Desperate

Just come back from our Holiday Home in Normandie, all 6 kittens are still there (I had a few interested people but all inquiries had come to nothing) they are so beautiful and as they have been born in spring they are very healthy but how long, the mother cat is pregnant again and is in a very bad mood with the 6 kittens, they hide from her. I am desperate to find homes for them because our french neighbour is not there much over the winter month. The mother's microchip number is EKX 799. We are going to be there from the 4th November to the 14th. For more detail PM me. Please, I am desperate.

I can't WJT, it just does not work but I can do it when I write an ordinary e-mail to somebody.

Well here it goes I will try again and who knows this time it might work. No the paste button can't be operated. I think the photos are too "big". I have tried to change my Avatar and it does not work either.

Monica, since no one else has offered. You can try to send the photos to me by e-mail and I will have a go. I have done a few but probably the last person that can help with this. However, I can try by sending them to my photobucket.  Maybe worth a try?

Hi we live near Villedieu where do you live please.  Have just lost my lovely Thomas and whom I rescued some 15 years ago and he had to be put to sleep due to renal failure.

I had promised myself and my wife that no more cats and whilst that is my absolute current feelings please either send me an email or pm and plus some photographs for if I decide to adopt then I have to convince my wife!

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Monika, couldn't you get the mother spayed?

[/quote]This occured to me too.  Otherwise, Monika, you're going to be posting the "desperate" thread a couple of times a year for the next 12 years or more.  Still trying on your behalf by the way.

Monika, PM the pics to me and I will put them on a link for you.

Monika, I was able to do it after all! When they came in as blank grey I stupidly didn't think to open them [:$]. In any case here are the kitties.

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/france20fortnight2000512.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/france20fortnight2000112.jpg[/IMG]

I am so pleased that WJT could post the pictures, I tried all afternoon, with Photobucket etc. and it just did not work. Cooperlola if you send me an e-mail the conventional way i.e. not through Forum I will be able to post them to you. You are all wonderful and I feel a bit better that I have support. We did intend to kidnap the mother cat (she really belongs to our French neighbour, although we feed her and the kittens when we are there!) but last time she was still feeding the kittens so we did not want to be guilty to starve the kittens, this time when we arrived at our property she was already pregnant again. I have just posed lots of questions to Tansy at Montebourg Cat refuge regards taking her to the Vet now, or I might even persuade Tansy to take her in, with the promise of active support of the refuge. We live in Segrie Fontaine Llwyncelyn, try to persuade your wife, usually its the husbands which have to be persuaded!!

I was under the impression that it wasn't advisable for pregnant queens to be spayed but having just googled, it appears it is perfectly possible if you can find a vet to do it. And I suspect that won't be difficult in France - bluntly, the killing the embryonic kittens isn't likely to cause any moral conflicts. If you do this, you may have to look after mom for up to a week to prevent her ripping out her stitches too early. I think dissolving stitches are often used in these situations though.

Re the kittens:

About a month ago, I adopted two little "tigre" coloured tabbies from the Chat Mon Ami refuge near Cherbourg - just like those in Monika's photos. If any Normandy people have the current issue of Rendezvous with the Refuge article, mine are the tabby kittens at the top of the first page. They were wary little souls when they arrived. They had snotty noses and and were reluctant to picked up too often. Now, they are having a whale of a time with our two adult Maine Coon cats, the kittens (Pip and Squeak) purr like trains, and they now rush over to us for a cuddle. Especially if they've just been sat on by an 8 kilo Maine Coon. [:-))]

We love cats anyway, but this is the first time we've homed rescue cats and the effort we've put into them has been repaid with interest. They purr, they've clean noses, they eat for... England [:P] and they are joyously happy as they chase around after the senior cats. We've given them that life. You can do the same. If you can home one of Monika's kittens, just do it! it really is worthwhile. I would have had the two ginger kittens - I love ginger cats... but our four are sufficient. If you're tempted, you should really take two kittens as genuinely, they do keep each other company.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/angos/-psgus.jpg

Monika, I will try to do this but will mean becoming a member of the forum.  However, right click on your own link to the photos (above) and click "Copy".  Open your new thread on total france and, where you want to insert the piccies, right click again and then click on "Paste" - the link will appear.  Clever, what?

Done -see http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168050#168050

[quote user="Monika"]Catalpa, your two tigers, Pip and Squeak are very similar to "our" two and your Main Coon seems to have accepted them really well. Isn't he a wonderful cat! Any more pictures?[/quote]

Yes, seeing your two - available for adoption - reminded me of ours. We've two Maine Coons and they've accepted the new kittens brilliantly. Gussie washes Pip and Squeak and they climb all over him; Wacket chases the kittens but is very careful not to land on them and squash them - his acrobatics are very entertaining.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/angos/-gusandsqueak.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/angos/-pands1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/angos/-kitsinabox.jpg

But the point is: your kittens need homes and if the photos of ours, about 4 weeks after adoption, encourage anyone else to do the same, that would be excellent. [:D]

• 2 months later...

I had so many nice replies from you all, that I thought I update you on our latest situation.

There are now three kittens left, 3 have vanished, (the two males and a female tabby), no idea what happened to them. The three kittens left are beautiful and in good health, so is the mother cat. They get fed by our neighbour every two to three days and twice a day when we are there.

My neighbour and his wife joined us in our New Year Celebration and unfortunately I spoiled the evening somewhat by broaching the subject of Neutering them. I suggested that I would come over before the spring, stay for a week and take them to the Vet, we and our other English neighbours would pay for it.

Again he was horrified, he believes in Nature taking its course, I pointed out to him that in May we could have 24 cats. He would not have it, no way would so many survive. My daughter in law showed him some photos of her cats (with a shaven patch and a small scar), he nearly fainted and his wife too. He accused me of cruelty to animals but said as he likes me, he would let me do it but he thinks I am cruel. I then wanted to end the discussion to save the party and said I would discuss it further with him. 

What do you think???