Why bother with Sky ?

Is there any reason why we should bother with Sky TV now that Freesat is available which gives all the same channels without the need for a viewing card or a UK address. I think that the HD HUMEX (sp?) box does everything that the Sky digiboxes can do so why bother with Sky ?  I think that they are bringing out a HD freesat both with a built in DVR or is that out already ?  Should I buy now or wait until prices come down ? Any comments ?

Some may say you're jumping the gun slightly - Five, Five US, Five US+1 Fiver, Fiver +1 and Sky 3 are not available on freesat because they are not yet free to air. But gernerally, unless you're a massive sports fan or such like, I agree with you. Five should be on freesat later this year, but almost certainly not the others.

The Humax HD PVR is the machine I'm waiting for - and alot of others, it would appear.

Regards - Tim

The Humax launch price is I think £ 299. Two tuners and big hard drive. Launch date in some press coverage was 28th October but I have not seen one for sale yet

In three years time I think the UK price for something similar will be under £ 150. There is a risk that the freesat specification may change in the the same way that freeview evolved and you will miss out on some future features. I have not read a review yet and am not sure if it will support a second paid of LNBs.

If I did not already have a second sky box in another room with a phantom PVR and a DVD recorder I would be very tempted. If I had an HD ready TV and no SKY box I would probably install freeview now.

I am waiting for Freesat to evolve, but in the meantime eBay UK is awash with cheap sky boxes as people go sky+.  I have just bought a Pace 430 for £18 + postage.  Even without an expired card it gives the same as freesat, and the sky programme guide is useful. A couple of those with a twin LNB will keep me in TV and Radio4 for the time being. 

I have just had this news letter re freesat ....it may be of interest

Dear Humax User

I am pleased to announce that in the next few weeks we will be launching our FOXSAT-HDR digital Freesat+ recorder.

This product continues our fine tradition of high quality, market leading terrestrial Freeview recorders (recorders that receive the broadcast signal over a TV aerial) the PVR9200 series and PVR9300 series, only this time for the Freesat satellite service (receives its broadcast signal through a satellite dish).

The unit will be available from the major retailers by the the end of November, and is bursting with Freesat+ recording features to capture the incredible colour, sound and crystal clear images of the BBC HD (High Definition) channel and ITV HD red button service.

When launched, the high specification, twin tuner Humax FOXSAT-HDR will be the only way to pause, rewind and record Freesat HD digital TV programmes, as well as accessing an expanding choice of standard definition TV, radio and interactive channels.

The FOXSAT-HDR guarantees a whole host of advanced recording features for the Freesat+ digital satellite service:

• Series recording - to automatically record all the episodes of your favourite shows

• Radio recording - never miss your favourite radio shows by recording individual shows, or even a whole series

• Live pause and instant rewind - in case you need to answer the phone or replay that crucial scene

• Schedule tracking - start and finish recordings on time, even when broadcasters change their schedule

• Split recordings - record two-part programmes & films which may have a break in the middle for news bulletins

The 320GB hard drive stores approximately 60 hours of HD  programming, or up to 200 hours of SD (Standard Definition) shows, while the eight day on-screen electronic programme guide makes it easy to scan the Freesat TV schedule and plan your viewing. Also since the FOXSAT-HDR comes with two digital tuners, two Freesat channels can be recorded at the same time, so you never need miss a thing. And with HD highlights including Strictly Come Dancing, Uefa Champions League, England home games, and the FA Cup, there's plenty you won't want to miss.

Other features of the FOXSAT-HDR include:

• Advanced digital text and interactive services

• HDMI slot for transmission of amazing high definition pictures and surround sound audio to an HD-ready TV

• Low power consumption less than 1watt in standby and an automatic standby function triggered by inactivity

• Parental controls access codes prevent children watching inappropriate content

• Audio description services for the blind or visually impaired and one-touch subtitles

• Two scart sockets for connecting other equipment such as a DVD recorder

• Dolby digital audio output

• Connecting leads and controls including HDMI cable, scart cable, and remote control

As already mentioned the FOXSAT-HDR will be available to buy from UK retailers from the last week in November 2008, and will be priced at around £299 (satellite installation not included). For more information, please visit www.humaxdigital.com/freesat as we will be uploading full details of the specification within the next week to 10 days.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Cricket - the pictures are better on the radio

Football and golf?  I'd rather watch the grass grow[/quote]I'm with you 100% Pierre and you can also include rugby, tennis, boxing, WHY, in fact just about anything you can mention which comes under the heading of 'Sport' [:'(]

I guess this means I'm assumed to have a small ***** [blink]