Moving to France in 2008 - is dependable ADSL an impossibility?

I have had teething problems and when it is stormy and thundery, I can loose the signal for a few minutes (I tend to switch the whole thing off anyway)

Apart from that, both the laptop and the PC are on all day without any problems.

You've no doubt read my (amongst other's) experiences,  hence your post.   I think we are in a worse-than-average area,  but it certainly is beyond doubt that when ours is down then so is everyone else's.   Often it's no more than ten minutes a day,  but we have had longer breaks,  the longest being 12 hours,  the second longest about 8 hours.  Half an hour is the usual,  normally in the evening.   Switching the box on and off often seems to reawaken it,  and my impression is that if you use it continuously (eg to listen to a radio station on the net) it seems to reduce the chance of its dropping out,  though this may be my imagination.

We've learnt to work round it,  but it is damned annoying if one's decided to get on with something else in the expectation of being able to internet later on,  only to find that it's gone down.

How can you tell what it will be like?   Only by asking around in the neighbourhood,  which you can't as yet do.

But is anything in your work REALLY that urgent?

Laters:  I realise that my last line sounds a bit patronising,  which it isn't supposed to.   What I meant is that - apart from ADSL drop outs - there are all sorts of difficulties in rural life that can assail the electronically advanced.   Last year we had a power cut of over 30 hours,  and even the analogue phone system succumbed after 24 hrs;   the accumulators at the exchange simply ran down.  Short power supply breaks are not uncommon,  particularly during a storm.   By the time the storm has gone and it's safe to switch back on,  an hour or so might have elapsed.   But no-one has been sacked from work as far as I know;  you just adapt.   I wasn't intending to sound patronising!

even laters:  it's gone very quiet from our good friends Danny & Jane;  I wonder how their switch over from Club Internet to Alice is going?   Or maybe not!

I think that if you pick your location with a degree of care, IE by ensuring that  you are within 5kms of the telephone exchange, you can get ADSL that is nearly as reliable and certainly faster and cheaper than the UK for a similar type of location.

We are in fairly rural Charente and have had ADSL (512k - ish I think) for about 2 years. There was an article in the local rag recently Saying that most places in the area can get ADSL with just a few isolated pockets not being served. If you ask at the local Mairie when you are househunting, they should know.

I've had adsl for a couple of years now.

Very rarely do I lose it - possibly 3 or 4 times in that period - usually at a weekend but only for a short time, an hour or so.

Can't complain about it especially with free phone calls (virtually) worldwide. I use Alice.  Sometimes there is a very slight delay but that may be as I have a cordless phone with 3 handsets around the house.

[quote user="Breton Networks"]

[quote user="Phil and Lesley"] as I need permanent ADSL
[/quote]

No such thing, I'm afraid, anywhere. [/quote]

I live in Brittany too, and we have had no problems at all with our ADSL; so what problems have you experienced that you have made you so emphatically negative in your response?

Sue

[quote user="spg"]

I live in Brittany too, and we have had no problems at all with our ADSL; so what problems have you experienced that you have made you so emphatically negative in your response?

Sue

[/quote]

We lose our connection for a few minutes a few times most days but most of the time it reconnects automatically so don't notice the disconnection. I can let you have the 18nc.com logs if you are interested.

My comment was more that ADSL is not a guaranteed, or a 100% reliable technology anywhere, which is why companies & organisations still use (very) expensive leased lines in 'Mission Critical'  applications.