Teleconnect - problems galore

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Cathy I'll have to backtrack on that one. I've just been re-reading Mr Caballero's posts on another forum and it seems that the preselect is only active via the router and is not on the line itself although, (I think it was different pre the upgrade), and the cost of calls made on the FT line was only covered for a specific period at the height of the problems back in April so sorry for that.

Nevertheless, by plugging a phone directly into the line you should be able to make and receive calls but will be charged by FT. If you can't or are having problems even with that then I would suspect a problem with your line.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought that was the case. I know I can always make calls via the France Telecom telephone but I'll be darned if I make them to the UK and have to pay for them when I am paying an extra 5 euros on top of the 29.90 for the privilege of unlimited calls to the UK.

Degroupage seems to be misunderstood by residents of the UK.

Perhaps it would be more explicit to consider the DSLAM installed in your local telephone exchange.

In the case of NON degroupage the FAI will use the FT DSLAM; indeed it is more than probable that all FAIs including FT are using the same DSLAM. A consideration of the cost and capacity of DSLAMs will make this reason clearer.

In the case of complete degroupage the FAI ( Free, Bouyges, SFR, etc) will install their very very own DSLAM in the local telephone exchange.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Degroupage seems to be misunderstood by residents of the UK.

Perhaps it would be more explicit to consider the DSLAM installed in your local telephone exchange.

In the case of NON degroupage the FAI will use the FT DSLAM; indeed it is more than probable that all FAIs including FT are using the same DSLAM. A consideration of the cost and capacity of DSLAMs will make this reason clearer.

In the case of complete degroupage the FAI ( Free, Bouyges, SFR, etc) will install their very very own DSLAM in the local telephone exchange.

[/quote]

So when FT receives DSL an ADSL modem with POTS splitter sends voice calls to PSTN and data to DSLAM where it goes through ATM to the Net. Anyone can get that c**p off the net but it means very little to joe public who just wants to log on and surf.

FAI = Fédération Aéronautique Internationale?

So pachapapa what was the point of your post? Showmanship I suspect as it certainly does not educate.

FAI= Fédeération Aéronautique Internationale?

Sorry mate just checked Thread Title and realised that TeleConnect subscribers will not be familiar with french.

FAI is a common acronym for Fournisseur d' Accès d' Internet; checking in Google translate apparently corresponds to ISP, Internet Service Provider.

As implied in "In the case of complete degroupage the FAI ( Free, Bouyges, SFR, etc)"... Free,etc are ISPs or in french FAIs.

P.S. First line of your post seems not to be relevant to a french Modem-Router Box.

French FAI will have an RJ POTS socket, ASTN is not relevant, FAI telephone service is VOIP.

FT fixed line can be retained using a low frequency filter but an expensive option including land line and FT call tarrifs.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Sorry mate just checked Thread Title and realised that TeleConnect subscribers will not be familiar with french.

[/quote]

Your original post was directed at "residents of the UK" so why should they be familiar with the French system?

"FT fixed line can be retained...." With Teleconnect FT line MUST be retained.

Why would anyone in the UK or France for that matter be familiar with "DSLAM installed in your local telephone exchange." or any of the other terms that trip off your tongue so easily? Your post was meant to confuse not educate.

For those wanting to understand what degroupage is in simple basic English you can read about it HERE .

Basically you can't have full degroupage in France because FT always owns the line to your house. Full degroupage means the ISP takes over the line to your house along with its maintenance and FT won't allow that. What some ISP's do (like Orange, Free etc) is lease the line from FT at a very low rate but leaving FT to maintain the line. There are some areas in France. like Paris, where companies have got together and got a licence to install their own cabling system, usually fibre optic (like 'cable London' in the UK) which is nothing whatsoever to do with FT. Hence the phrase "However, full unbundling is not frequently practiced by operators" in the above link.

Degroupage also means that locally a room has to be put aside (by law) in the FT exchange and seperate to the FT equipment to enable ISP's to connect your line to their servers. This is the norm in about 90% of the cases. Unfortunately, and as we all know with other things in France, what must be 'law' is not always done in practice especially in small exchanges in this case where its impossible to find physical space to create such a room. This is normally the reason why some areas are still not degrouped although technically, by law, in the future somebody will have to build a new local exchange or extend it to create a room so ISP's can install their equipment (which incidentally is called a DSlam but don't loose sleep over it). The law is actually EU law because not allowing degroupage is "anti competitive" so companies like FT make it a difficult as possible to do without actually stopping it from happening, eventually, and explains why those out in the sticks have to wait longer to be degrouped.

