International mobile calls

I phoned O2 yesterday and found out that now the international mobile call rates have been lowered (European directive) I was still being charged £2.99 for an international call saver bolt on. Naturally I have cancelled this option as the calls are the same price with or without the call saver option.

As I would imagine other networks have similar chargeable packages I thought I would post to inform the forum users.

International sms rates, by the same directive have also gone down (in theory). To send an sms anywhere in Europe should only cost 13 cents.

Funny how on my orange payg, I am still paying 28 cents, yet when I went to the UK with it, it only cost 13 cents. On returning to France, back up to 28 cents.

Yes I am thinking of changing provider as Orange are taking the michael.

And orange have the nerve to send me a text when I have topped up by more than £15 (UK bank account), telling me that I have 3000 free evening and weekend texts. BUT only when in the UK, they don't apply in France[6]. Thank goodness I don't need to use it that often. When the French wake up to topping up and it not lasting more than 1month, 2 month etc I'll buy a French sim card.

tuppence

[quote user="tuppence"]When the French wake up to topping up and it not lasting more than 1month, 2 month etc I'll buy a French sim card.[/quote]

Of course, French mobile companies are not rushing to offer "never-ending" credits.

It makes commercial sense for them to have customers committed to purchasing mobile phone credit time every 2 weeks or every month and even more so when  the company does not have to supply any service for the money! [:P]

Virgin did the very same thing when they entered the mobile market in France...

[quote user="tuppence"]When the French wake up to topping up and it not lasting more than 1month, 2 month etc I'll buy a French sim card.

[/quote]

Here the money does not get lost, stays valid a year and the fee is €1.50 a month

http://www.leclercmobile.fr/

salut

Herbert

We are also with Leclerc, and are very happy with it, just as you mention.

No charge to set it up, and some free time was included. They phoned to do the transfer in the store, as we wanted to keep our old number, and find phone calls the biggest challenge, especially the accent locally; not too bad face to face/with gestures (clean ones!).

Jo

[quote user="suein56"]But the small(er) print says:

<<Votre ligne reste active tant qu'une consommation de 15€ par trimestre est constatée.>>

For the few of us who really only use a mobile every once in a while then Le Clerc - at 18€ a year cost + calls - is still a winner IMO.

Sue

[/quote]

Sue, you're absolutely right, I have to admit I hadn't noticed that 'minor detail'!!!

I also make few mobile calls but would want the line open all the time so I shall be definitely be changing to Le Clerc.

Many thanks [:)].