Heating oil cost

PaulT

[quote user="Théière"]Or an air source heat pump??[/quote]I have no idea what one of those is, but is it something else you can just swap a boiler out for and if so, is it more economical than wood?  (We have our own woodland but sometimes I'm not sure that's more economical than buying wood!)

The first time we filled our tank up in 2005 it was about 56c a litre so it's getting a little scary. 

The last time our plumber serviced our boiler he said it was above the efficiency level required but approaching the time it might need replacing.  So I can't help wonder if I can just swap out the boiler for a new one or a new method - maybe within or not far from the cost of filling the tank again!

[quote user="Debra"]Crikey - I wonder how much it costs to replace an oil boiler with a woodburning one??

[/quote]

With wood at €150 a chord (here anyway) how much would you use in a season, friends of ours use on average 10 chords, and the cost of changing a boiler would that be economical. If you had your own wood supply I suppose it would be in the long term.

We're due a delivery this week on the group scheme in our village. The organiser has quoted 92 cents (or centimes!!) per litre and it's still falling at the moment. That's for the premium grade by the way. I'll report back when we get it.

Wood this year locally is same as last year, 45€/stère cut into 50cms or 50€ cut into 33cms (don't ask what happens to the other centimetre [blink] ).

[quote user="Debra"]The first time we filled our tank up in 2005 it was about 56c a litre so it's getting a little scary. 

The last time our plumber serviced our boiler he said it was above the efficiency level required but approaching the time it might need replacing.  So I can't help wonder if I can just swap out the boiler for a new one or a new method - maybe within or not far from the cost of filling the tank again!
[/quote]

Just changed our boiler - the burner on the old one was no good and last winter saw the heat exchanger crack.

Boiler cost 650 euros and the burner 380 and an efficiency of 94.9%. However, needed a new flue lining as the outlet was larger than the old one.

All in all very pleased with it.

Paul

[quote user="elamessa"]With wood at €150 a chord (here anyway) how much would you use in a season, friends of ours use on average 10 chords, and the cost of changing a boiler would that be economical. If you had your own wood supply I suppose it would be in the long term.[/quote]Are you sure you mean a cord?  I thought they sold wood in steres here....?  Our local price is €35-40 a stere but that is delivered, cut in 50cm lengths and the guy stacks it - it's cheaper if you do the work yourself.  So if you say the average at 50cm lengths then that's €145 a cord - is ten cords normal?  It seems high?

Just saw Sid's costs and they seem similar to here but then we're not so far apart - the wood seems to cost a fiver extra per stere per cut.

[quote user="PaulT"]Just changed our boiler - the burner on the old one was no good and last winter saw the heat exchanger crack.

Boiler cost 650 euros and the burner 380 and an efficiency of 94.9%. However, needed a new flue lining as the outlet was larger than the old one.

Paul

[/quote]

You weren't tempted to change to wood then?

[quote user="sid"]It depends where you look for a conversion factor but a corde is roughly equal to 3 stères, so 150€ would be about right, n'est-ce pas? [geek][/quote]3.62 steres is a cord so €145, yes - but do they sell it in cords here or in 3 steres?  But as I said, is 10 cords an average amount? I thought people were changing to wood because it's cheaper as well as sustainable but not if it takes 10 cords to get through the winter!

[quote user="Debra"][quote user="PaulT"]Just changed our boiler - the burner on the old one was no good and last winter saw the heat exchanger crack.

Paul

[/quote]
You weren't tempted to change to wood then?

[/quote]

WE do have a woodburner but no......

Thanks to M Sarkosy our house will remain our second home as we are early retirees (I know France has been told they cannot discriminate but has anything happened).

Therefore the house will be unoccupied at times over the winter and if the temp drops the thremostats will bring the heating on - cannot do that with wood.

If we lived here full time would we go over completely to wood - perhaps not. A blazing log fire is very nice but perhaps not so nice in a 'tin box'.

Paul

10 cordes ! So that's 1500€ for wood alone! [:-))]  That seems like a huge amount to me, but it will depend on the size of the house, how many woodburners, whether there is other heating, quality of insulation etc etc. The list is endless and no two houses are the same. We know people who use 2000 or 3000 litres of fuel oil per year!

I believe that some parts of Northern France still sell wood by the corde, but not here in 79 anyway.

We have two woodburners plus oil central heating (underfloor and radiators). We buy 5 or 6 steres of wood and around 800 or 900 litres of oil per year. The boiler was replaced early this year and I expect the new one to use less fuel. The house is well-insulated and we're never cold.

