[quote user="sweet 17"]

Cat

If you do fulfil the conditions, where do you apply for the exemption?  I thought the TV licence formed part of your taxe d'habitation.  Is that correct or not?

[/quote]

Worried now........

I too thought that!!

I have no intention of avoiding any payments to anyone  as I understand there are a lot of British who don't pay up instantly as the French do, but in the 'normal' British 4-8 week period.

I have no TV licence in France and the 2 local commune mayors were at a party at our house a couple of weeks ago watching the England/France match!!!

( have to say I was very impressed on their response to losing!![:-))])

[quote user="Nicos"][quote user="sweet 17"]

Cat

If you do fulfil the conditions, where do you apply for the exemption?  I thought the TV licence formed part of your taxe d'habitation.  Is that correct or not?

[/quote]

Worried now........

I too thought that!!
I have no intention of avoiding any payments to anyone  as I understand there are a lot of British who don't pay up instantly as the French do, but in the 'normal' British 4-8 week period.
I have no TV licence in France and the 2 local commune mayors were at a party at our house a couple of weeks ago watching the England/France match!!!
( have to say I was very impressed on their response to losing!![:-))])
[/quote]

It's been included on the Taxe d'Habitation bill for a couple of years now.

Its paid  as part of your  Taxe d'  Habitation ....  Redevance Audiovisuelle  for me was 116 euros .....I have paid mine ...after all its cheaper than the UK licence  and I am happy to do so as I watch their channels ....  I dont know what the penalty for viewing in France is without paying ....but can guess it will be steep !

[quote user="Frederick"]

Its paid  as part of your  Taxe d'  Habitation ....  Redevance Audiovisuelle  for me was 116 euros .....I have paid mine ...after all its cheaper than the UK licence  and I am happy to do so as I watch their channels ....  I dont know what the penalty for viewing in France is without paying ....but can guess it will be steep !

[/quote]

I will let you know if they catch me!

I paid it without realising the first year and then claimed it back (because I didnt, sorry dont! have a TV) with an attestation from the mairie, they dont appear to have put it back on this year but of course I didnt look too hard[;-)]

It is not part of the taxe d'habitation, it is just on the same bill, but appears quite distinctly.  I have never paid it as I don't have a tv, and before I would get the odd letter saying did I still not have a tv, but now there is just something to tick on the tax declaration form.

Thanks- the documents are in France which is why I couldn't check- the previous owner had a tv and wouldn't have been the sort of person who would avoid payment, so I presume it would automatically continue.

However - the OP ( sorry if I have lead the thread astray) was wondering if he would be exempt because of his age...we bought our house from a guy in his 70's so exemption/reduction of fees might have affected us!

Will let you know if we get fined between now and the end of next month!![:-))]