at one time and was not made to do any tests as I was pretty angry with them by that point and I think they would have know the result had they insisted on my doing daft tests. I even got to speak to a "supervisor". However, it was all a complete waste of time so, as you say, don't bother calling them.

The problems or rather HP's behaviour to the problem has caused my total loss of confidence in HP/Compaq. every company has software issues/bugs/problems. It is not that such problems occur but how the company behaves when it comes to sorting them out. In HP's PSC/IE7 case, it have identified a very poor software design in the software (something that HP should have been better at). Then, once they knew about the problem they ignored it "hoping it would "go away". Most software that has design problems that then emerge as compatibility issues does not have the capability to "sort itself out" - programmers have to get involved. HP seemed to not appreciate this so did nothing and did nothing and did nothing, etc. That was the bit that shows them to be a "take your money and run" company.

I agree 100% about with your comment "USED TO BE A PROFESSIONAL COMPANY". They did used to be an excellent company with some fantastic products. I remember using their protocol analysers for years - expensive but solid, top functionality, etc. Now I would not touch any HP products. Now its all about separating you from as much of you money as they can (profit, profit, profit - at any price).

Ian

I think I will just have to keep things as they are for now...The Director problem has been solved and I can copy and scan from the laptop. The only remaining problem is that I cannot print directly from any Office program, but I can get round that by linking to and printing from my PC...

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. I am certainly better off today![:D]

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="Rjpfrancais"]

Just to add a little spice into the IE 7/IE 6 vs Firefox debate. The following story caught my eye today;

Apparently yet another browser security flaw has been found that potentially affects PDF documents but guess what, it doesn't affect IE7, just Firefox and IE6. Food for thought don't you think for all those people that think the answer to all your browser problems is to download Firefox and avoid IE7!!!

For those who care to, you can see the fiull story at;

http://www.itpro.co.uk/blogs/editorial-blogs/davey-winder/2550/chaos-computer-club-explodes-adobe-pdf-security-bomb.thtml#comments

[/quote]Scary stuff sure enough but easily negated by disabling the Adobe Reader BHO and downloading the PDF instead of opening it online as the article says. It also serves to highlight the oft given but oft ignored advice to never open files from an unknown source, just that for now, you have to add PDF to the list...!

Hardly a compelling reason to dump Firefox or "upgrade" IE7 though and if it's as big a threat as made out then there's sure to be a patch along very soon.

I for one will not be "upgrading" any time in the forseeable future (nor will I be rushing out to buy Vista but that's a whole different jar of worms for another day & thread!)

[/quote]Told ya, roll up roll up and get yer Adobe patch here............ http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/11/adobe_reader_update/

Clair, maybe I missed this info in one of your earlier posts, but have you checked your firewall settings?  It may not apply to your security system, but I have found with my Symantec Norton stuff that I sometimes have to go into the settings and specify which programs are allowed to send anything out.  Maybe something like this is blocking your laptop's Office programs from sending to the printer.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I use Zone Alarm and I've checked it by removing every permission, so forcing the program to ask befor allowing, but still  no change...![:(]

Today I tried to print an email and had to resort to my PC to print it from  the laptop. So it's not just Office 2000 programs that are affected...

I might ditch IE7 after all, but I am reluctant as I need it to check CSS changes on my website revamp...

[quote user="Clair"]Thanks for the suggestion.
I use Zone Alarm and I've checked it by removing every permission, so forcing the program to ask befor allowing, but still  no change...![:(]
Today I tried to print an email and had to resort to my PC to print it from  the laptop. So it's not just Office 2000 programs that are affected...
I might ditch IE7 after all, but I am reluctant as I need it to check CSS changes on my website revamp...
[/quote]

Maybe HP will issue a driver update soon that will remedy the problem.  Have you told them that you're not happy that their product is not compatible with IE7?  You'd think that they'd be scrambling to fix a "known issue".

Now that I've gotten used to IE7, I quite like it (although I wish there was a Print Preview icon on the toolbar- hate having to use the File drop-down).

Hi Clair,

Re Zone Alarm, it can cause all sorts of strange behavior until set up properly.  Suggest you disable ZA and then try printing etc.

Can you print from any application - try a Windows test print?  I know fingers are being pointed at IE7, but it seems to me something else is going in here....[:)]

[quote user="Deimos"][quote user="Rjpfrancais"]

[/quote]

The security issue was first discovered on Firefox, though more detailed testing has shown that IE (all) has the same problems.  Its actually an Adobe problem rather than the browser.

Ian

[/quote]

Ian, everything I have seen says IE7 is not affected, just earlier versions of IE, and FIREFOX of course. Have a look at;

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/010507-adobe-to-issue-patches-for.html?fsrc=rss-security

[quote user="tenniswitch"]Clair, maybe I missed this info in one of your earlier posts, but have you checked your firewall settings?  It may not apply to your security system, but I have found with my Symantec Norton stuff that I sometimes have to go into the settings and specify which programs are allowed to send anything out.  Maybe something like this is blocking your laptop's Office programs from sending to the printer.[/quote]

If you are running Norton, Symantec, McAfee, you can get all sorts of weird and wonderful problems and I would suggest looking for alternatives which are cheaper and far more efficient - and which don't screw up your system!

In addition, take a look and see if you have 2 firewalls and/or 2 antivirus programmes working in conflict with each other.

Don't assume that HP have a monopoly on poor customer service although I agree with Will that HP are awful since support moved to India. I had a printer which was 2 and a half years old when I upgraded to Windows XP and the printer stopped working due to the driver being incompatible with XP. The manufacturer was Canon and they declined to upgrade the driver to work with XP.

I have also just given up on Norton Internet Security and moved to Bit Defender after constant PC crashes and poor performance. It's as if I got a new, faster PC - and it works fine with IE 7.

Alan, when I upgraded to XP, I had the same problem with my multi purpose Canon printer. Fortunately, the  local company which built my computer spent two hours loading different drivers and got mine to work. So using experts, which I am not, were happy to resolve the problem as part of their service.

Baz

[quote user="Alane"]I have also just given up on Norton Internet Security and moved to Bit Defender after constant PC crashes and poor performance. It's as if I got a new, faster PC - and it works fine with IE 7. [/quote]Norton is a renowned resource hog which I gave up on a couple of years ago in favour of the free version of AVG anti Virus.

Regarding firewalls, the truth is that most of them are actually somewhat superflous these days as most Broadband routers contain a hardware firewall which, in conjunction with the Windows built-in firewall and an up to date Anti Virus programme, is pretty well all the protection the average user needs. The only other tool I would recommend is SpybotS&D http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html which is also free and sometimes flags up what it thinks are suspicious cookies but which in reality are fairly innocuous.

There will I'm sure, be those who disagree with this fairly minimalist approach, but I can only speak from experience and over the past couple of years, using just these tools on my PC and 2 laptops, I have remained virus and malware free.

One of the very best protection tools is your own common sense which means NEVER downloading unsolicited email attachments and in fact, dont even open mails from unknown sources. Always run an AV scan on anything you do download and if you're surfing and get a pop up claiming something like "Your PC is infected with xxx or yyy virus, download ZZZ programme now to fix this problem", DON'T DO IT.

To finish on this subject of my HP printer no longer printing, I have seen a Canon IP1200 at Géant Aurillac (15) today at €29.90... That'll do me nicely!

I'll use it for plain printing and will use the PC to order other print jobs from the laptop...

My thanks to all who have made suggestions to help me with this. It's really nice to have such broad knowledge at our fingertips, literally![:D]