Wanadoo is being.... difficult

Hello.

I am using Wanadoo (i guess france telecom/orange really) internet and phone here in Normandie, it was set up about 3 years ago or so. I dont know if any of you are useing Wanadoo or have any idea what might be making mine crash?

It has allways (since i've been here, about a year) crashed periodicaly, sort of once a week or so.  But now its every 10 - 20 mins and its driving me mad. The internet freezes, but it seems to still think its connected and wont allow me to 'disconnect'. Even going though network connections. You just have to turn the whole machine off and on again via the big button becuase you cant even use the 'shut down my PC' beacuse then the whole thing freezes...... I am getting slightly worn out with all this.

Also my french is no where near the leval of understanding french telephone 'assisstance', i cant even understand the english ones.

Does anybody have any ideas at all?

I have reinstalled Wanadoo. I have cheched that there is still a splitter on the line.

Any help (even some sympathy) would be greatly apreciated.

Thankx, Jessie. 

What kind of modem do you have?  Are you using a Livebox?  Have you tried rebooting the modem while your computer is turned off?

Many people who have had problems with Wanadoo/Orange software have found that it is not only possible to connect to the internet without installing the software, but that their connection is more stable without it.

If don't need the software for television or telephone connection, you might try uninstalling the Wanadoo software and setting up your connection manually.

If you don't want to do that, it may be that your software needs to be updated.  You should be able to see if there are any downloads for your modem on the Orange website or the website of the modem manufacturer.

When we first signed up for ADSL, we had a Wanadoo-supplied Sagem modem and had connection problems similar to yours.  I managed some improvement by ditching the Wanadoo software, but didn't really solve the problem until I replaced the modem with a Netgear Modem/Router, which requires no software on your computer.  Installation was dead easy and my connection is faster and much more stable than before.

Good luck!

[quote user="tenniswitch"]

What kind of modem do you have?  Are you using a Livebox?  Have you tried rebooting the modem while your computer is turned off?

Many people who have had problems with Wanadoo/Orange software have found that it is not only possible to connect to the internet without installing the software, but that their connection is more stable without it.

If don't need the software for television or telephone connection, you might try uninstalling the Wanadoo software and setting up your connection manually.

If you don't want to do that, it may be that your software needs to be updated.  You should be able to see if there are any downloads for your modem on the Orange website or the website of the modem manufacturer.

When we first signed up for ADSL, we had a Wanadoo-supplied Sagem modem and had connection problems similar to yours.  I managed some improvement by ditching the Wanadoo software, but didn't really solve the problem until I replaced the modem with a Netgear Modem/Router, which requires no software on your computer.  Installation was dead easy and my connection is faster and much more stable than before.

Good luck!

[/quote]

We have tv and phone with orange but never installed the software. What does the software do?

[quote user="Jess"]

Hello.

I am using Wanadoo (i guess france telecom/orange really) internet and phone here in Normandie, it was set up about 3 years ago or so. I dont know if any of you are useing Wanadoo or have any idea what might be making mine crash?

It has allways (since i've been here, about a year) crashed periodicaly, sort of once a week or so.  But now its every 10 - 20 mins and its driving me mad. The internet freezes, but it seems to still think its connected and wont allow me to 'disconnect'. Even going though network connections. You just have to turn the whole machine off and on again via the big button becuase you cant even use the 'shut down my PC' beacuse then the whole thing freezes...... I am getting slightly worn out with all this.

Also my french is no where near the leval of understanding french telephone 'assisstance', i cant even understand the english ones.

Does anybody have any ideas at all?

I have reinstalled Wanadoo. I have cheched that there is still a splitter on the line.

Any help (even some sympathy) would be greatly apreciated.

Thankx, Jessie. 

[/quote]

Are you sure that it is the Orange software or the livebox that is the problem? From your description, I have the feeling it is nothing to do with the livebox or Orange. Something is locking up your whole PC. This can happen for innumerable reasons. There are many things to try in order to establish the real cause of the problem.

Firstly, have you tried using a different browser - for ex. firefox instead of Internet Explorer? See if it makes any difference.

I will try to come back later today when I have more time

Danny

PS Richard, The orange software does not do anything very interesting - just automates graphically the set up process and annoyingly redirects you to the Orange homepage

A few years ago we had a similar problem. The phone seemed to work OK but if you just pressed one digit and listed there was a faint noise on the line. The ADSL would be either slow or 'lock up'. The problem was up the telephone pole, there was a bad connection. They could not detect this from the exchange so they sent a lorry and a chap out (they must subcontract this as the lorry was from some company I had never heard of). The whole thing took 48 hours to fix from first call to resolution.

You have to be careful with the Orange/ Wanadoo software. It overwrites some DLL's and other things if it thinks them out of date with new French ones. This is not an issue with XP Professional (I don't know about Vista) as it can have multiple DLL's for the same thing. When I installed the software on a W2K machine the Windows installer always came up in French afterwards. As already stated you can run all the Orange/Wanadoo stuff (including TV and phone) without the software which is good as quite frankly I find it a pain in harris.

We have tv and phone with orange but never installed the software. What does the software do?

I don't have tv and phone with my Orange ADSL package (just my FT landline for the phone and I'm planning to do TV via satellite), so I can't answer for those services.

In my experience with ADSL only, the wanadoo software caused conflicts with my existing MS software, slowed down the connection process and caused lots of disconnects.  That's why I ditched it.

I also recommend dumping Explorer and trying Firefox.

I purchased a laptop recently with Vista x64, and when I tried to install the livebox software via

the CD Orange originally furnished, the computer informed me it was incompatible with Vista.  I called Orange's

help line - what a joke and what a waste of time.  After hemming and hawing, and having me run through

the same configuration checks over and over, the techie told me I'd have to make a telephone rendezvous

with an 'expert' who would help me with my problem, that apparently I had too many computers using

the livebox and the expert would find a way to resolve this.  That sounded like total rubbish to me, especially

when informed that the call would cost 30 euros! 

After searching, I found the site below, followed the instructions and the Internet installed on the Vista laptop

with no problems - I rarely if ever lose the connection.  In short, it was just a matter of pressing the little

button on the bottom of livebox, which I'm sure is what the 'expert' would have had me do after about

15 minutes of useless reconfiguations.

http://london-seo.com/orange-broadband-livebox-installation-help/78/