Expat Shield and Win 8

• 5 months later...
Expat Shield does work on Windows 8. What you need to do is restart your computer in Safe Mode. Here is how to do that:

Step 1: Press Win+R (WIN is the window button on your keyboard) to get the Run dialog. Type “msconfig” (without the quotes) and launch the utility.

Step 2: In the Boot tab, check Safe boot, followed by the type of Safe Mode that you want to achieve (Network Safe Mode is recommended). Hit Apply. That's it, it will prompt you to Restart your computer, just click the Restart button and wait for Windows 8 to restart.

When you get back to your desktop, go online and download Expat Shield from it's main page. Run the setup. It might prompt you to download toolbars or some other none sense, just click Decline or No and finish the download. After it is finished downloading you can test it online in Safe mode before you reboot in Normal Mode (OPTIONAL).

Then Press Win+R to get the Run dialog. Type “msconfig” (without the quotes) and launch the utility again. In the boot tab, deselect Safe Mode boot and click Ok and just restart your computer.

That's it! Now you have a working Expat Shield with no compatibility issues or any annoying pop-ups saying it doesn't work!! Enjoy!!

• 1 month later...

Ok tried this and whilst it appeared to work on switching off the computer and switching on again got the message Bad_Pool_Caller. On switching off again and then on again the computer works but this is clearly not right. Tried it more than once with the same result each time........JR

PS On deleting Expat shield the computer returns to normal working.

Its strange - A friend of mine bunged expat shield on her windows 8 machine with zero problems at all. She is not very computer savvy so I doubt there was anything special in the way she installed it yet it works perfectly.

Its the French version of windows 8 though, if that makes a difference.

[quote user="JasonBourne13"]Expat Shield does work on Windows 8. What you need to do is restart your computer in Safe Mode. Here is how to do that:

Step 1: Press Win+R (WIN is the window button on your keyboard) to get the Run dialog. Type “msconfig” (without the quotes) and launch the utility.

Step 2: In the Boot tab, check Safe boot, followed by the type of Safe Mode that you want to achieve (Network Safe Mode is recommended). Hit Apply. That's it, it will prompt you to Restart your computer, just click the Restart button and wait for Windows 8 to restart.

When you get back to your desktop, go online and download Expat Shield from it's main page. Run the setup. It might prompt you to download toolbars or some other none sense, just click Decline or No and finish the download. After it is finished downloading you can test it online in Safe mode before you reboot in Normal Mode (OPTIONAL).

Then Press Win+R to get the Run dialog. Type “msconfig” (without the quotes) and launch the utility again. In the boot tab, deselect Safe Mode boot and click Ok and just restart your computer.

That's it! Now you have a working Expat Shield with no compatibility issues or any annoying pop-ups saying it doesn't work!! Enjoy!![/quote]

I have a short-cut file that gives access to all Windows 8 start-up options. If anyone would like a copy please PM me.

• 4 weeks later...
Right click on my computer

(if you do not have my computer icon on desktop: right click desktop, click personalise, use the link on the left Desktop icons and make sure my computer is highlighted)

Click Manage

Go to services

find and Stop program compatibility assistant service

Download EXPAT SHIELD from http://www.expatshield.com/

This will mean you avoid rubbish ware

Save the file e.g. desktop

When the file has downloaded right click and rename it whateveryouwant.exe

After renaming the file right click and run as administrator

That’s it all done

You now have a working copy of expatshield

Huw