Please could someone help by explaining in simple words how to enable me to use my kindle to download here in france via my orange livebox.  I have a desk top which is on USB cable and a netbook which has been on Wi Fi for some years without problem.

I typed in the cle number on the end of my livebox a number of times but each time it is rejected - am I putting in wrong info - the letters in the number are caps whereas on my kindle keyboard they seem to only come up in lower case.

I do have other numbers, passwords etc but they do not seem to connect either.

May be I am being dense but I do remember putting in the cle number onto my netbook without any problem and also for visitors. 

Any help would be gratefully received. 

WendyG

I'm afraid I've never downloaded direct to my kindle in that way - I use my PC or iPad without problem and I suspect I get a better view of whats on offer that way - its just one click [:)] The kindle isn't connected to anything, I just turn my Wi Fi on the Kindle for a few minutes and thats it...

Perhaps Garden Girl or one of the the other kindle users will have more info

The codes are case sensitive. If they are in uppercase you have to type them in upper case otherwise it will never work. There must be a way to toggle between upper and lower case on your kindle. (Failing that,you could change your livebox code to get rid of the u/case characters - but that would be a lot of hassle and shouldn't be necessary!)

It's best to turn off the Wi-Fi when you don't need it (Select "Aeroplane Mode" from the main menu) otherwise the battery charge runs down a lot quicker. I only turn mine on when I've ordered something, then switch it off again.

[quote user="sid"]

It's best to turn off the Wi-Fi when you don't need it (Select "Aeroplane Mode" from the main menu) otherwise the battery charge runs down a lot quicker. I only turn mine on when I've ordered something, then switch it off again.

[/quote]

Mine doesn't say 'Aeroplane Mode'-I just go onto the menu and it say 'wi-fi on/off' Maybe yours is a newer (or older) model than mine. Just thought I'd mention it in case someone is looking for Aeroplane Mode and can't find it.

Mac, That's what mine used to say, but it was updated with new software and it now says "Aeroplane mode".  I have the standard Kindle, was £89 or 99€, (now £69 or 79€) and I've had it since November 2011.  I've forgotten now how the update happened, but I think I got a message, so the upgrade was probably optional. There were a couple of other minor changes, which I've instantly forgotten too! [8-)] 

As the problem is solved, this advice is irrelevant to the OP, and I suppose it may also be irrelevant to those in the vast open spaces of La France Profonde where you maybe don't have several neighbours on the same Wifi channel.

However, we were experiencing a few problems some considerable time ago, as it appeared a lot of the neighbours were all on the same Wifi channel and as a consequence we were getting slower Wifi. So I changed the channel to a less crowded one.

It was then that our Kindles stopped working on the house Wifi.

and it was THEN that I found out that, for some inexplicable reason (but the internet told me, and it turned out to be true) that if you use channel 13, Kindles don't like it.

So, if you ever find you need to change your Wifi channel setting and you have a Kindle, don't use channel 13 if you want to link your Kindle to your Wifi.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]I wonder if that is because channels 13 and 14 are illegal in USA and I suppose the Kindle is an American design (or at least, specification) ?

[/quote]

Yes: in fact the frequencies which correspond to channels 12/13/14 are allocated to other uses in the US, and hence some US-sourced WiFi equipment - particularly early stuff - did not and could not use these channels. I recall having a Belkin repeater that had me foxed for an hour or so because of this.