Hello, this is my first attempt at posting a message on the forum, so bear with me please.  Does anyone know if its feasible to bring my freeview boxes with me to France.  Will they work?  I'm moving to the Bordeaux area in June and am trying to find out as much as possible before i go with regards to whats practical or not to take with me.  Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and reply.

Bodie

The thread clair has highlighted does tell you all you need to know,  but in summary

Unless your Freeview box is an old OnDigital box then it is almost certain it will work in France.  Bordeaux and its surrounds are well covered by digital terrestrial transmissions.

You can view the coverage map here

http://www.tdf.fr/tnt-cartes-couverture/?dpt=33

and choosing a commune (eg Bordeaux) and then by clicking on one of the coloured blobs for Bouliac.

However,  you won't get British TV on a freeview box;  for that you need a satellite system.

TNT generally requires a good clean signal to work properly,  so unless you are within a few miles of Bouliac you will probably need a roof aerial.

Apologies if I'm over-egging the point,  but the nomenclature (freeview,  freesat,  free-to-view,  free to air,  freesatfromsky etc) tends to muddy the waters.

If it's it's free to view you want in France, the only way is a Sky box, but instead of a monthly subscription (minimum £15 a month) you need a one off purchase FTV (Free to View) card from SKY (£20 approx), as the other British FTV systems rely on a "normal" aerial and broadcast systems, which obviously will not have the range!!!!

[quote user="powerdesal"]I'm not convinced you are totally correct there, we have a digi-box & dish from a brico and get lots of free to air channels including a number of UK channels, not sure exactly which ones but certainly some.

[/quote]

As Martin has already pointed out, the jargon is the confusing factor. The Free-to-View channels include things like C4 and C5, which are scrambled and are NOT free-to-air (yet!) and can hence only be picked up by a Sky box with a suitable card (either the one-off payment or subscription). The BBC channels and ITV 1,2,3,4 (and a lot of others) ARE free-to-air and can be picked up by either a Sky box (with or without card) or any standard digital satellite receiver (eg from a brico). For those used to Digital Terrestrial (Freeview) in the UK, note that not all the channels which are available without subscription on that system are FTA on satellite (C4/C5 being the obvious ones - there are others).

Regards

Pickles

• 7 months later...
[quote user="bodie"]

Hello, this is my first attempt at posting a message on the forum, so bear with me please.  Does anyone know if its feasible to bring my freeview boxes with me to France.  Will they work?  I'm moving to the Bordeaux area in June and am trying to find out as much as possible before i go with regards to whats practical or not to take with me.  Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and reply.

Bodie

[/quote]

Bodie, I see you have brought this message back up - I suppose, from reading through the responses that you didn't get a clear answer to your question.

To clarify, when you say 'Freeview' boxes, what, exactly, do you mean? To some, the terminology is confusing.

Tim