Orange: cheaper internet €19,90/month

For those who wish to keep the Plain Old Telephone System with France Telecom and only need internet access without TV, VOIP etc this new offer from Orange "Découverte internet sans engagement" is an interesting option. It offers a maximum speed of 8 Mbps.

If you currently have 1 or 2 megamax, you get more speed for less money[:)]. Changing from an old subscription to the new offer cannot be done online, you need to call Orange.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jako

I've looked at this offer and it would suit me! I currently pay 36€ for 2 megamax and don't use or want any of the other services (VOIP, free phonecalls, TV etc). In fact 2 mega is the maximun I can expect here right "at the end of the line". I don't understand the term "sans engagement", or rather I don't understand the implications of being "without commitment".

Can you explain what the disadvantages are, if any, please? On the face of it it sounds too good to be true!

Sid

"Without commitment" is exactly to the point. You may end this contract at any time or (better still) change it to a free dial-up subscription ( which will allow you to keep email active) and change it back again later. The disadvantages are the separate €16/month  to France Telecom for your  telephone subscription and no TV etc. But that is probably what you have now.

To me the guy on the helpdesk replied " ah, you want the same subscription, but cheaper?" YES!

[quote user="sid"]

In fact 2 mega is the maximun I can expect here right "at the end of the line".

[/quote]

If you were REALLY at the end of the line you'd get 350 kbps -  which is about what we get when things are running well!

I can only dream of 2 Mbps, and it's the maximum BT provide in most rural areas of Britain too.

Still,  it sounds an interesting offer,   given that we pay Alice for a less than satisfactory VOIP service and retain our FT rental as the VOIP is so often down and out!

[quote user="Martin963"]

If you were REALLY at the end of the line you'd get 350 kbps

Still,  it sounds an interesting offer,   given that we pay Alice for a less than satisfactory VOIP service and retain our FT rental as the VOIP is so often down and out!

[/quote]

How does that work then? As I understand it the reduction of the adsl signal

strength occurs on the copper pair over distance. The further you are away from the exchange the higher

your attenuation figure will be as the signal loss increases. I am at the end of a line 3km and get 2Meg.

I had the same problems with Alice and dumped them for Teleconnect where I get an excellent service.

[quote user="Martin963"][quote user="sid"]

In fact 2 mega is the maximun I can expect here right "at the end of the line".

[/quote]

If you were REALLY at the end of the line you'd get 350 kbps -  which is about what we get when things are running well!

I can only dream of 2 Mbps, and it's the maximum BT provide in most rural areas of Britain too.

[/quote]

Martin

I understood, perhaps incorrectly, that we were somewhat on the limit here, geographically speaking, for broadband. I've just done a check and we're 3590 metres from the "exchange".

All the Orange offers seem to indicate that the service has a max download of 8 mega, but we'd never get that! I ran a speed test just now and got exactly 2Mb/s download and 0.06 Mb/s (!!) upload. (usually I get 0.12).

Not that any of this affects the offer, which wouls save me around 16€ per month for the same service.

Sid

Sorry - I see what you mean.    You can of course be at the end of a line (ie where the line finishes with you as the last building) without being at the technical limit of ADSL functionality.

What I meant was that a really "borderline" situation  (I think we're about 6500 m from the exchange as measured by their system) would be a great disappointment to you if you're used to a solid 2 Mbps.    I was (confusingly) referring to end of the line in the back end of beyond context.

Sorry not to have been clearer.

Does it look to the technical folk here as if one could use a bog-standard (eg Netgear type) ADSL modem/router on this system?

I can see that there's an option to rent the Livebox (which many would consider a state of affairs where THEY should pay YOU!!) but as the VOIP part isn't in the package I would assume any modem/router would do.

Because being able to ditch the ADSL service and restart it would be very interesting for us,   AND we could use one of the local-rate telephone people to get our calls back to Britain.

Any annex-A ethernet modem ( in general any non-German modem for analogue phoneline)  will do. They do not support USB modems for this connection due to USB port speed limitations, but I would give it a try if you have one.

Thanks Jako.

We'll stick with Alice for this summer probably,   but it gives us a good reason to quit them for next winter and then sign up in good time next year with this FT/Orange deal.

Assuming "this Labour government" hasn't bankrupted us all and or introduced exchange controls by then.......

Doesn't do to plan ahead at the moment.....

