Sky are planning to stop satellite TV service

The elephant in the room is that for the first time they will be able to enforce the viewing only within the UK.

I watched nothing but French TV for 10 years, I thought then I would be safe to fit a sky dish and watch a bit of each, it only took about 2 weeks before I stopped watching French TV completely [:(]

If the satellite transmission stopped tomorrow and internet viewing was only available to UK customers it would actually be good for me but traumatic for many others.

If true then I would guess it to be predicated on the UK achieving it's pathetically unambitious pipe dream (no pun intended) of a legal right to 10mb for all which has zero practical chance of being realised any time soon.

Assuming that to mean a guaranteed and consistent 10mb and not just an aspirational 'up to' the cost of upgrading not just the hundreds of thousands of crappy copper lines which can't possibly support that sort of speed but more critically the core infrastructure which would be required to eliminate contention is immense but that is the only way to ensure that speed is constant and not dependent on time of day and numbers of people online at any given moment.

Without adequate speed - and 10mb barely qualifies - there is simply no way for a landline to even come close to emulating the multi channel viewing capability of the current crop of Sky Q boxes which makes a killing of the satellite service highly unlikely for many years to come.

Send three and four pence................

Sky is not proposing to stop broadcasting by satellite. The move will allow customers who cannot have a dish or do not want one to get Sky, a spokesperson said. A Sky box will still be required.

Source:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42815603