My little cannon i250 bought a few years ago for pennies has finally had enough of this life.    I now want to replace with a printer (with facility to photoprint), copier (not bothered particularly about scanner or fax but might use them if they were there).

Has anyone bought a multi-functional printer recently which they could recommend.   I could be doing large amounts of printing at some point, so am concerned about operating, eg ink, costs.   I have been reading review after review for various printers but as soon as I see one which seems good, I then go to next review and someone is rubbishing it!

Don't want to pay excessive amounts of money - say up to 125 euros ?

Any thoughts anyone?

After terrible experiences with Epson ten years ago,  I've always bought HP since,  and the PSC1410's that I have at the moment are very reliable.

However,  it's very hard to get cheap ink for HP's (may be someone else  knows better) and it's a complete rip off if you've got to print a lot.

Back in the UK I use a laser printer (a five year old Brother) but of course it doesn't scan.  The HP I mentioned  above copies (without the need to turn on the computer) and scans,  very very well in my opinion (I've scanned old photos to good effect).

That's just to start the ball rolling,  I am no expert and I'm sure someone like Danny can give you a better overall view of the market.

(PS  -  I got SO ANGRY with the EPSON that I brought it over to France with the express intention of organising a ritual and public DROWNING of the wretched thing in the swimming pool.   However, Wendy over-ruled me on that,  and in the end we gave it away to an elderly man who thought he could reform it.   I heard no more from him).

I would not consider a printer that does not have separate ink cartridges, so each colour can be replaced as necessary. Also finding compatible inks usually is far easier and cost are often lower. I have used Multi-function printers for the last few years as they suit my needs, the last two have been Brother and Canon both with separate inks, I particularly like my current Canon. If photo print is a high priority then a dedicated photo printer might be worth considering as they often operate on more colour inks and can be used without connecting to a computer. But then you may need a separate basic printer linked to a computer for other uses. Whether your budget will run to two printers will need investigating however, you may well be able to do a deal and get some additional discount.

If you decide on a multi-function printer I would  go for the highest specification machine that you can afford.

Baz

I bought a Canon MP500 around 6 months ago for I think it was 169€ including delivery from Amazon France. I know it's more than you're hoping to pay but it has smaller brothers as well with similar specs. It's a multifunction printer and scanner which I find very handy as I frequently scan and save documents directly into my PC for the next time I need a copy for some French administrative department or other! I can't fault it's performance, it's quick and not noisy. The inks are individual - I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I don't use it for photo printing but by all accounts it performs well if that's what you want. If I have a complaint with it it is that it's large - seriously large - but if you can find enough space I would definitely recommend it, or one of it's brothers!

I think the latest version of the one I bought is model MP600 -

Canon Pixma range here: http://tinyurl.com/322p3p

Price guides here: http://tinyurl.com/2me4tl

I am quite happy with the HP Photosmart C3183, it prints, scans and photcopies and, whilst I dont know the price in Europe, it cost me substantially less than the equivalent of 100 euros.

I also have the same model at work and my main contractor has a number of them. Everyone seems happy with the model so it must have something going for it.

I agree with the other posters - get the best one you can afford. Or you could do what I've started to do now - keep the old printer, or get a cheap one for the odd job, and when I get some photos to print, I go down to the local supermarket with a CD or memory card and they print them for me. It saves all the hassle of trying to get a good deal on ink cartridges.

Tim

Martin's suggestion of a two-pronged solution is well worth considering. I've found a simple monochrome laser to be VERY cheap to run per page, and most of the time it is all that I need. You can buy a Brother laser for around 90€ from FNAC, and you'd be surprised how long the toner lasts. Then get a decent HP multi-function colour machine and only use it for printing when you MUST have colour.

Regards

Pickles

My Canon MP110 printer/photocopier/scanner works overtime and is a great little piece of kit for which I paid 120 euros in a Leclerc promotion.   Good to have a copier which is independent of the computer, too. Nice cheap cartridges and it doesn't get the hump if I don't use if for a few days.

I will look at this one, thanks.

Unfortunately, space is at a bit of a premium, so I really do need just one printer, otherwise I would have to keep moving them around.

I have had a couple of Canon's, neither of which have lasted that long, but then again they were ridiculously cheap, so I guess I got what I paid for.    

I have a HP 900 which is a Printer/Scanner/Copier and Fax and also takes Photo Cards from a variety of different formats.

Works brilliantly on all aspects.

Cartridges are not cheap though but do last a long time. Obviously depending on throughput.

Prints out thumbnails of photos which can then be chosen by marking the print for size etc. put back in and the machine does it all.

David