"Sky Guide" Problems

There are HD receiver's that put out HD signals else what would be the point in calling them HD [;-)] . Perhaps it would be better to buy a HD Recorder with integral reciever like Coops. Some HD Recorders also have an optical input so you can connect one box, say the Sky+ box via an optic cable and use the integral HD reciever for French HD reception.

Is it true you can't get English HD without either a HD Freeview box or pay for Sky+, this seems a bit crazy when its free with a HD (terrestrial) Freeview box in the UK. Surely at some stage you must be able to get UK HD via satellite without paying?

....but that was Anton's point I think,  he said "other than"....;   the receiver is HD but you can't "get at" the HD signal other than via the crippled HDMi cable;   (crippled because it only sends an HD signal out provided it "senses" that there is a TV not a recorder at the other end of the HDMi cable).

You can of course get BBC and ITV HD via *any* FTA HD sat receiver,  including abroad within the Astra 2D footprint.   And of course via freesat HD.

What you can't get is ch 4 or FIVE HD via satellite except via Sky sub or Sky FTV (SOLUS) card,   although in Britain you can get ch 4 HD via Freeview (DTT) in certain areas.

If you just want to "time-shift" HD programmes then a freesat HD

receiver with inegrated HDD recorder is the answer.   Many people swear

by the Humax Foxsat HD box/recorder.   But you can't scrape the

programmes out in HD format to archive them.

Is the optical link you mention for the HD pictures,   or is it just a TOSLINK  (ie audio)?    I assumed it was just audio but am not up on HD recorders....

[quote user="Martin963"]....but that was Anton's point I think,  he said "other than"....;

Is the optical link you mention for the HD pictures,   or is it just a TOSLINK  (ie audio)?    I assumed it was just audio but am not up on HD recorders....
[/quote]

Yes sorry your quite right, my error, sorry Anton.

The optic cable is both sound and picture. I have a 'stand alone' Technics amp which also switches the video as well. I have an optical cable only from my DVD/HDD recorder/player but I get audio and video out of my amp via cable to the TV. Admittedly its not HD to the TV, I assumed (yes I know its dangerous) that HD went through it as well if you had it based on looking at some of the specs for HD sat receivers have an optical outlet as well as HD cable outlet. The nice thing about optical cables is no loss and no chance of interference, I have only had one go bust on me over the years but that was my fault.

sorry....my earlier post light have been confusing

you can buy a Sky+ box 2nd hand (with a paired viewing card) and get the HD stuff OK, it's the recording bit that wont work without a subscription. It seems a waste to have a SKY+ box without the recording facilties. My tv has (will have, as it's being delivered this week....fingers crossed) a TNT HD integrated tuner, so that sorts out the France TV ok.

In a simplistic world I thought I could get an external recorder and have two inputs. One from TV to record the French and one from SKY HD to get the UK stuff.  I thought the Freesat recorder might have been a good alternative as it gives UK HD and (hopefully) have a 2nd input to receive the French TV.

thanks for the info though and sorry to highjack cooperola's post

I think that's the problem crazyfrog.   In a simple world those oh-so-precious-rights-holders wouldn't be holding the rest of us to technical ransom just to protect some over-priced over-hyped bigged-up bit of Hollywood rubbish.   (You can tell I'm not a film-buff can't you).  

I suppose that they in turn would argue that in a simple world there wouldn't be people around who actually want to record the best quality pictures and sound they can,  and there wouldn't be any pirates....

Thanks cooperola

The good thing about working for a public French company is you get a lot of time on your hands. So i spotted the Panasonic box thingy during the day whilst whiling away my happy hours. It's either that one or the Humax. And the good think about the twin tuner is that I can put the TNT stuff through it as well. Tip top. Many thanks

Crazyfrog, you may want to be sure that you can use the Panasanic for French TNT if that is what you mean. It has 2 satellite tuners so I don't know how you will get French sat (including HD)TNT with just this machine. French HD TNT by satellite is only available via Fransat or TNTSAT.

You will need another (French) box for French TNT unless you mean French TNT by rooftop aerial....???

worth checking out before you splash out.

Just a thought

Danny

OK,

Just to be clear (I am not sure if I was clear enough) as well as coming from another satellite, the French TNT channels are only available with a dedicated box (French) and the card which comes with it. You cannot get all the French TNT channels through the Panasonic as they are not free to air channels like most of the main UK ones

So you will need either a TNTSAT decoder/card or a Fransat decoder/card if you want to go down this route. TNTSAT is on Astra 1, 19.0 E which you might get on the same clamp. Fransat is on Altlantic Bird 3 at 5.0 W which I don't think is feasible on the same dish.

Danny