Insulation is the key!

[quote user="Debra"][quote user="sid"]It depends where you look for a conversion factor but a corde is roughly equal to 3 stères, so 150€ would be about right, n'est-ce pas? [geek][/quote]3.62 steres is a cord so €145, yes - but do they sell it in cords here or in 3 steres?  But as I said, is 10 cords an average amount? I thought people were changing to wood because it's cheaper as well as sustainable but not if it takes 10 cords to get through the winter!

[/quote]

The 10 Cordes I was talking about was for a house with a wood burning boiler and wood fire and yes they do sell wood by the corde here in the Limousin.

A stere is a metre cubed and a cord is an imperial measurement that equates to 3.62 cubic metres I understand - but if they're selling 'cordes' in the Limousin, is it something different, some metric version of a cord??

Our consumption is about the same as Sid's but as we opened up the second floor and haven't got radiators up there yet (can't get a plumber to come and do it, obviously too small a job!) we may have electricity costs as well this year as we'll need a couple of oil filled radiators in use.  We have one woodburner in the lounge but it heats up to the first floor quite well as it's all open plan.  The stairs stop it going further.  We were hoping that we could just swap out the oil boiler with a woodburning one but if 10 cordes in the Limousin = 30 cubic metres then that's a horrendous amount of wood and quite offputting.  What size hosue is that for, Elamessa?

I know everyone is different.  Some people we know have a combined system which uses oil when the wood runs out and they use a lot of wood but then they like their house at 24 degrees around the clock from about this time of the year onwards.  We don't even use our oil heating until around mid-December - around the time we start feeling that we need a fire lit every day.  Then we have a fire free week or so where we get lazy and just flick the switch!

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="sid"]Wood this year locally is same as last year, 45€/stère cut into 50cms or 50€ cut into 33cms (don't ask what happens to the other centimetre [blink] ).[/quote]2 or 3x the width of the saw blade perhaps !

But what is a stère anyway ?

http://www.webois.fr/stere-metre-cube-bois-de-chauffage
[/quote]

The comment about the missing centimetre was written tongue-in-cheek, I just thought it funny (peculiar) that a metre long log can be cut in two to get 50cm pieces but cut in three you get 33cms. Me being pedantic. [6]

As Debra has said above, I understand a Stère to be a cubic metre. When it's stacked it looks less than that sometimes due to the way the cut logs pack together more the smaller they are, as shown in the diagram in your link. When I talk to our "woodman" he never speaks of a cubic metre, always a stère, at least I have an idea of what I'm going to get.

Just taken delivery of my heating oil; 92 centimes per litre. That's group scheme charge, but I think the cost is still falling slightly at the moment. Our organiser tries to catch it at the right time and there 22 clients in the scheme locally so we get a reasonable price as the tanker only has to make one trip to the village.

EDIT Perhaps I should have pointed out that in this scheme the minimum delivery to get the reduced price is 500 litres, not the usual 1000 litres for an individual customer. I've taken 800, which filled the 1500 litre tank, and represents my total consumption since 2nd October last year. That'll do me!

Your oil consumption is about the same as mine Sid but without my chauffe eau I would be using maybe 1/2 as much again, a definitely worthwhile investment !

My point about a Stére is that cut and split your once 1m3 stack will not measure the same and failure to appreciate this can lead to disagreements with suppliers.

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/bois1.jpg[/IMG]

Understood about the stère, ANO, thanks.

On the oil consumption ours includes hot water production, so the boiler runs all year. The boiler was replaced early this year by a Chappée high efficiency one. It's super quiet, super insulated, and so far is running really well.

[quote user="sid"]On the oil consumption ours includes hot water production, so the boiler runs all year.[/quote]

As did mine Sid but by installing the chauffe eau the cost of providing

over twice as much hot water (200lt -v- 90lt in the oil boiler) is now

about €10/mth (on flat rate electricity BTW).

At current prices €10 equates that to a mere 10lt or so of oil and even with the

most efficient boiler on the market (which mine being 17 years old isn't) that's probably only about a weeks worth meaning a saving of something like €30/mth - and that's making no allowance for the extra wear and tear on the boiler by running it all year round.

Put another way, since fitting the chauffe eau my annual oil consumption has effectively halved personally saving me a conservative €500-600/pa [:D]

Three years or so of that will not only pay for chauffe eau but also for the new boiler I know I'm going to need in the not too distant future and as a bonus, with the decrease in use, will also put off that day arriving [;-)]