Finally, why a seperate room for gods sake? Well its to do with control, only the FT guy can access the FT stuff and only the ISP guy can access his stuff so they seperate them in to two different rooms. The reason for this is they reckon the engineers will fiddle with each others equipment, dirty smutty chaps [:$] . I did wonder how they got over the bit of wire that pass's between the two rooms, who's responsible for that and lets hope it never goes wrong else they will, in true French style, be arguing for years as to who is responsible.

Hope that's a bit simpler for people to understand although it is of absolutely no use to those having problems with Teleconnect.

Thanks again Quillan.

IMO the french reads for me better, expressions such as "unbundling room" leave me confused whilst "salle de dégroupage" is clear.

French ADSL users are perhaps more aware of the location and function of the DSLAM after the "slamming" episode a while back.

Link for french readers to an Ariase explanation.http://www.ariase.com/fr/guides/nra-noeud-raccordement.html

For 99% of the people on this forum (and probably the world) the word DSLAM may be from Star Trek as far as they are concerned and they wouldn't have a clue as to what it means or what it does.

For those that want a simple explanation I would use the following crude example.

Most people are aware of products that filter water like Brita for example. Their main claim is that amongst other things they filter out chlorine from the water. With ADSL its similar but different from the point of view that with water and water filters its a one way traffic where as with ADSL is two way, data in and data out. In the crudest terms a DSLAM is a filter at the exchange end that filters out the ADSL signals converts them and sends them as data to the ISP in much the same way as the ADSL filter does that you use in your home to filter the signal out to go to your computer via your ADSL modem. So it would be a bit like having Britax filters at both ends of the water pipe. Of course its a bit more technical and clever than that but that's the basic gist of it. Again it still does not help those with Teleconnect problems.

[quote user="Quillan"]

For 99% of the people on this forum (and probably the world) the word DSLAM may be from Star Trek as far as they are concerned and they wouldn't have a clue as to what it means or what it does.

For those that want a simple explanation I would use the following crude example.

Most people are aware of products that filter water like Brita for example. Their main claim is that amongst other things they filter out chlorine from the water. With ADSL its similar but different from the point of view that with water and water filters its a one way traffic where as with ADSL is two way, data in and data out. In the crudest terms a DSLAM is a filter at the exchange end that filters out the ADSL signals converts them and sends them as data to the ISP in much the same way as the ADSL filter does that you use in your home to filter the signal out to go to your computer via your ADSL modem. So it would be a bit like having Britax filters at both ends of the water pipe. Of course its a bit more technical and clever than that but that's the basic gist of it. Again it still does not help those with Teleconnect problems.

[/quote]

Having trouble checking FILTERS on the Britax website.

http://www.britax.com/

Heard a lot of people have problems with Orange.Got a friend with Free and he says it is pretty good but then there are a lot of people who complain about their service. Personally I like Teleconnect - not had any problems worth mentioning.

[quote user="Lorribee"]Thanks for the lowdown guys & dolls,I was about to subscribe to Teleconnect after giving notice to Sky Dsl (Berlin) satellite broadband provider, but apart from being expensive their service is pretty good.[/quote]

I wouldn't. My husband was cut off in the middle of a phone call a couple of hours ago and we have only just got back on the internet. It is so annoying.

Nine years with wanadoo/orange in October. Only one problem and that was with the cable outside the house which was fixed in 48 hours by FT. I know Orange is more expensive than the rest per month but as they say 'you pays your money and takes your chances' i.e. cheap is not always best.

[quote user="Lorribee"]Thanks for the lowdown guys & dolls,I was about to subscribe to Teleconnect after giving notice to Sky Dsl (Berlin) satellite broadband provider, but apart from being expensive their service is pretty good.[/quote]It's no secret that I used to be a fan of Teleconnect and had no hesitation in recommending them but now I would advise completely to the contrary and would definitely say go somewhere else.

I don't think Teleconnect is cheap at all. We pay the usual 30 euros and then another 5 for unlimited calls to some English speaking countries and have to fork out another 16 (?) to keep on our line rental with FT.  As far as I can see if you go with Free than for your 30 euros you get all this plus calls within France plus calls to most countries of the world.

It's a while since I looked at Free. Is this still the case?