Laptops and multi region DVD drives

I have a DVD player (used for travelling) - a device I've always used seperately from a computer,  as one can buy a multi region version which plays all my US DVDs.

I am now on my 3rd (one smashed in crash, replacement was rubbish and company won't respond to my increasingly angry letters/e-mails etc etc) and even it I'm not happy with as it clunks and grinds so I have to turn the volume up to a stupid level to drown ou the noise, and it jams up at the drop of a hat.

It seems to me best to just buy a laptop and play DVDs on it, but what happens about my multi-region ones?  Is there a laptop which has a known hack I can use?  I don't want to spend a lot as I just chuck good money after bad on the technology front if I'm not careful.  My other thought was to get an external DVD drive for my netbook but again I need to ensure it can play Region 1 stuff.  Any ideas you clever and knowlegeable lot?[:)]

[quote user="Bugbear"]Have a look at this Coops.

[/quote]

Its only for DVD players and not DVD drives in computers or laptops. Just be aware and make sure you can go back to the original settings. I have had more than one player that when hacked lost some of its functionality like for instance couldn't play in DTS mode after hack. My latest DVD/HDD Recorder hacked OK and has no problems but just be aware.

With PC's/Laptops not all have the coding in the DVD player, its in the codex that actually plays the movie and its possible to download different codex's that are multi region. With Windows 7 it will play all regions (well I tested with regions 1 and 2 in truth) and there is no message coming up like you only have another 5 plays till it selects this region permanently.

Thank you all for loads of options and lots to think about.  I have a meeting with my insurance agent re an offer from the Bar Steward lorry driver on Monday, after which I will have a look at what's around and start to make a decision.  I have spotted a 17" Tosh laptop on Amazon with 2 go of RAM and Windows7 which is very tempting for just under £400.

I'm not sure how some of the softwear available will work with my Linux based Netbook which I'm using at the mo'.  However, as I say I do have the option to buy it another external DVD drive which I can leave set up for R1...

D*mn, life never used to be this complicated.