Windows Vista - how to change the language from French to English

My friend has bought a new PC, keyboard, printer package and it's all set up - Windows Vista was already installed (we don't have the disk).  Everything works fine but the instructions, menus, etc., are all in French.  Now she's a complete novice at computers and her French is fairly basic, so she wants to change it all to read in English.  the keyboard, by th way, is a French keyboard (Q where the A should be, and all that, but no problem, she wants to keep it like that).

I've been into Control Panel - Language settings - and changed it to English but kept the clavier/keyboard as French.  However, that doesn't change anything at all ... the menu and toolbar options are still in French and 'help' menu still comes up in French.  The shop cannot help - small French unit. 

I've searched on the internet and found some advice, just change teh Language settings -but it doesn't change a thing.  Now, because it's someone else's computer I want to ensure I'm doing it correctly (I'd be happy to play around recklessly on my own!) so can anyone please explain, in simple steps, what I need to do to get her PC to start in English, and all menus and toolbars in English?

Any advice, simple steps, will be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks all.

Hi,

IMHO if the operating system installed is the French version you can't change the language.  You can change the 'Input' language i.e. keyboard and some installed programmes allow you to install or change the language but not the operating system sofware.

Regards

That's what I've been told. When I bought my wifes lappy a year ago, I asked if XP could be converted into English. I was told the only way to do it was to install an English version of XP on the machine. But this would invalidate the warranty (it was bought from Darty) and no gaurantee that the keyboard would function properly.

When I bought my lappy a month ago, I wanted it all in English so I ordered it from Dell UK and it only cost an extra 20 quid in shipping. And it has XP and not Vista too!!!

[quote user="tel"]IMHO if the operating system installed is the French version you can't change the language.  You can change the 'Input' language i.e. keyboard and some installed programmes allow you to install or change the language but not the operating system sofware.[/quote]

That was certainly the case with XP & earlier versions, but http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/2bac0e03-c331-48fc-8b7e-b66b8007512d1033.mspx seems to imply that you can install multiple languages in Vista.

Sorry to disagree but this only applies to input language as I indicated, I could type a letter in say: MS Word in French by changing the language however the operating system language can't be changed.  I have been running Vista for some time and tried this but it doesn't work.  Maybe when Microsoft bring out SP1 for Vista this will be addressed, but I wouldn't hold my breath as MS make a lot of money by selling you their versions of Windows in the various languages.  I stand to be corrected, however if it can be done I would be grateful for the info.

Regards

You need to find  C:\WINDOWS\mui\muisetup.exe.  Then execute this program to change OS to English. Not all versions of windows will have this depending on the build of windows you have. If not you could try searching the internet for somewhere to obtain it [;-)]

Note: Your Drive letter might not be C:\ depending on your PC set up.

[quote user="tel"]....however the operating system language can't be changed. [/quote]

From the link:

How to change the display language

The display language is the language that Windows uses in wizards, dialog boxes, menus, Help and Support topics, and other items in the user interface. Some display languages are installed by default, and others require you to install additional language files

[quote] I stand to be corrected, however if it can be done I would be grateful for the info.[/quote]

Have a look at the Microsoft link :-)

Muisetup seems to refer to xp and 2000 professional eds.

You only have to learn the basics in French, Any english language progs installed will operate in english. By the way, many computers insist that you create your own system disks on first use - and only let you do it once! Try looking on the manufacturers english/com website for info.

Hi,

[quote user="Breton Networks"]

Have a look at the Microsoft link :-)

[/quote]

As I stated in my post - I looked at the link (found it myselft some time ago) I have tried this approach and it doesn't work! 

According to Microsoft Vista Discussion groups this can only be acheived if you have Vista Ultimate, which is rarely installed on a laptop unless specified.

"There is however a little detail that Microsoft failed to
emphasize, the MUI packs are not available for all Windows Vista editions.
"We advise that the MUI for Vista is not available as a separate product
and that this functionality is included in the Windows Vista Ultimate
and Enterprise Editions. We also advise that the MUI for Windows XP
Professional is not available as a separate product and that to obtain a
license to run the MUI version of Windows XP Professional, customers
will need to either acquire Windows Vista Business with Software
Assurance, or as an alternative to acquire Windows Vista Ultimate
through the OEM channel. These two options both allow downgrade rights
to the MUI version of Windows XP Professional," revealed Lisa Michigan
from the Microsoft licensing team.
Microsoft overhauled the process of applying MUI packs to Windows XP
with Vista. Language packs are no longer deployed on top of the English
version of the operating system in Vista to create a localized user
experience. "In Windows Vista, the MUI architecture separates the
language resources for the user interface from the binary code of the
operating system. This separation makes it possible to change languages
completely without changing the core binaries of Windows Vista, or to
have multiple languages installed on the same computer. Languages are
applied as language packs containing the resources required to localize
part of, or the entire, user interface in Windows Vista," Microsoft stated"

Regards

Guys speaking as an  MSCE, you cannot change the OS language it is set in Stone end of story, the end!!! The only way is to do an install with a differnet language OS cd which you are gonna  have to buy, then make sure you back up all the drivers for the machine. Please do not get taken in by the sales man/woman who say it can be IT CANNOT.

[quote user="tel"]According to Microsoft Vista Discussion groups this can only be acheived if you have Vista Ultimate, which is rarely installed on a laptop unless specified.[/quote]

I don't use Vista (except via a remote interface) but that link states:

Applies to all editions of Windows Vista.

Don't say Microsoft are telling porkies :-)

I agree, Vista Ultimate excepted it seems, a PC or laptop will only operate in the language of the CD used to install the OS. If you want it in English you will have to buy a retail English version of Vista (or XP) and completely start from scratch. The regional settings are only for changing keyboards and number or date formats etc.

Question: I have never tried it but will vista allow you to completely overwrite it with a different version without a reformat ?

Also a word on the earlier advice about backing up drivers:

Unless you have a CD with these on then it is impossible to save them from an existing installation, it just doesn't work like that. It's like trying to transfer a programme you have installed on one PC to another simply by copying it across, it won't work. Sometimes there is a folder on the HD called "Drivers" in which case you might be in luck because this will usually contain all the drivers and you can copy them off for later use.

Failing this you can usually go to a laptop manufacturers web site and download the neccessary drivers but do it whilst you have a working system because if you have no other access to the internet you may find the driver you need to get your laptop back online isn't installed and you won't be able to get online to download it !

Well thank you everyone for your informative and interesting replies.  However, it seems that it cannot be done unless we buy an English operating system to instal over the top of the French one and, as it isn't my own machine, I'd be reluctant to do this to someone else's.  So I think we shall leave well alone and, instead, stand a modern dictionary by the side of the PC to look up all the toolbars as they pop up.

Luckily, however, my friend is a total PC novice so only wants to browse the internet, do some emailing, take photos and not much else .... so the finer intricacies of control system configurations and multiple user options will, thankfully, never be used.

Anyway, thanks for trying to find the answer.  I appreciate all your efforts.  gosh, what a bright bunch you all are out there!!!

[quote user="ErnieY"]Also a word on the earlier advice about backing up drivers:

Unless you have a CD with these on then it is impossible to save them from an existing installation, it just doesn't work like that. It's like trying to transfer a programme you have installed on one PC to another simply by copying it across, it won't work. Sometimes there is a folder on the HD called "Drivers" in which case you might be in luck because this will usually contain all the drivers and you can copy them off for later use.

[/quote]

You can get all the non-microsoft drivers from your installation using a free program called 'Drivergrabber' and it does it very quickly and puts them into a folder for you. [;-)] Wonderful some of the stuff people do for free isn't it ?