Mobile phone

At present paying 15euros a month to support an orange 'pay as you go' mobile, if I don't top up in time I lose whatever has built up on phone which has been as high as 100euros. The phone is only maintained for emergencies when out and about. Anyone know of a cheaper way of financing a mobile and that doesn't need topping up on such a regular basis. 

[quote user="valB"]At present paying 15euros a month to support an orange 'pay as you go' mobile, if I don't top up in time I lose whatever has built up on phone which has been as high as 100euros. The phone is only maintained for emergencies when out and about. Anyone know of a cheaper way of financing a mobile and that doesn't need topping up on such a regular basis. [/quote]

On Cooperlola's say so last summer we purchased a SIM card from Tesco direct. We then put it into an unlocked mobile that we had and we keep it for emergencies only and when we are abroad (from France) to use. There is no expiry date on the credit. The calls are not cheap but then again we haven't used it in an emergency yet and hopefully wont have to use it often.

As an aside the SIM card cost 10 Pounds but it came with 20 Pounds of calls on it!!!!!!!!!

It is orange fr.simm card so we have a French number and as I explained, Benjamin, if we do not top it up each month we loose all the euros on it...hense trying to find a better system, one that we maybe just pay for the line and then calls we make which are almost none to date. We even let visitors use it to phone UK to get rid of some of the money on it.

[quote user="valB"]It is orange fr.simm card so we have a French number and as I explained, Benjamin, if we do not top it up each month we loose all the euros on it...hense trying to find a better system, one that we maybe just pay for the line and then calls we make which are almost none to date. We even let visitors use it to phone UK to get rid of some of the money on it.[/quote]

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying but just because you've got an orange.fr simm card in at present doesn't stop you replacing that card with a. n. other's card unless the contract that you're on with Orange is long term so you have to stick with them.

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="valB"]It is orange fr.simm card so we have a French number and as I explained, Benjamin, if we do not top it up each month we loose all the euros on it...hense trying to find a better system, one that we maybe just pay for the line and then calls we make which are almost none to date. We even let visitors use it to phone UK to get rid of some of the money on it.[/quote]

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying but just because you've got an orange.fr simm card in at present doesn't stop you replacing that card with a. n. other's card unless the contract that you're on with Orange is long term so you have to stick with them.

[/quote]It does if you have a locked phone (probably dirt cheap to have bought) dedicated to Orange.  But you can get these unlocked after a period of time - how to do this should be in your phone's instructions, and usually involves a call to your service provider (or a visit to the Carphone Warehouse who can do this too, so I've heard...)

French telecomm companies have to unlock your phone for free, on request, after you have let your contract run for 6* months. (*reasonably sure!) Had no probs with Orange unlocking. Phone now got a Tesco card in, Phone language changed to English, but an odd bit of French creeps in...

• 2 weeks later...
I use the Orange Initial 7€ per month.  Dead easy.  Nothing to expire, nothing to top-up and probably not far off a minimal use PAYG as you don't end-up losing unused credit all the time.

Other networks offer similar deals (at least I know SFR do - except, when I looked some time ago, they exclude some "nice to have" things and then charge a bit extra to have those (e.g. Caller number identification).  With Orange its all included.

However, if you do go with the Orange Initial ask for and then double check they enable international roaming.  This seems to be a separate option from the make/receive international calls and when I eventually got it enabled I received an automatic SMS telling me it was now enabled (my FT shop could not do it and I needed to call Orange Customer Services to get it done).

Ian

I purchased the Le Clerc sim card 2/3 weeks ago and  it is working  well.   I had my phone unlocked before I came to France.

I had and Orange sim card in the phone and it was Pay as you go.  I was always having top ups and then having to use it or top up again. Very expensive to use.  When I purchased my Le Clerc sim card I had to show my passport to register it.  I put the new sim card in my phone within the hour and it was working no problems.   You can keep your old number but it is complicated.  I chose to accept a new number.  Calls are much cheaper now and I do not have to worry about using up 30/40 euros in a few days.

There was a selection of cheap phones available with the sim card if you are unsure your present mobile is unlocked.

Good Luck.

Similarly I unlocked my (other) mobile on internet before coming to france, but have not got around yet to actually sorting out french mobile as i currently use my tesco uk one in dire emergencies (eg car broken down, that sort of stuff).    Trying to sort something out for OH so he can use the unlocked phone when I am not here.      Would prefer something like the leclerc deal for obvious reasons.   Perhaps I shall have to try and seek out the nearest store and just go there after all.

My suggestion to this would be to buy a simm card(mine was 15€ from bouygues) and have an unlocked phone(mine was free).

You will then have a phone that can recieve calls...

If you need to make a call buy(you can pre buy and use it when you want) a 10/15 euro top-up and make the call and further calls for a month.

Do this again the next time you need to make a call.

p.s. you need to top up once ever 8 months otherwise you will lose the simm... see site for exact terms

Thanks

osie