[quote user="Martin963"]http://www.test-ligne-adsl.com/

is one,  I think there are other better ones.  AnOther will know.

(By supplier I assume you mean the telephone exchange,   forgive me if you mean the nearest FT shop!!)

[/quote]

Sorry, I meant the exchange, thanks for that.

edit:

• NRA : CPH86 - Nombre de lignes : 500
  • Distance vous séparant du central : 3400 mètres - Atténuation : 41.32 dB
  • Estimation débit ADSL : 2 Mbps - Estimation débit ADSL 2+ : 2 Mbps
Good or Bad ?

Pure and utter luxury compared to what we get in France.

There'll be townies here who say you can't manage with less than 4 Mbps,   but believe me,   compared to us 2Mbps is likely to be a lot faster and a lot more stable  (which is the other problem on a very long line,  ours will simply stop when others nearer the exchange merely slow down a bit).

[quote user="Bugsy"][quote user="Martin963"]http://www.test-ligne-adsl.com/

is one,  I think there are other better ones.  AnOther will know.

(By supplier I assume you mean the telephone exchange,   forgive me if you mean the nearest FT shop!!)
[/quote]

Sorry, I meant the exchange, thanks for that.

edit:

• NRA : CPH86 - Nombre de lignes : 500

• Distance vous séparant du central : 3400 mètres - Atténuation : 41.32 dB

Good or Bad ?

[/quote]

Not good distance from DSL is such that no difference between ADSL 2 and ADSL 2+

These are mine;

• NRA : GUG79 - Nombre de lignes : 1 000
  • Distance vous séparant du central : 950 mètres - Atténuation : 14.25 dB
  • Estimation débit ADSL : 8 Mbps - Estimation débit ADSL 2+ : 18 Mbps
  • On a good day with NO SCHOOL HOLIDAYS and the wind in the right direction I get +12 Mbps.

Oooo you lucky people, this is mine, read and weep

• NRA : FRU62 - Nombre de lignes : 3 000

• Distance vous séparant du central : 5870 mètres - Atténuation : 75.36 dB

• Estimation débit ADSL : 512 kbps (READSL) - Estimation débit ADSL 2+ : 512 kbps (READSL)

I think I'll stay with my GPRS stick and I can take it anywhere I want too.

I've just come back from town having just changed over from my old Orange Internet Max 8MB (29,95€pm) to the new Découverte 8MB (19,90€pm).

No problem with the change over, same e-mail addresses, etc and all sorted in ten minutes and I've now got Orange Web TV as well. 

They asked me whether I needed a Livebox and I told them no thanks - the first two had to be exchanged and the third one is also bust and is sitting on a shelf in my garage as it's too much bother to get a returns authorisation through their bleeding helpline.  No problem, he says - bring it in and we'll knock off the 3€ rental charge for you.

They also offered to tweak my FT landline account to add a few options (like suppressing telesales calls) and I've ended up saving another 4€ a month.....[:)]

As for the numbers:

Distance from exchange - 800m  Estimation - 8mbps

Actual speeds:   Download 6200  Upload  300

Hi SD

I'd prefer to do the changeover face-to-face as you have done, and I could dump my redundant Livebox at the same time! Did you visit the FT shop or is there an Orange shop which does more than just mobile phones? The Orange website is pretty hopeless for this sort of information. I'd be looking for somewhere in Niort if possible.

Sid

EDIT - Looks like it's Rue Victor Hugo!

I've answered my own query.

Good idea sid , lets form an orderly line , I have my livebox boxed up ready to dump on their desk. [Www]

my results.

• Distance vous séparant du central : 3624 mètres - Atténuation : 37.32 dB

Done the deed today! I can't say the guy was overjoyed to swap my 36€ subscription for the 19,90€ one, but he did it, no problem. Forewarned by SD's note about the Livebox I packaged mine up and took it along and I've had that 3€ charge removed too. (I've been meaning to do this for THREE YEARS!! as I only used the Livebox for about 3 months in 2005!!).

All in all I'm a happy bunny!

Sid

You need an Orange shop - the one in Limoges should be fine.

Our old FT shop closed down a few months ago and moved to new premises further up the road.  Now branded as an Orange shop. 

Bit of a bummer actually, because they moved into what used to be a very pleasant and handy salon de thé....[:(]

PS:  Took my old Livebox back today and got my account amended to knock off the 3€ per month...