My computer has just come back from a repair however the default browser is now Firefox where as I want to go back to IE as all my passwords etc are saved in it.

Although IE is installed I just cannot seem to be able to stop Firefox 'taking over' ie even when opening IE and searching via google for a link, it just goes back to Firefox.....

I've tried Tools > Internet options but can't find the right bit to click, and the Tools > Internet Options facility doesn't seem to work properly in IE

Any help gratefully received

Assuming they are still there of course !

What was the problem with the computer and what have they said they have done to it, does it look as if it is a clean install of Windows?

Other than a reinstall I can't really see what repair would have changed the default browser. Did you have FF installed previously?

If so and it hasn't had a reinstall it's possible that someone has run it up and ticked the box to make it the default browser.

You are of course going to to change all your passwords now aren't you [blink]

When he took it he said he thought the processor had over heated, when he came back he said it was fixed and he'd cleaned up the 'Start up' and found a couple of viruses.

Despite following the instructions, all links still open in Firefox and while I'm sure he is right and its safer I'd like IE back. Of course I cant see the 'Make IE your default browser' page that I see illustrated on the Internet, there is a box, but ticking it doesn't work.[:(]

How do I view the forum when using

IE8?

• Go to tools (outils in French)
  • Scroll

down to Compatibility Parameters (paramètres d'affichage de

compatibilité
    )

• Add completefrance.com to the

list
  • Alternatively, click on the compatibility icon on the

right-hand side of the address bar:

• The

reply box will be full size and you will be able to post smilies

[quote user="f1steveuk"]You could always just download IE8 and that will give you the option to set as default browser and ask if you want passwords and favourites transfered. Me? I'd stick with Firefox, much better!!
[/quote]

It's a matter of choice really as each browser has its unique foibles. I can't actually get on with Firefox at all and much prefer to use IE because its what I am used too plus more sites are constructed to use the features in IE than other browsers leaving them to play 'catchup'. So I wouldn't say IE is any better or worse than Firefox, its different and I prefer it just as I am sure you prefer using Firefox.

The EU insists that alternative browsers are available; MicroSoft have complied with "Choix de Navigateur" icon on the desktop.

It is now not quite the same procedure for changing the default browser; perhaps on opening your "Choix de Navigateur" icon there appears a window with the following rubric.

Le choix de votre navigateur, une décision importante

Votre navigateur est un logiciel essentiel de votre ordinateur. C'est lui qui vous permet de surfer sur Internet, c'est la fenêtre qui encadre les sites Web que vous visitez.

Plusieurs navigateurs sont disponibles. Chacun possède toute une série de fonctionnalités. Dans l'écran suivant, vous pouvez choisir et installer tous les navigateurs que vous souhaitez.

Avant de continuer, confirmez que vous êtes connecté à Internet.

I haven't really used IE8 that much, but will give it a go. I tried Google Chrome for a while, loved it, but there was two crucial snags that meant I had to switch back (adobe files were physically downloaded rather than opened to print).

If IE8 does everything I want, and more, I'll have no problem switching, my only reservations are that I try and avoid Microsoft products, as 90% of viruses are created to attack them, by using Firefox for browsing, and Incredimail or simply just using my mail providers site and storage for e mails, I close a couple of doors to attack. But yes, it's all personal taste!