Viewing items on eBay France

To add some clarity and also some confusion to the issue!

My computer is a very old UK one but with French windows logiciel operating system set to the French language and with an AZERTY keyboard and I have no problems viewing and accesing the items that I have previously bought or viewed on E-bay.fr

I searched on e_bay.fr for "camping car", "caravane pliante" etc and found and accessed plenty all of which would accept only personal cheque.

However when I did the same for "montre swatch" all of the ones I looked at accepted paypal, OK they were typically €25-40 but in the past I had bought two and both sellers only accepted a personal cheque.

Give me another search to try that you are having problems with, but how can I try to find something that is not accessible to you all if we dont know what we cannot find?!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe its a cookie-type problem with our computers.

My laptop is a UK one running XP. I have a French ebay account I set up here, and a different Uk account I have had for years.

On my laptop, I cant see any cars from the ebay autos section, no matter whether I am logged out, logged in on my french account or my uk account. It also makes no difference if I use IE or firefox. However, I CAN see the cars if I use the german proxy mentioned earlier.

However, I just tried it on my gites communal PC, which is a french computer running french XP (not that I see that making a difference surely?) and I can view everything with no problems at all, whether logged out, or logged into my french account. I didnt try logging in to my uk account to try as I dont want to screw things up if its something to do with the UK side.

Both PC`s run through the one router/modem so both have the same (french) IP address.

Having had a think about this you might try this.

Close your browser first

Start - Settings - Control Panel - Regional Settings

Where it says Your Locale (Location) change it from UK English to French (France)

Click on Apply and then OK to close the box. If you don't click on Apply first you will still get the problem until you re-boot your PC.

Now start your browser, go to Ebay France click on the Auto section tab within EBay and then try opening one of the adverts for a car that is for sale and up comes the complete details and you can bid.

It had to be something like this as I have a new French Ebay account and a French ISP so my logic it, and it was confirmed in a way by the previous post that it was something to do with the PC you are using.

The negative of this is that numbers are displayed different French use a comma and not a point and the default currency will be either Francs (if you have an old version of Win 2000) oe Euros but then you can always change it back if thats a problem.

Good luck

Edit - It stopped working on my XP Pro machine for some reason but my Win 2000 machine is still working OK.

From Ebay France.  If you opened your account with EBay France you can view all the French items.  If you opened it with eBay UK you cannot,  even if you have changed all your addresses, e-mail etc  to France, you have to join EBay France and that is what I am doing.  Nothing else is necessary if you live in France.  If you live in the UK it seems that unless enough people complain you will only now see see items offering paypal in France, unless you do some work around.

Changing the Windows location didn't work for me Quillan and I tried a reboot too just in case. I'm on XP Home.

And Ron, I've joined eBay France with completely new registration details and logon. That didn't help either !

The only solution that does the trick that I can find is Krusty's proxy server in Germany. Even the other proxy locations on that service didn't work, just the German one.

I just can't fathom the purpose of this. Even in the UK car sales on eBay are exempt from the requirement to accept PayPal so why block any users from seeing items ? As WB has said it seems to have arisen following the case in France against eBay for allowing counterfeit goods to be sold on it's site. But counterfeit Skodas ?? I think this must be a side effect of some clever tricks gone wrong at eBay. Hopefully they'll sort it soon.

[quote user="Will"]

Not so Ron. I opened my account with ebay France but can only see the French items that can be bought with Paypal unless I go through the German proxy.

[/quote]

But through which EBay do you view your Ebay stuff?  What is your my Ebay in, French or English?  If you use Ebay France exclusively then there really is a problem and no point in signing over to EBay France.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]But through which EBay do you view your Ebay stuff?  What is your my Ebay in, French or English?  If you use Ebay France exclusively then there really is a problem and no point in signing over to EBay France.[/quote]

I view through eBay France Ron and it's all in French. I too thought this would resolve the issue but it didn't.

I have been digging on Ebay announcements and Forums and came across this.  Maybe this gives a clue as to at least wehy UK users cannot see French items?

Showing your items in search results on other eBay sites

Attract more potential international buyers by showing your eBay items in search results on other eBay sites. Buyers on the sites you choose will see your listings exactly as you posted them on eBay.co.uk or eBay.ie. You’ll be able to reach millions of buyers without having to create separate listings for the other sites.

Expanding your market by choosing international site visibility is a listing upgrade available for items in selected eBay categories. The fee depends on which site you choose for your upgrade.

The seller, the category, and the item all must be eligible for listing on the other site. To find out about eligibility on other eBay sites, you can visit the site using the Global Sites dropdown menu on the eBay homepage.

Seller qualifications

• You need to have a minimum Feedback Score of 10 to provide international site visibility to your listings.

• Your eBay account must be in good standing. 

• You’ll need to have a PayPal account and be PayPal Verified.

• You’ll need to meet the selling requirements of the sites where you want visibility. To learn about eligibility on other eBay sites, you can link to the site from the Global Sites dropdown menu on the eBay homepage.

• You can select the international site visibility listing upgrade for the countries where you want your eBay items to appear in search results.

In other words, sellers now have to opt for display on other Ebay sites, pay extra for it....  and have a Paypal account. Whilst explaining why those in the UK cannot now see French items, it still does not explain why those logged into EBay France cannot view all the items does it.[8-)]

I have recieved an email back from EBay with a fix that works for both Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

For your reference, please understand that due to certain restrictions

within other countries we have implemented some features that help

enable us to respect their laws. These features should only affect

members who live outside of the United States. In order to access eBay

France please change the following settings in your browser:

For IE users:

1. Click on "Tools"

2. Click on "Internet options"

3. Click on "Languages"

4. Click on and remove any language that has [de] or [fr] (German or

French languages) at the end of the language selection.

5. Click "OK" and then click "OK" again.

For Netscape Users:

1. Click on "Edit"

2. Click on "Preferences"

3. Under "Navigator" click on "Languages"

4. Click on and delete any language that has [de] or [fr] (German or

French languages) at the end of the language selection.

5. Click "OK". That should take care of any restrictions you've

previously experienced. If you still get the message, please make sure

that you have cleared your cache and try again.

I trust this information has been helpful to you. Please let us know if

we can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

Ciara Saunders

eBay Customer Support

I found that with IE7 you can have both English and French loaded but you need to have French first. You can do this once you have added French by highlighting it and moving it UP to the top.

I have worked out why my first 'fix' works with W2K and not XP. The reason is that when you change the regional setings in XP it adds the language to IE7. With W2K it 'replaces' the old language with the new.

Because it adds the language to Win XP it's not the first language but the second so why it worked for me the first time I don't know but if you move French UP to the top of the list it works every time.

You can also have French and English loaded on IE6 (the W2K machine - IE7 does not run on it), again French must be the first (top) language.

I am not sure if there is any advantage or disadvantage in having two languages, I have not figured that out yet but the forum, Ebay France, Ebay UK and Ebay US work OK

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]Would not work with Firefox either until I put French at top of the language list in Tools/Options/Content/Languages.

Danny[/quote]

Thank you for that tip!

I have put French at the top of the languages list and I can now use FF to see the ads I could only view with IE7 yesterday.

A large coconut to that man!!  Well done Quillan.  I have told EBay France the solution is not to re-register and only to change the language preference.  There has been quite a bit about this on EBay itself with sellers complaining about not being able to view items in France and it was assumed it was to do with the fake goods and paypal only issues.